Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #341
slodj

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Thumbs down Big mistake upgrading to another carrier's software release

Please Login to Remove!

I have the same problem - no thumbnails for most of my pictures. I upgraded from the Vodafone .126 that came with my Bold to .190.

Much more of a problem for me is that I can no longer browse the net unless I connect via WiFi. I now only have a hotspot browser option available(via options->Advanced Options->Browser). Previously I could browse the net regardless of whether or not I had an active WiFi connection.

Blackberry Maps has stopped working properly. When I start it up I get the error 'A network error was encountered. Check your server settings'. The app runs but no maps show. In the middle of the screen it says 'No Data Available'.

Vodafone Sat Nav has stopped working. When I start it up it gives the error 'A network error has occurred, please try again. If this problem persists, please check your network settings or contact customer support.'

Google Maps hangs on startup. It displays the initial loading screen and then hangs. To 'unhang' it I have to restart my berry and then switch to the Google Maps application using alt-esc. I then get a fat error : 'Network unavailable:This application requires a data connection, and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit www dot google dot com slash gmm on your computer for more info.'

So far this upgrade has been a bit of a disaster. My joy in owning the best phone on the market has been replaced by a sinking feeling of dread that I might never get it back the way it was, which, in retrospect, was just fine.

I suggest that posters of software upgrades add the disclaimer 'By installing software not of your own carrier you risk messing up many of the services provided by your current carrier eg web browsing, BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps and GPS navigation.'

I'm currently downloading (what I hope is) the original software version that came with my phone. Fortunately I recorded the version before upgrading - another useful thing to do not mentioned in the post about the .190 software upgrade. I'm hoping that a re-install of the original software will fix things.

Any other suggestions on how I can un-bork my berry will be most welcome.

Last edited by slodj; 12-28-2008 at 05:18 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #342
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange

hello!!! new with a Bold hear! I'm running on Orange network in Dominican Republic and i'm getting lag time on the delivery of the messages. I'm currently thinking on upgradind to .190 since my BB is on 4.6.0.162. But is this worth it?? Also my BB is unbranded and unlocked. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #343
Serkle K
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodj View Post
I have the same problem - no thumbnails for most of my pictures. I upgraded from the Vodafone .126 that came with my Bold to .190.

Much more of a problem for me is that I can no longer browse the net unless I connect via WiFi. I now only have a hotspot browser option available(via options->Advanced Options->Browser). Previously I could browse the net regardless of whether or not I had an active WiFi connection.

Blackberry Maps has stopped working properly. When I start it up I get the error 'A network error was encountered. Check your server settings'. The app runs but no maps show. In the middle of the screen it says 'No Data Available'.

Vodafone Sat Nav has stopped working. When I start it up it gives the error 'A network error has occurred, please try again. If this problem persists, please check your network settings or contact customer support.'

Google Maps hangs on startup. It displays the initial loading screen and then hangs. To 'unhang' it I have to restart my berry and then switch to the Google Maps application using alt-esc. I then get a fat error : 'Network unavailable:This application requires a data connection, and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit www dot google dot com slash gmm on your computer for more info.'

So far this upgrade has been a bit of a disaster. My joy in owning the best phone on the market has been replaced by a sinking feeling of dread that I might never get it back the way it was, which, in retrospect, was just fine.

I suggest that posters of software upgrades add the disclaimer 'By installing software not of your own carrier you risk messing up many of the services provided by your current carrier eg web browsing, BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps and GPS navigation.'

I'm currently downloading (what I hope is) the original software version that came with my phone. Fortunately I recorded the version before upgrading - another useful thing to do not mentioned in the post about the .190 software upgrade. I'm hoping that a re-install of the original software will fix things.

Did you try re-sending your service books? That could be why data isnt working, and possibly solve the issue with .190 for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #344
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodj

As long as you have a data plan from your carrier all should be fine.

As far as doing all the disclaimers, etc. one should actually do their own research before loading an OS to their device. If you did you'd know that it has nothing to do with the fact that the OS I'd not from your carrier. OS's are not branded to a particular carrier. Theya re developed by RIM for a particular device type, sent to all carriers that offer that device and then releaaed by the carriers as they desire. That's when the filename is changed and the vendor.xml data is added (whej sent to the carriers there is no data in the xml)

Unless this is an unlocked device being used on another network that doesn't offer the Bold everything should work normally. Its possible there is a short outage affecting the device and preventing it from registering on the network.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #345
slodj

Carrier: Vodafone

I discovered the problem. I needed to go into the host routing table and re-register with BlackBerry. Now everything is back to normal. Thanks for the heads up about software releases. I apologise for the disclaimer suggestion. The installation process states at the top that wireless activation is required after installation. I didn't notice it the first time around. My bad. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by slodj; 12-28-2008 at 11:24 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #346
jin8k

Carrier: TIM

I have Italian TIM bold.
3 days ago, I started having problems such as heating up and battery draining issues, and no navigation at all using 3G...
So, I upgraded to 190 following the instruction and resent all the service books.

