Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ok, I've had the 8700 for about a week now. I removed the battery cover to do a hard reboot and 2 of the little plastic clips on the battery cover broke off. Now the cover will not stay on the phone. I called T-Mo and sat on hold after 3 transfers for 45 min. Hung up and called back, this time speaking with a rep. I was told they would not send me a new battery cover because it was physical damage. After 20 min of trying to explain to the rep I asked for a supervisor and was transfered.

I got the same story from the supervisor as he kept going on about it was physical damage and not a defect because it was not damaged when I 1st took it out the box. He said they will not exchange the BB and will not send a new battery cover. He said I can return it under the 14 day return policy but I would get charged for the phone because of the damage! I tried and tried to explain to these idiots that the little clips broke off as I was removing the cover and that the phone was in mint condition. What a waste of time!

I have always been happy with T-Mo but this takes the cake! Sad, sad, sad!

Any ideas on where I can get a battery cover for the 8700G?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Yikes! I was taking the battery cover last night as well, to better pad the battery cover (thanks to the batterycover not fitting well in the 1st place) and I broke off one tab. Lucky for me that it does not affect it at all, it was the upper middle tab. There was a thread here a while back about replacement batteries and parts, there is a place in the UK that sells the battery covers for the 8700g. Try a search under 'replacement battery'. Best of luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Your story doesn't surprise me at all. Until there are enough reported cases of clips breaking they will default back to customer abuse/damage. T-Mobile will probably keep this stance until someone determines that it is a design/manufacturing flaw.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Its still piss poor customer service since I have been with them for years, have 3 phone lines on my account, and have been paying over $200 a month for my bill!

They really want to upset a long time customer over a .20 cent cover? I guess they are getting big enough to not care. I have always been very happy with T-Mo but this really does take the cake!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Well, if that is a case then I am going to return my 8700g back to T-mo. I got this device about a week back and it is still not registered on their network. I can see that the battery cover is so cheap and every time I open it I pray that it will survive this possible last click.
Same of these people who went from sturdy hardcore bulit to last tough body style to a cheapo .. even a disposable camera or a disposable toy has better strength than this one.
Thats why I am still keeping 7290 around me.... in case........
Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree joginder. The quality of my 7290/7230 is so superior compared to the 8700, as much as I love my 8700 it feels plastic-like and kinda cheap. I also carry my 7230 in my bag just in case, mainly because my EDGE has been having problems around here.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
ChopSticks

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead

Ok, I've had the 8700 for about a week now. I removed the battery cover to do a hard reboot and 2 of the little plastic clips on the battery cover broke off. Now the cover will not stay on the phone. I called T-Mo and sat on hold after 3 transfers for 45 min. Hung up and called back, this time speaking with a rep. I was told they would not send me a new battery cover because it was physical damage. After 20 min of trying to explain to the rep I asked for a supervisor and was transfered.

I got the same story from the supervisor as he kept going on about it was physical damage and not a defect because it was not damaged when I 1st took it out the box. He said they will not exchange the BB and will not send a new battery cover. He said I can return it under the 14 day return policy but I would get charged for the phone because of the damage! I tried and tried to explain to these idiots that the little clips broke off as I was removing the cover and that the phone was in mint condition. What a waste of time!

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to hear that.. You might want to consider this auction from ebay. Its a dummy phone. You can use the back cover and all other parts from it for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIM-Blackberry-8...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
TmoTech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

the thing is T-Mo doesnt have a bin of back covers to send out, they are not even included when you do a warranty exchange, all they send you is the shell of the phone...fyi
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

