Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Apple's new commercial, cut and paste

Please Login to Remove!

I find it absolutely hillarious that they devoted an entire commercial to cut and paste feature on their new phone. It's a huge joke IMO. It's too bad most people don't know that this feature was missing until now. Just another case to show how creativity and intelligence do NOT go hand in hand.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

You guys crack me up. For months all I've heard is "no copy and paste, sorry, deal breaker" now they add the feature and you still have something to say.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
complexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
For months all I've heard is "no copy and paste, sorry, deal breaker" now they add the feature and you still have something to say.
Yes, I do. It's pathetic that the "geniuses" only got the on the third iteration. And it's even more pathetic that they are out there advertising it.

I find it funny. oh well.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
Yes, I do. It's pathetic that the "geniuses" only got the on the third iteration. And it's even more pathetic that they are out there advertising it.

I find it funny. oh well.
How long has RIM been trying to get their browser right. And don't even get me started on how limited email is on the BB when you use BIS. And how about them battery pulls or lack of Mac support.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

complexx - don't irritate the iPhone-istas....
They get cranky when you question anything.

After all, you never have to do a battery pull on an iPhone. Or a replacement, either...
Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
complexx

Yes, sir!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
They get cranky when you question anything.
LOL, SAC talking about people being cranky...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
How long has RIM been trying to get their browser right. And don't even get me started on how limited email is on the BB when you use BIS. And how about them battery pulls or lack of Mac support.
The iPhone's software seems to get significantly better and more capable every few months while the Blackberry's software languishes; I was shocked at how much faster and better the new iPhone 3GS browser was compared to my Bold running the latest OS.

Here in 2009 I believe that if you have a smartphone with a bad browser, you have a bad smartphone. I've been waiting over a year for RIM to at least signal they're planning to compete with Apple in the mobile browser category, and so far I've seen nothing to indicate that. I'll hang on until OS 5.0 at least to see if they turn things around, but if not I'll likely make the switch as the only remaining iPhone dealbreaker for me is the lack of a physical keyboard, but the new landscape typing mode on the iPhone makes that a lot less of an issue.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I love the Cop & Paste commercial. It looks like Apple invented the technology.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
I love the Cop & Paste commercial. It looks like Apple invented the technology.
and therein lies the genius. It may look dumb to the tech people but to the masses it makes AAPL $$.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

You have to love the advertising world. I had a similar reaction to the whole concept of butt-dialing RIM used to sell the Flip. Yeah, the Flip is a cool phone, but I've never had an issue with my phone dialing in my pocket. It comes with a case. Not a big deal, but if there ever was a problem you never heard about it until they have a solution, which they shove up your keyster and into your heart through constant ads showing happy, healthy, snarky 20-somethings enjoying this new feature/fix.
It reminds me of one particular time when I saw the words "McNuggets now made with real chicken" on a McDonald's daily promo sign. Wait, what were we eating before....exactly?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I can't wait for Apple to invent the replaceable battery!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

As has been said, you guys hammer on the fact that the iPhone didn't have copy and paste and now you hammer on it because it does. Face facts folks, RIM is as much after the consumer user as Apple is. The Pearl, Flip and Curve are all aimed squarely at the consumer user. The problem that RIM has is that the equipment and the OS don't compare favorably with the iPhone in an awful lot of consumers opinions. The overwhelming majority of consumer Blackberry users are not loyal to RIM, they are after the current new shiny.

Throw in Apple's marketing muscle and regardless of what you think about them they sell a million or so phones in a weekend. RIM will never kill Apple and Apple will never kill RIM, but if Apple moves to additional carriers in the US RIM will lose the high end consumer battle once and for all. You know, the market where the Storm resides.

God help the RIM's consumer efforts if there is ever an iPhone Nano.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
As has been said, you guys hammer on the fact that the iPhone didn't have copy and paste and now you hammer on it because it does. Face facts folks, RIM is as much after the consumer user as Apple is. The Pearl, Flip and Curve are all aimed squarely at the consumer user. The problem that RIM has is that the equipment and the OS don't compare favorably with the iPhone in an awful lot of consumers opinions. The overwhelming majority of consumer Blackberry users are not loyal to RIM, they are after the current new shiny.