I see some ppl complain about frozen programs such as google map, well I also had that problem, but fixed deleting and reinstalling all the programs.

Thumbnail issues? strange I don't have that problem, all my picture thumbnails are shown (all of them wallpapers) and I also tested taking a picture with Bold which is stored in the camfolder (i designated) and it shows the thumbnail.

One great thing about this version? The battery life improved significantly!!!
Mine used to last only 23 hours even inside the holster most of the times, now 2 days straight without charging and still half the battery meter is full (and not half empty

Everything works smooth and no complain at all from my part at least!

Happy New Year and let's rebuild our investment banking sector in 2009! Hurrah!!! (assuming many bb users are in IB industry or related)
Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #347
lorenczak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: att

Got my Bold day before yesterday. Upgraded to .190 just now and I too, am not able to see thumbnails on my photos. Grrrr....
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #348
B-17 Pilot

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT & T
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-vn View Post
Ok. So I have 2 problems after the upgrade....

1) Picture thumbnails, I can preview them? How do I fix them?

2) I set my background to a picture I transferred from my computer. When I use the usb cable to use desktop manager, it automatically switches back to the ROGERS Red background.. Which I THEN have to go and change it back to my background picture I previously backed MANUALLY.

it's really frustrating, anyone know how to fix it?
I had upgraded my OS to .190 and also had those two problems. I then upgraded again to .214 and the picture thumb nails came back. I still have the problem of my wallpaper changing back to the AT&T standard logo. . .all I do is manually change it each time! I'm sure it will be addressed shortly. My main issue is with my Bluetooth connection with my car! There is about a 7 second delay in connecting when I make or receive a call. . .you don't know when your call actually goes through! The devices are connected properly, I just think this is another issue that has to be addressed.

Last edited by B-17 Pilot; 12-29-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #349
boldover
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
New OS for the 9000 from AVEA.
This OS will load to ANY carrier's 9000 model by following the instructions below.
(Multilanguage version)

Details
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.331 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.331
Applications: 4.6.0.190
Software Platform: 4.0.0.172
File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel331_PL4.0.0.172_A4.6.0.190_AVEA. exe
File size: 93.55MB

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...F22A6C2A830A17

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

To find the previous OS version for the 9000 Bold, click here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Thanks to: leed1 & Horizon Wireless Online
When I attempt to run the Loader.exe it asks me for my device password. Is this the same as unlocking my phone from locked mode after it has been sitting idle for a few minutes?

I tried my unlock password and it does not work.

Help

Update: NVM..I got it working.

Last edited by boldover; 12-30-2008 at 02:50 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #350
OriginalLucy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Rogers

I cannot believe that there have been so many beta's out there and .190 is still the official release. I still have .162 running.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #351
pratikjammy87

PIN: 22c93c9b
Carrier: Bharti airtel
Lightbulb loading o.s 4.6 on bb curve 8320

hiiiii,
it mi8 be silly to ask,can i load the o.s 4.6 on bb curve 8320 as i really dont like the version 4.5 personally!!if any one tried it out?can you help it out plzzzzz
Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #352
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No, you can't. OS's are device specific. Only an 8320 OS will load on an 8320, etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #353
aamato
Thumbs Must Hurt

i just upgraded to .190 from .167. First i got an error when i tried installing via the loader.exe. Then i tried upgrading via DM and it went smooth. So far no problems at all.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #354
aleph

Carrier: at&t
Default UK English only?

OK, so as with everyone else, this only works by running the loader.exe file directly.

But I noticed as I was going through the various screens to upgrade that the only English language option available was UK English. Is there a .190 version available with US English?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #355
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Every OS has US English. The UK English is an add-on.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #356
aleph

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Every OS has US English. The UK English is an add-on.
Great, thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #357
PaulPoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520

Are there any Orange Bold users (UK) out there? I'm dying to look into using UMA and im told its not on the OS 4.6.0.162

I'm told there should be an update for this as there is an issue with the 3G radio and WiFi which is stopping the UMA working. I really want to use UMA as my signal is shocking.

any help or pointers would be awesome
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #358
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Its not possible at this time.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #359
PaulPoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520

:( doh! thats a bit rubbish... any ideas when it might well be sorted?

thanks for the quick reply
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #360
connor1

Carrier: vodafone UK

Wirelessly posted

I've found with my berry that it seems to sporadically turn itself off? Has anyone else come across this issue? Sometimes I'll be listening to music, other times it'll be holstered up and after a an hour of two I'll be like, "man this has been quiet for a while", then realise its turned itself off.
It only seems to be since running .190...

Any advice would be grately received.
Closed Thread