BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
jdmass

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Warning: Jawbone may not honor your warranty!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I recently had a surprising and disappointing experience. I purchased a brand new Jawbone headset online and after about 2 weeks of use, the microphone portion of the headset simply stopped working.

Upon contacting Jawbone, I was told that their one year warranty only applied to the "original" owner. When I tried to argue that I was the original owner, I was told that I had not purchased from an "authorized" seller and therefore I was the second owner regardless of whether the headset had ever been used. I tried to argue the point but the person I spoke to claimed that the only authorized sellers in the U.S. were Jawbone's own online store and AT&T/Cingular. If purchased anywhere else, the warranty would not be honored. I asked to speak to a supervisor who also repeated this and would not budge an inch from this policy.

While Jawbone certainly has a right to such a policy, I find it to be seriously consumer unfriendly, since there is nothing on their website (at least that I could find) that would have led me to suspect that I was not entitled to warranty service.

I have not encountered such behavior from other vendors, and I just wanted people to be aware before considering Jawbone.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I see the jawbone on Ecost.com and other reputable internet vendors. Are they not "authorized sellers"? What, did they all hi-jack a truckload of jawbones off I-95?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass View Post
I recently had a surprising and disappointing experience. I purchased a brand new Jawbone headset online and after about 2 weeks of use, the microphone portion of the headset simply stopped working.

Upon contacting Jawbone, I was told that their one year warranty only applied to the "original" owner. When I tried to argue that I was the original owner, I was told that I had not purchased from an "authorized" seller and therefore I was the second owner regardless of whether the headset had ever been used. I tried to argue the point but the person I spoke to claimed that the only authorized sellers in the U.S. were Jawbone's own online store and AT&T/Cingular. If purchased anywhere else, the warranty would not be honored. I asked to speak to a supervisor who also repeated this and would not budge an inch from this policy.

While Jawbone certainly has a right to such a policy, I find it to be seriously consumer unfriendly, since there is nothing on their website (at least that I could find) that would have led me to suspect that I was not entitled to warranty service.

I have not encountered such behavior from other vendors, and I just wanted people to be aware before considering Jawbone.
intriguing, i just ordered a set from jawbone.com last week, it will arrive tomorrow. i assume you did not buy from jawbone direct or at&t, right ?

when i was looking at the headset on jawbone's site, there were some comments about warranty coverage that made me think about where i'd want to go to get this headset. it says that the warranty on the headset, no matter where purchased, will be covered to the extent of the seller or store selling the device. i can understand your frustration, but "reading the fine print" can save your butt in the future. Aliph's response doesn't really alarm me much, it's not a really big company, and they want tighter quality control to keep from dealing with counterfeits & the like.

when i was shopping around, i saw an unusual number of "jawbones" available on ebay who's origin was Hong Kong or China. at the price they were going for (about 80 bucks) and the claim they were genuine, i speculated a bit. to order something from another country and find you got a counterfeit item after 20 + days waiting for it to arrive really sucks. so i opted out.
financially, i could care less about paying an extra 10 or so bucks in tax or shipping or whatever, and 120 bucks for the headset really won't make much of a dent in my weekly allowance, but it's in my nature to be fickle when shopping, so that i get the best all-around deal.

i went around in circles a few times, and eventually wound up on jawbone's site, where i ordered my copy of this headset.

i recommend you contact your seller or store you bought this from, and ask to return it for another brand new or a refund.

BTW - - buyers beware - - bestbuy stores stock this headset in black. taking advantage of the cliche that the black headset is by far the coolest looking most sought after, they are retailing it at 140. the packaging looked sturdy enough that i was tempted to grab it off the hanger and smack the nearest bestbuy rep upside the head with it.

Last edited by zero7404; 07-24-2007 at 11:22 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I see the jawbone on Ecost.com and other reputable internet vendors. Are they not "authorized sellers"? What, did they all hi-jack a truckload of jawbones off I-95?
i-95 is huge...which part do you recon ?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I've seen the Jawbone at the Apple stores....do they not honor the warranty if you buy from there either?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I've seen the Jawbone at the Apple stores....do they not honor the warranty if you buy from there either?
if u walk into an apple store, ask them what thier warranty policy is with that, i'd like to know too.
it'd be interesting to see the answer, how do these headsets wind up in retail stores not even recognized by Aliph ? Apple, Bestbuy, wtf ?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The answer is you should be able to return it to the Apple store. It sounds similar to the relationship between RIM, the cell phone carriers, and the end users.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
jdmass

Quote:
According to what I was told and based on my experience with Aliph, Ecost.com et al. are not "authorized". If you check the Jawbone website the only business partners that they list are: Colette (a French location), AT&T, and Kirna Zabete (not sure who they are).

It's possible that they've cut a deal with Apple or others and have not updated their site. My conversation with Aliph where they specifically told me only AT&T or jawbone.com for US buyers took place about 2 weeks ago. If you choose to buy from any other vendor, I would strongly urge getting confirmation with the vendor and Aliph on how warranty matters would be handled.

I had purchased through an established eBay store, who was kind enough to provide a replacement although they advertised that a manufacturer's warranty was included.

If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased a Jawbone. It's just not worth the hassle when there are so many other companies who are actually willing to stand behind their products.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Based on this thread, it doesn't look like anyone's checked, so I'll post my findings here . . .

Aliph's web site makes no exclusions regarding place of purchase in the warranty displayed on-line. It simply states that proof of purchase is required, not that the warranty is valid only for units purchased from authorized resellers.

For gits and shiggles, I called eCost (often has the Silver Jawbone listed @ $79 + s/h) and queried them specifically about the Jawbone warranty. The CSR I spoke with claimed that eCost will assist in every way possible in obtaining warranty repair or replacement, to the extent of replacing it themselves if necessary. Of course, this was pre-sale, so who knows what would pan out once they've got your money.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Ecost is pretty good in my book, as we order a good bit from them in business sales. Never had a problem with them exchanging an item. However, this could be quite different, 6 months later.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Ecost is pretty good in my book, as we order a good bit from them in business sales. Never had a problem with them exchanging an item. However, this could be quite different, 6 months later.
I agree ecost has always been gracious to the consumer I have returned several things to them with out the first hassle what so ever.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Based on this thread, it doesn't look like anyone's checked, so I'll post my findings here . . .

Aliph's web site makes no exclusions regarding place of purchase in the warranty displayed on-line. It simply states that proof of purchase is required, not that the warranty is valid only for units purchased from authorized resellers.
This is exactly my complaint!

If Aliph did make this more explicit on their website then I would have less of an issue with them. Instead when you call them for a warranty replacement, they point out the following language from their warranty:

"AliphCom ("Aliph") warrants to you, the original retail purchaser ("Consumer"), that this product ("Product") will under normal use operate substantially in accordance with the accompanying documentation for a period of one (1) year from date of original purchase."

and

"The limited warranty extends only to Consumer and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser or user."

They then tell you that if you did not purchase from the vendors listed in my post at the beginning of this thread that you are NOT considered the "original" purchaser and therefore not entitled to warranty service.

I have no doubt that reputable online vendors like eCost will work to ensure their customers' satisfaction and that may very well include replacing the unit. I just think that Aliph's position on this is pathetic.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Sounds like a letter to the BBB and California State Attorney General's office, along with the San Francisco office of the Department of Consumer Affairs might be in order. eCost and other retailers did not purchase their stock "at retail." Only the consumer does that. If Aliph is wholesaling these devices out to retailers, then you're a retail purchaser.

Regardless, most state consumer protection agencies claim that any warranty should be initially handled with the place of purchase regardless of any language to the contrary in the sales contract.
Closed Thread