Throw in Apple's marketing muscle and regardless of what you think about them they sell a million or so phones in a weekend. RIM will never kill Apple and Apple will never kill RIM, but if Apple moves to additional carriers in the US RIM will lose the high end consumer battle once and for all. You know, the market where the Storm resides.

God help the RIM's consumer efforts if there is ever an iPhone Nano.
Agrees 100%. RIMs main advantage now in the consumer market is simply that it is available on all the networks. Absent that, it really isn't that great a consumer device.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
PlatMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 3G S
PIN: ɹʇɐ~`ʇɐɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I can't wait for Apple to invent the replaceable battery!

It's not going to happen. Apple doesn't make devices that have that. They don't want their devices taken apart I believe is why.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone again after having a couple before. They really are not that great and more of a kids item or fad. Plus being on AT&T that really sux. The service isn't all that great anymore.

Having a non replaceable battery (by the consumer that is) and not having an SD removable memory card are 2 big downers along with the network it is on.

As far as the cut and paste, no big deal there. I can type just as fast sometimes as it would take to cut and paste things.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatMan View Post
Having a non replaceable battery (by the consumer that is) and not having an SD removable memory card are 2 big downers along with the network it is on.
The battery thing is not relevant to me at all. The battery is going to hold up for as long as you care to keep the phone. You are going to upgrade when your contract is up and the battery in the phone is going to hold up that long or more. You can also have the battery replaced if it were to begin to fail. My iPod Touch lasts as long today as it did when I bought it a year and a half ago. I am recharging my Pearl several times a day. I wouldn't have a problem with doing that with an iPhone.

The SD card slot is just a weak complaint. The iPhone comes in 8, 16 and 32GB sizes. The best that Blackberry can do is 16GB with an SD card that you have to pay for in addition to the device. Once you pay for the card you can't install apps on it so you are stuck with the meager size of the memory that RIM installs for apps and email storage. Please.

I've been a Blackberry user for since January of 2008 and as soon as I can I am moving to an iPhone. I hope to hear that Verizon is getting one and I will wait until March before I jump, but I will go to AT&T to have it. It does more of what I want and where the Pearl overlaps features the iPhone does it better. If that makes me a kid or a fad follower, then so be it.

For what I pay for a device and monthly service I want it to do the things the way that are best for me. Music, movies, videos, camea, storage, browsing, email and on and on and on.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
PlatMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 3G S
PIN: ɹʇɐ~`ʇɐɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
The battery thing is not relevant to me at all. The battery is going to hold up for as long as you care to keep the phone. You are going to upgrade when your contract is up and the battery in the phone is going to hold up that long or more. You can also have the battery replaced if it were to begin to fail. My iPod Touch lasts as long today as it did when I bought it a year and a half ago. I am recharging my Pearl several times a day. I wouldn't have a problem with doing that with an iPhone.

The SD card slot is just a weak complaint. The iPhone comes in 8, 16 and 32GB sizes. The best that Blackberry can do is 16GB with an SD card that you have to pay for in addition to the device. Once you pay for the card you can't install apps on it so you are stuck with the meager size of the memory that RIM installs for apps and email storage. Please.

I've been a Blackberry user for since January of 2008 and as soon as I can I am moving to an iPhone. I hope to hear that Verizon is getting one and I will wait until March before I jump, but I will go to AT&T to have it. It does more of what I want and where the Pearl overlaps features the iPhone does it better. If that makes me a kid or a fad follower, then so be it.

For what I pay for a device and monthly service I want it to do the things the way that are best for me. Music, movies, videos, camea, storage, browsing, email and on and on and on.
rotflmao .....

SD card a weak complaint? Wow! I like to have an SD card and is a big thing with me because you can swap it from a device to another device or computer. You can use multiple SD cards with different files on them and switch them in an out. No memory card with just internal memory you can't, and that is inconvenient and does sux.

The iPhone you HAVE to use iTunes to download. With an SD card you can use just a computer to put the files on it and then use it in your device.