How about getting the extended battery with the extended cover for around $50.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Since TMo doesn't do the hardware production work, they shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the actual party responsible for production, namely, RIM. The design of the battery door isn't exactly the greatest on earth to begin with (very imprecise method of removal which can cause breakage/very thin plastic which flexes too much under pressure leading to failure also). Until/Unless the Carriers hear from enough of us, they will not carry the argument to RIM on our behalf.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSticks
Sorry to hear that.. You might want to consider this auction from ebay. Its a dummy phone. You can use the back cover and all other parts from it for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIM-Blackberry-8...QQcmdZViewItem
You have to watch out when buying dummy phones. I had a 7100t that I scratched and then purchased a dummy phone to fix it. Everything worked perfectly. My friend tried the same thing with a 7105t and there were no workable parts to put the guts of his phone into. Even the battery door popped on with posts instead of slide on with latches. Sometimes even when you ask the ebay seller, they'll say you can use the dummy phone for parts when it clearly can't be.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I bought at Siemens CF62 from T-Mo a couple of years back and it was the biggest piece of crap ever, took it back the same afternoon. Parts were not fitting right, sharp edges on the clam, and a loose/flimsy batt. cover a la 8700. If the T-Mo execs decided to sell the CF62's then it does not surprise me that they let the 8700 come to T-Mo with some design flaws. RIM needs to work better on their quality control.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
djseto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I think TMobile is right here, this isnt their fault, it's yours. They didnt break the clips you did, so I think its a stretch for them to replace it for you. This shouldnt affect their customer service because its not their place to fix what you broke. I would be pissed too, dont get me wrong, but I dont think you can blame them for having bad customer service. When they screw up on your bill and don't fix it, thats bad customer service.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Let me talk a little bit s l o w e r for you! I did not break the BB! I have had several BB's and know how to remove the cover. The BB battery cover is faulty and broke on it own during normal and very limited use. I only removed the cover twice before it broke all on its own.

Did I say that I did not break it s l o w enough for you this time?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #15
Kripto

Since the phone is a week old, take it back to the store and complain about the service and tell them you want to return the phone. They give you 2 weeks from date of purchase.

I did the same thing to my phone, took it back complaining of a keyboard problem. (ok, I lied.. but it worked. ;) )

Just bring your box and receipt.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
ebgreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

While I understand your frustration, I would point out that we have several hundred 8700s all of which are in use by BB users some of which are I'm sure less adept than you. None of them have had any issues with their battery cover at all. So far I think one person who has seen this thread has stated that they had a broken clip. So I would say that so far the evidence is that with prudent use, the battery cover is adequate as designed. Now if you happen to know of some data showing systemic failure of the cover, that is a different issue altogether. Do you have such data?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #17
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Did you buy the phone at the store or order online from customer care?
If it was me and I bought it from the store and paid cash or with my credit card i would just take it back (since it's within the 14 day period) and return it. Get a refund then go buy it somewhere else. Really, maybe they won't notice the battery cover problem. Is it obvious? if someone is not familiar with the device they"ll probably not notice.

If that doesn't work if you used your credit card they usually offer some kind of buyer protection. Talk to them maybe they can work something out for you.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:

Let me talk a little bit s l o w e r for you! I did not break the BB! I have had several BB's and know how to remove the cover. The BB battery cover is faulty and broke on it own during normal and very limited use. I only removed the cover twice before it broke all on its own.

Did I say that I did not break it s l o w enough for you this time?
Spontaneous fracture? Were you looking at it cross-eyed at the time?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I bought the 8700 online from T-Mo. Its not really about the .20 cent cover, it is just sad that the kept telling me it was physical abuse.

I will just glue or velcro it back on.

When contract is up, bye, bye T-Mo!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgreen
While I understand your frustration, I would point out that we have several hundred 8700s all of which are in use by BB users some of which are I'm sure less adept than you. None of them have had any issues with their battery cover at all. So far I think one person who has seen this thread has stated that they had a broken clip. So I would say that so far the evidence is that with prudent use, the battery cover is adequate as designed. Now if you happen to know of some data showing systemic failure of the cover, that is a different issue altogether. Do you have such data?
Ok I was really riding on my moped and when I went over a speed bump the BB fell out of the basket and amazingly the only thing that broke was the little battery clip! :rolleyes: (sarcasm intended)

Last edited by LunkHead; 04-27-2006 at 03:50 PM..
Closed Thread