PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Default Phantom handheld software, Telstra to Bharti

Please Login to Remove!

OK...quick rundown:

Cingular 8700c
BES and BIS
Currently Telstra OS (.309)

Attempting to "downgrade" to .284 to see if my BES attachment problem can be fixed.

Followed Seattle's newly revised instructions, and I'm still having .msi errors.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764

I thought I had it figured out, but upon further inspection, I can't actually remove 4.1 handheld software from my computer because of this .msi error.

Basically, I can't get past step 1a. It LOOKS like I can, but in the end, the desktop software won't auto upgrade me because it still sees the .309.

I've re-downloaded all the software, and have even re-downloaded the original Cingular OS in an effort to repopulate the "Blackberry 8700.msi" file/app...and no luck.

My BB is functioning, so it's not dire, but could really use some help to fix this.

Please understand that I've exhausted the options/scenarios that have already been suggested by those with a similar issue. All my searching on .msi errors have either led to BES Admin posts that don't make sense to me, or posts with ideas that I've tried, but haven't worked.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Have you tried a search on google for the full file name +download. That is what I do when I am missing a file called for example "gold.psi" I search for "gold.psi download" most of the time I find what I am looking for.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

- Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
- Delete the 8700-whatever folder in there
- Install new software
Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310

Great suggestions, both.

However, I tried both, and neither seemed to be the solution.

- Googled the file, and got literally zero hits.
- Had 3 different 8700 folders in the Loader Files. Deleted them all, and the error still comes up when trying to install new OS (missing .msi).

These suggestions are wonderful. Please keep them coming. Keeps me from pulling my hair out...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Tmobile

How about download and install both the desktop and Telstra handheld software, un-install both, re-install desktop software and the new BHARTI handheld software.
Sounds like you un-installation file went south.

Another way that I use to do before "after trying out the software" and want to clean it out of my system.

Do a search on windows for "BLACKBERRY" "RESEARCH IN MOTION" "RIM"and delete.
Go to regedit and do the same search and delete.
Your mileage might vary, one wrong delete will render your windows operating system.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR900RR
How about download and install both the desktop and Telstra handheld software, un-install both, re-install desktop software and the new BHARTI handheld software.
Sounds like you un-installation file went south.

Another way that I use to do before "after trying out the software" and want to clean it out of my system.

Do a search on windows for "BLACKBERRY" "RESEARCH IN MOTION" "RIM"and delete.
Go to regedit and do the same search and delete.
Your mileage might vary, one wrong delete will render your windows operating system.
LOL You beat me to it. I was reading this and was just about to suggest a full uninstall (including going to Program Files and deleting this too) and reinstall of everything then trying to re-do the BES activation.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 05-11-2006 at 06:33 PM..
Old 05-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Last (and probably least) - do you have Microsoft Windows Installer v3.1 (the latest)?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Well...more bad news...

Since my last post, I've done the following:

- Updated Windows Installer
- Uninstalled Desktop Manager
- Reinstalled DM

The .msi file is still missing, and I can't uninstall or even install ANY handheld software now.

In addition, I plug in my BB, and my DM gets hung in an endless "working" loop. So now IT'S useless.

Please help!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

format.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
KonTiki

I ran into that missing .msi problem a while back and the only solution I had was what jibi suggested, reformatting the machine. So sorrry guy but that is the only option right now, if you have another computer or laptop available to you install your BB stuff there and see what you can do there.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 05-16-2006 at 07:28 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Now the whole handset is fried apparently.

It "blue screened" on me, so I did a hard reset. Been stuck on the "Cingular" startup screen for about 30 minutes.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
saa001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Default Similar problem

I just upgraded from Cingular to T mobile and tried to put the T Mobile software several times without success (uninstalling the software for both desktop and handheld software).

Finally I uninstalled and deleted all folders on my hard drive referencing RIM (I had a problem with one subfolder, but I was able to move it and then it had no effect on the install). Once I did that, the install went perfectly according to thw directions that Seattle18 has on this forum.

So try not only uninstlalling but also deleting the RIM folders (both under their own folder and also under the common foloder) and then installing. I didn't lose a single name/phone number and my installed apps were still there.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Resolution!

Well...it's definitely NOT the scenario I had hoped for, but at least I've found a conclusion to this.

Thanks to Tiki and Jibi, as they've hit it head on. A missing .msi file is pretty much death for the PC. Luckily, all my specific stuff is network-based, so to re-image the HD is no big deal, as I can re-populate all my work stuff.

After my BB blue screened on me and lock up permanently, I called RIM BB support, and after 2.5 hours on the phone with them, we were able to get it back up and running.

I had to use a co-worker's computer, load DM onto it, and then downloaded the Cingular standard 8700 OS. It took some time, but we got the handheld wiped completely clean, and started from scratch.

Now that I'm at least functional again (albeit with the standard OS...yuck!), I'll wait until my IT guy wipes my computer, and then install the .284.

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions/comments. I'm just glad I'm back to normal.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

You're welcome.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
KonTiki

I am just glad you are back up and running, like they say here. it is an addiction, and once addicted it is withdrawal pain, cold sweats, and tremors, isn't it?

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

SOOOOO true. It's the downside to it being my phone, as well. I could live without e-mail and such for a small period of time, but my job requires me to be pretty accessible, so with no home phone, my BB is really the only way to get a hold of me.

FWIW, my PC is still having major issues. The handheld is working fine, but the phantom OS versions won't go away. To make matters worse, DM doesn't even recognize that there's an OS to begin with. Weird.

My IT guy want's to re-image the drive as a last resort. Silly computer techs.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
blurrnin

Model: 8700

I just had the same issue. All you need to do is start the install of the 8700 Handheld software. This puts the BlackBerry 8700.msi file in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp\_is2. Then copy it out and stop the install. When it asks for the file point it to where you saved the .msi
Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #18
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Actually...none of that would've worked. We had to not only re-image the machine, but my network profile as well. The error was imbedded deeeeeep.

After we found it and cleared it, I loaded the DM, Cingular OS, and then the Bharti OS, and have been fine ever since.
Closed Thread