Old 10-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
MajinSTi

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8300 LCD backlight not working

Please Login to Remove!

hello all.

i have searched this site (through google) to address the issue i'm having but have not been able to find help, so i figured i'd join in hopes of finally rectifying the issue at hand.

story: my father just passed away suddenly with a heart attack (no history of heart trouble).

my mother and i went to portugal to take care of some paperwork and while there, my curve fell into a sink full of water (i was shaving).

i immediately pulled the phone out, popped off the back cover, removed the battery, shook out whatever water i could and let it air dry for about 4 or 5 days (can't remember exactly).

when i finally put it back together and turned it on, the phone worked, but after a little, the LCD screen light started flickering and eventually stayed turned off.

fast forward to coming home... after i got back to the US, i tried turning the phone on again. nothing happened. i plugged the phone into the charger and even though the screen stayed unlit, i used a flashlight to view the screen and a battery image was displayed with a red line through it. after some research, i realized that the battery was below it's minimum level of charge. i "jumped" the battery back to life using an old USB cable and charged it over night. that worked great.

i purchased some torx keys at my local computer supply chain and took the phone apart to the board. i used contact cleaner (spray) to clean all of the components and chips (the spray is meant for that and is safe for plastics).

after reassembling the phone, i turned it on to see that it looked and [seemingly] worked a little bit better, but the LCD was still dark.

i then ordered a new LCD, received it today, put it into the phone (hoping that the backlight problem resided in the LCD), but was unhappily surprised to see that it didn't turn on.

i went through the menu options of turning the backlight dimmer off to be sure to give it a chance to turn at 100% (which the current settings are set to now), but to no avail.

also, to perplex me further, the keyboard backlight works properly and still turns on.

can someone please help me? i appreciate your time in advance - and thank you for reading my thread.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
MajinSTi

bump for suggestions.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me....only it was a toliet - don't ask.....

I pulled it out in less than a second and it never even hit bottom. Phone still worked great, but the LCD went to about 40% and was worthless outside in the sun. I tried all kinds of stuff and never got it working again. I gave up and got a new one. That was 6 months ago and I just pulled it out and tried it and it is the same way.

This of course is of NO use to you, other than not feeling alone in your plight........ =)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
MajinSTi

unlucky: that doesn't really help me much (as you said), but i do appreciate the moral support! :D

anyone else able to help?

is there a backlight on the LCD? which component on the motherboard relates to providing power for the LCD backlight?

i researched many forums on the internet and this one seemed like it had the least amount of idiotic "help, i didn't read my manual and can't change ..." threads. prove me right!
Closed Thread