BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 04:42 AM   #41
Grammer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I am one of those people that talk with their hands. I was over a buddies house a couple of days ago for a small get together, we were in his basement. Anyway I had just finished checking a message I had recieved when they asked me to tell someone a story of mine they were talking about, so with BB still in hand, off I went. Well half way into the story I got a little too carried away and while telling the story my 7100t slipped out of my hands straight into the ceiling then the 8 feet back down onto the ceramic tile floor. As everyone else's jaw dropped, I kept on talking with just a small pause and a "it'll be fine." Finished the story, picked up the BB, and it works fine. And I now have this story to tell.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #42
apremji

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default Scratches

Did you get any scratches on the face? Were you able to removie them?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM   #43
racarusotheoreo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 650TR

Ha - if these stories don't convince me of the insatiable tendency of the BB to survive impossible falls, I don't know what will.

If my Treo falls even a 1.5 feet to the floor of my Blazer it knocks the SIM loose!

And some guys' BB survived a 9 FOOT FALL?

JMJ. Holy crap, that's impressive. Seriously. I hope SAD uses these - that's incredible. I've heard some impressive "tech survival" stories from a DIA buddy of mine (his Moto v400 surviving shrapnel from an IED) but a 9 FT is exemplary.

Holy crap.

"Treo - me and Michelle Blackberry were talking and - we're happy together and we don't want you anymore...give us some "

Last edited by racarusotheoreo; 07-18-2005 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #44
D-Mace37

Model: 7250

..an example of how great this thread is.....
I used to have an XV 6600 dropped it once, and it did not break, but my heart was racing and i was paranoid for the rest of the week. Yesterday while standing outside my building my BB fell off my hip onto the floor about 3-4 feet. Immediately thought of this thread and did not even sweat for a moment picked it up and just went about my day.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #45
creep

Our RIM rep routinely throws his personal BB 7-8 feet in the air and lets it hit the ground, just to show people how tough the device is. Try that with your Treo...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #46
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeyben
I'm not sure how many of you have one of these holsters or not but it seems to hold my BB 7520 very well. It is made by RIM so it has the magnet in it. The only down side it the clip dosen't rotate. It holds the BB very securley and is soft on the inside so it won't scratch the BB. With this holster all of you that keep accidently dropping it while putting it in the clip wont have that problem any more. I got mine on ebay for $15 plus $5 for shipping.
That's a good case except for the clip. The clip on the original case is much better.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #47
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

My nephew was over the other night and thought, in all of his 4yrs of wisdom, would clean my personal blackberry by submerging it in his glass of koolaid.

After a quick baking in the oven, it is still working and smells like watermelon now too!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #48
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Don't Send Your Wife

I finally saved the money for my first BlackBerry and of course when I went to Verizon they were out of stock and they had to order it. Finally it comes in but on a day that I am stuck in meetings out of state. So I sent my wife to pick it up......she takes two steps out the door at Verizon and drops it...has a few scratches on the front and back but thankfully no scratches on the display and works like a charm...by the way, my wife was scared to come home because she knows how I am when it comes to buying something new and it's damaged...expecially for the $300 dollar price tag...of course I told my wife that she should never be scared to come home.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #49
cougre

This was a few years ago when I had the pager-sized 950. It was winter and we went up to our cabin on vacation. There was 3 feet of snow on the ground and we had to shovel our way in. When we finished unpacking the car, I realized that my holster was empty. I knew that I had it when I began shoveling because I had checked the time.

Well I spent and hour going back over the area, but it was hopeless, getting dark, and starting to snow. Two days later it stopped snowing so I did some more shoveling and lo and behold in one of the shovels full I saw a black clump go flying. I recovered it to find my ice encrusted 950.

I took it inside and warmed it in my hands enough to get the ice off of it. Then I popped out the battery and set it down in front of the fire place. I checked it a couple of hours later and it seemed thoroughly warmed so I popped the battery back in and it came back to life. I wasn't able to test that it was fully functional until we left the mountains but it indeed survived without a scratch. I was impressed.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #50
StarLog

Model: 7520

Mark,

I cannot imagine talking ona BB, after it took a nose dive on the bathroom floor...

Ewww
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #51
NewBerry05

Model: 7100T
Default 7100T Goes For a Swim

Well, I read this thread too late, on how to survive water damage. It happened a few hours ago -- full immersion in the pool for perhaps a soild minute. And it was on.

I don't expect it to survive but here's how bad it was:

FULL immersion in the pool, probably anywhere from 30 secs to 2 mins. When I took it out, it was still on, showing the Tmobile spinner thingy. Guess it was rebooting to swimming mode. I took the battery and sim card out, dried it off and thats when I noticed that there was so much water under the screen, it looked like one of those snow globes without the snow.

I was able to get all that water out. Now its baking in the Arizona heat and who knows, maybe it has a SLIGHT chance but I'm not counting on it. Tomorrow I will leave it in the car where it WILL get up to 150ish. How would one bake it at 150-180 degrees? My oven doesnt do that. Doesn't matter, I dont have distilled water or the special screwdrivers.

If it survives this, I think I'll be the winner for best survival without extraordinary ressucitation techniques. Don't hold your breath.

