BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
bambyy@hotmail.com

Model: 7130e
Default 7130e with OUTLOOK 2003 does not complete the CONTACTS sync , stops after 1200 names

Please Login to Remove!

I have recently started using the BLB 7130E and sync to MS OUTLOOK 2003. The Desktop Manager handles the intellisync well , doing the tasks, calender, etc, untill contacts. After 1210 contacts it gives me a message" unable to write or update application data", and I don't think it is due to lack of memory, as I can still add new contacts into the handheld directly.
None of the contacts that are not syncing have any attachements (as far as I can tell, HOW would I know?)

Thanks in advance for any help
S. G
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
wycliffe

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default I posted this a little while ago

but it worked for me...

The following is a Cingular ATG(R) eServer solution:

ID: KB45491

Fact Blackberry Desktop Manager

Fact Microsoft Windows 2000

Fact Microsoft Outlook

Fact IBM Lotus Notes

Symptom Error: "Unable to write or update application data."

Symptom Issues and errors

Cause
This error may be caused by one of the following:

Not enough storage space on the handheld.
Invalid characters in name or address fields.
No information entered in the contact
Handheld database is corrupted.

Fix
There are four possible causes of this error message.

Cause 1: Not enough storage space on the handheld

Create more space on the handheld by reducing the range of days with Intellisync. If additional storage space is required, remove applications from the handheld with Application Loader.

Reducing the range of days with Intellisync: Reducing the range of days restricts the number of appointments or events being transferred to the handheld. You can choose to transfer all items to your handheld, transfer only future items, or transfer items which fall between a range of days. Reducing the range of days will increase the amount of space on the handheld.

Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Select Intellisync.
Select Configure PIM.
Highlight Calendar.
Click the "Configure" drop-down and select Advanced Settings.
Select the Date Range tab.
Reduce the range of days and click OK.
Removing applications from the device:

Remove applications using Application Loader.

Cause 2: Invalid characters in name or address fields

There are invalid characters such as +, $ or % in the name or address fields of address book entries. The handheld is only able to read text. Any symbols appearing in the name or address fields are considered invalid characters and will cause the error.

Verify there are no invalid characters in the name or address fields of address book entries.

On the BlackBerry, scroll to and select the Address Book icon.
Select any entries with invalid characters.
Remove any symbols or invalid characters in the name or address fields.
Cause 3: There are Contacts in Outlook that do not contain information in the First Name, Last Name, or Company fields.

Verify that each Contact entry is assigned either a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Open Outlook and go to the Contacts page.
Sort the contacts by Category in order to easily identify entries without names or companies.
Add data to at least one of these fields. Alternatively, delete entries without a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Cause 4: Handheld database is corrupted

Clear the corrupted handheld database by connecting the handheld to your personal computer. Double click Backup and Restore > Advanced. Select the database for the application where the error occurred and click Clear.

Select Backup and Restore.
Select the database for the application for which the error occurred and click Clear.

Suggest a FixFor more information on this issue see RIM Technical Knowledge Center: KB-00729.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
rogerhutton

Model: 7130v

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycliffe
but it worked for me...

Fact Microsoft Outlook

Fact IBM Lotus Notes

Cause

Fix

Cause 1: Not enough storage space on the handheld

Create more space on the handheld by reducing the range of days with Intellisync. If additional storage space is required, remove applications from the handheld with Application Loader.

Reducing the range of days with Intellisync: Reducing the range of days restricts the number of appointments or events being transferred to the handheld. You can choose to transfer all items to your handheld, transfer only future items, or transfer items which fall between a range of days. Reducing the range of days will increase the amount of space on the handheld.

Select Intellisync.
Select Configure PIM.
Highlight Calendar.
Click the "Configure" drop-down and select Advanced Settings.
Select the Date Range tab.
Reduce the range of days and click OK.
Removing applications from the device:

Remove applications using Application Loader.

There are invalid characters such as +, $ or % in the name or address fields of address book entries. The handheld is only able to read text. Any symbols appearing in the name or address fields are considered invalid characters and will cause the error.

Verify there are no invalid characters in the name or address fields of address book entries.

On the BlackBerry, scroll to and select the Address Book icon.
Select any entries with invalid characters.
Remove any symbols or invalid characters in the name or address fields.
Cause 3: There are Contacts in Outlook that do not contain information in the First Name, Last Name, or Company fields.

Verify that each Contact entry is assigned either a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Open Outlook and go to the Contacts page.
Sort the contacts by Category in order to easily identify entries without names or companies.
Add data to at least one of these fields. Alternatively, delete entries without a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Cause 4: Handheld database is corrupted

Clear the corrupted handheld database by connecting the handheld to your personal computer. Double click Backup and Restore > Advanced. Select the database for the application where the error occurred and click Clear.

Select Backup and Restore.
Select the database for the application for which the error occurred and click Clear.

Suggest a FixFor more information on this issue see RIM Technical Knowledge Center: KB-00729.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #4
rogerhutton

Default Outlook Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambyy@hotmail.com
I have recently started using the BLB 7130E and sync to MS OUTLOOK 2003. The Desktop Manager handles the intellisync well , doing the tasks, calender, etc, untill contacts. After 1210 contacts it gives me a message" unable to write or update application data", and I don't think it is due to lack of memory, as I can still add new contacts into the handheld directly.
None of the contacts that are not syncing have any attachements (as far as I can tell, HOW would I know?)

Thanks in advance for any help
S. G
Old 09-21-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
rogerhutton

Default Outlook Issue

if it stops at same point each time it is probably a currupt file in outlook.

this worked for me:

If it fails
Run intellisync again
it will report how many records it has to add
do not select ‘accept’ but select ‘details’
this will show you the next record to add – this will be the record it failed on
click on this first record on the details screen
it will show you the details it is trying to add
note sufficient details to enable you to find it
go back into contacts use ‘find’ to bring that record onto screen
delete or retype the record
go back to step 2
if it stops again later in the file repeat steps from 2 again and find and correct offending record (it will always be the first one shown in the ‘details’ list)
Repeat until it goes right through

rogerh
Old 09-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
bambyy@hotmail.com

Model: 7130e
Default Got The Answer Thanx!! Here It Is>

It is probably stopping at the same point each time you try to sync.
This means for some reason that particular contact is, according to the blackberry, corrupt.

Solution:
Open desktop manager>
when device is connected, open intellisync> click on “Configure PIM” >
with Address Book highlighted, click on dropdown menu “Configure” and click “Advanced Settings”>
In “confirmation” tab put a check in both boxes >
NOW save settings and RUN SYNC.>
when it reached the point of adding new contacts it will ask for confirmation>
DON’T CONFIRM, rather click “DETAILS” and note which is the next contact it was going to add- THIS IS THE CORRUPTED CONTACT->
go to outlook and delete this contact.>

IT should now work, and later Add the contact back into outlook and sync again. You may have to go through the process a few times to get rid of all “corrupted” contacts.
HOPE THIS HELPS, It worked for ME!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
xjamest

Model: 8700g
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycliffe
but it worked for me...

Fact Microsoft Outlook

Fact IBM Lotus Notes

Cause

Fix

Thanks a lot, I had the same problem, but not anymore!!! this info was very helpfull for me (well, my ass, a stupid manager was over me, even when I told him that I was going to investigate, no!!!, next thing to do, call my boss to say "fix it or fix it"..... stupid is a requirement for most managers in here).....

Thanks again.....
Closed Thread