The battery lasting you the life of the device? Get real. One of my son's has already gone through a battery in his and had to send it in via Registered Certified Mail and insured to have the battery replaced at over $60 by the time you pay the postage and what have ya, let alone the down time he had to go through. Guess what he uses now? A BlackBerry Curve 8330 and loves it much moreso than he did with the iPhone.

Speaking from a working man's view and uses for work as well as personal use, an iPhone just doesn't cut it like a BlackBerry does.

One last thing, wait until the touch screen starts acting up on you and doing weird things, even freezing. This will happen in given time as does with ALL touch screen devices. Another thing I don't like nor do many people in the work place. How many people do you see Manager levels and up in businesses with an iPhone? None. BlackBerry devices are what are used.

Yes, iPhone is more a fad and fun device to use, but NOT a practical device or reliable device to use, especially in the work place. Been there, done it before.

As far as cut and paste ..... that's a joke too. Really!

Enjoy your iPhone and AT&T! Bah Bye! ;)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
dualsub2006

Quote:
rotflmao .....

SD card a weak complaint? Wow! I like to have an SD card and is a big thing with me because you can swap it from a device to another device or computer. You can use multiple SD cards with different files on them and switch them in an out. No memory card with just internal memory you can't, and that is inconvenient and does sux.
Good for you. I have an SD card in my Pearl and I have never swapped it out except when I bought a bigger one. Your point is a reach. Nothing more.

Quote:
The iPhone you HAVE to use iTunes to download. With an SD card you can use just a computer to put the files on it and then use it in your device.
Actually, you are dead wrong. That aside, iTunes is more convenient to use than Desktop Manager, Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder. You spend your time how you like.

Quote:
The battery lasting you the life of the device? Get real. One of my son's has already gone through a battery in his and had to send it in via Registered Certified Mail and insured to have the battery replaced at over $60 by the time you pay the postage and what have ya, let alone the down time he had to go through. Guess what he uses now? A BlackBerry Curve 8330 and loves it much moreso than he did with the iPhone.
Well, you can walk in to a Batteries + store and have it changed out. While you wait. My brother's 1G iPhone (bought on the initial release day) needed a battery due to drops in battery life and that's what he did. He called ahead to make sure they had it and could do it while he waited. The guy did it right in front of him. $45 rings a bell but I could be a little off on that.

If your son is happier on a Curve then good for him. The iPhone isn't for everyone and if he is getting what he wants from the money that he spends then that is precisely all that matters. To him.

Quote:
Speaking from a working man's view and uses for work as well as personal use, an iPhone just doesn't cut it like a BlackBerry does.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Quote:
One last thing, wait until the touch screen starts acting up on you and doing weird things, even freezing. This will happen in given time as does with ALL touch screen devices. Another thing I don't like nor do many people in the work place. How many people do you see Manager levels and up in businesses with an iPhone? None. BlackBerry devices are what are used.
So Storm users are headed for failing screens? Hmm. Anyway. I've had my iPod Touch for over a year and a half. I use it all day, every day. Never a screen issue for me. It is exactly the same as an iPhone, just without the phone bits.

On the "manager" thing; my wife works at a Fortune 50 that has begun to allow people to have an iPhone on their Exchange server. The company only provides Blackberry devices, iPhone users have to buy them. And they are. Lots of them. This particular company isn't dropping their BES server, but they are liking the money they are saving from the iPhone users not being on it. Or so said the newsletter that my wife showed me. She still has a Blackberry on Verizon but March will be here before you know it.

[your opinion]Yes, iPhone is more a fad and fun device to use, but NOT a practical device or reliable device to use, especially in the work place. Been there, done it before.[/your opinion]

Quote:
As far as cut and paste ..... that's a joke too. Really!
We actually agree on that one. I used to look on copy/paste as another weak complaint. I have hardly used it since installing iPod OS 3. Those that wanted it now have it.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:

Yes, iPhone is more a fad and fun device to use, but NOT a practical device or reliable device to use, especially in the work place.
Fanboy alert. That statement you made is a telltale sign of it. I used both BBs and iphones and sorry, the iphone is neither a fad, a toy or un reliable. And if RIM doesn't stop resting on its laurels and update it OS, it will the BB that becomes the fad, not the iphone. I would love to see RIM sell 1 million of any BB in a few days.
Closed Thread