I suppose my insurance isn't going to cover it. My insurance is with the company that sold it to me, not T-Mobile, so this should be interesting. Anyone know any good 7100T deals? This will be an expensive swim.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #52
Intrigue

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon wireless

My girlfriend actually threw it today because she thought i spent retail on it (450$) It bounced off the wall onto the kitchen tile (in the holster). No dings, or scratches, working fine.

While it was in the air, images of HER flying across the room went through my mind. Grrrrrr
VZW Treo 700p
Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #53
Intrigue

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon wireless

Update:

Today got in a REALLY bad car accident. 90mph combined speed, nearly head on. I got pretty messed up; the blackberry flew out of the holster nailed the windsheild, fell on the dash, and slid on the floor.

Worked well enough to call 911 ;) Ambulance came, massive bruising of chest, pelvis, and abdomen, concussion, skin got ripped off my neck, some kind of metal cut my arm up pretty good, nice laceration on my head, some good bleeding.

BUT! The blackberry survived with only minor bruises! Talk about tough (tougher than I am, obviously)

(BTW: The accident wasn't my fault or the guy who hit me's fault; it was some other guy who was racing, and he happened to conveniantly leave the scene. luckily another motorist got his tag, and I hope he gets the book.. Got me out of work for the day, a ride in an ambulance, and some memory loss. But all is well, and the airbag saved my life (but ripped the skin off my neck)
VZW Treo 700p
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #54
TayeDrummer

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

Hope you're gonna be OK Intrigue.

These stories are hysterical. I cracked three screens on my Treo 600 in three weeks before giving up and buying a 7250. One cracked screen was the result of a fall from my belt clip to the floor of my F-150!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #55
NewBerry05

See the pool story a few posts ago.

It survived and I did NOTHING to try to save it.

I even turned it on early, less than 24 hrs later, and it started to come up but the display was messed up, then it shut itself off.

Now less, than 48 hrs later, it works. One key works only intermittently, and an insurance replacement is on the way. But it works and I am utterly amazed.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #56
NewBerry05

Wow Intrigue, hadnt notice your car accident story until now. Hope you're OK man.

As far as Blackberrys, these stories, and now my pool story, I am now offically amazed at their resiliency.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #57
Telecom Lackey

Model: 7520

Today i droped my 7520 on the train tracks at 51 street train station. Fortunatly it was not close enough to the rail or the 2 trains that passed over it would have demolished it. but it is working fine
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #58
ticklemejoviemo

I just broke up with my girlfriend of two years about two weeks ago.. we were talking on the phone a few days later, and it was very emotional.. I was on my 7250, and i started crying all over it. After the phone call, i stumbled into my room, and tried to call another friend of mine, only to realize that my BB started flipping out and pressing random numbers/letters like crazy!

i kept trying to reset it, and everytime it would reboot, it would just start pressing everything. Next day, i woke up, grabbed it, went to work. Low and behold, it worked fine! Only problem is i really have to press the power/backlight button hard for it to work. other than that, its great.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #59
jclark93

Default 7230 still alive

Great survival stories in that thread! I got one own myself. I have owned RIM devices since 1997. The first one was 900, the one with flip over display, then 950, 957, 7230 and now 7250. God knows how many times I have dropped RIM devices onto concrete, asphalt, hardwood etc... Always worked fine.

Last year winter, I live on farm and it was a quite long driveway to public road and there was snow and my friend got stuck in snow after visiting my place during night. So I helped him by towing with my 4x4 truck. Apparently my 7230 popped off from my holster while I was underneath his car hooking up with tow cable.

I realized I lost my 7230 in the next day and I thought I might have mis-placed somewhere in my house. I looked everywhere, no luck. So I accepted the fact that I lost my 7230. Then about one month later, my farm worker happen to run out of gas in John Deere Gator, then walked up to shop to get can of gasoline. Then when he was walking toward Gator, he spotted something shiny on side of road, so he walked toward it and he picked up what turned out to be 7230. I was thrilled when he gave it to me. I took out the battery and let it dry for a day or two, then recharge it and it works fine like new!

That 7230 was sitting outside the whole time in snow, thawing, freezing, lots of rain. Don't think other device would have survived that abuse.

Jamie
Old 08-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #60
Pharma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: cingular

One of the notes admins at my old job was golfing an he hit his ball in the water. He went to get the ball out when his blackberry fell out of his front shirt pocket into the water. He picked his ball out of the water first, threw it on the grass, then he grab his submerged 7250, which after some time of letting it air dry, it started working again. Screen seemed a little faded, but it worked.

Had a my new IT director on his second day dropped his 2 day old 7750 an it hit the arm of his chair, the screen didn't work anymore and guess who had to switch out their 7750 with him?

Now I have owned many different models and the first 6750 I had was sitting on the table at a restaurant when one of my IT manager was goofing around with my younger brother and knocked his 23 ounce pilsner of newcastle right on top of my blackberry. One of my fellow admins was like aren't you going to wipe the beer off, an I said no, he just bought me a new 7750, the one my director ended up getting....lol.

Need help? ...just ask
Closed Thread