Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
What? You don't like the childlike Pattern Lock?
HAHAHA!!! I love it...

I'm just glad that this handset's screen doesn't really smudge at all, otherwise I'd be screwed when someone could guess my pattern by the smudges.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah 2.2's security with PIN and password lock is a nice addition. Also, I am really liking the Chrome to Phone app. I don't use Chrome, but the Fox to Phone works just as well.

Gingerbread should be out before long, and I have heard that they're already working on Honeycomb. It was on a developer's Nexus One but he went back to Gingerbread because it wasn't ready yet.

Good things seem to be coming pretty quickly for the Android OS.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Can I run 6.0 under Gingerbread?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Yeah 2.2's security with PIN and password lock is a nice addition. Also, I am really liking the Chrome to Phone app. I don't use Chrome, but the Fox to Phone works just as well.

Gingerbread should be out before long, and I have heard that they're already working on Honeycomb. It was on a developer's Nexus One but he went back to Gingerbread because it wasn't ready yet.

Good things seem to be coming pretty quickly for the Android OS.
PIN lock will be awesome...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Back to WM7, saw the live event today. It looks pretty slick and has a wide range of hardware and carrier support. If developers come on board, Apple and RIM look to be on notice with this one.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I am going to their customer NDA launch this afternoon in NYC.
WM7 has enough difficiencies before it gets started. Going to be a tough sell. No Flash, no multi tasking. No OCS client (WHAT?).

I don't know... But it will get a far shot. On the one hand they are touting the Xbox 360 Live integration, and on the other they tout the phenomenal SharePoint 2010 integration. So, what's it going to be?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #27
3 Mobile

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three
Default Not impressed

HeHe

Good article

New Windows 7 Phones | Press Release
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

so for wm7 did they finally put an external reset button on the front of the phone easy to get too?

or do you program your bedtime into the phone so it does it daily reboots while you are sleep.

Last edited by wabbit; 10-13-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

It's starting. In these cost cutting times, BB's strongest selling point, BES, may be it's undoing.

Dell ditches BlackBerry in favor of Windows Phone 7 | BGR
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #30
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
It's starting. In these cost cutting times, BB's strongest selling point, BES, may be it's undoing.

Dell ditches BlackBerry in favor of Windows Phone 7 | BGR
I think you're reading too much into the article. Yes, it does mention that Dell will save money by eliminating BlackBerry devices. However, it is not the reason that they're moving away from BlackBerry. They're now in the smartphone market and they don't want their employees using a competitor's device.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #31
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I think you're reading too much into the article. Yes, it does mention that Dell will save money by eliminating BlackBerry devices. However, it is not the reason that they're moving away from BlackBerry. They're now in the smartphone market and they don't want their employees using a competitor's device.
Yeah, I figured that, but with a 25% savings, how many other companies may also go that route. Not to mention MS will probably be giving these things away to get back in the game.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #32
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Dell sees a natural savings as they sell the replacement. Dell has been a trying to figure out a mobile strategy - badly - for several years now. I guess someone throught a 5" Android based micro tablet was a good idea. We'll see how this holds up for Dell.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #33
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

dell has failed at ever phone they have tried. only company was lenova with the o phone in china? and that ran android i think.

dell will be back to blackberry when the board members issues a win7 phone cant be reached due to the need to reset the bsod phone.

i have no high hopes for windows on a phone the os is just sloppy, bloated and slow.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #34
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Will Windows Phone 7 end BlackBerry's enterprise dominance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Yeah, I figured that, but with a 25% savings, how many other companies may also go that route. Not to mention MS will probably be giving these things away to get back in the game.
Really, 25% savings off the data and voice bill? Because that is the biggest cost to us, the cost of the phone is nothing in comparison. If windows phone does not offer that then I don't even know why I am bothering to respond here.

I think Win7Phone is a non starter - it's lost it's cool to apple, and it's credibility to the enterprise to BB. Android has potential, but neither of those advantages just yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #35
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810

I am not up for contract and had to pay quite a bit for the LG Quantum - I picked the Quantum for the keyboard and the screen (I want a smartphone I can see in full sun. The BB does well in full sun - sometimes AMOLED isn't' "all that.") I love it but may not keep it. It doesn't sync Outlook. I'll just let that sink in...

You passed out didn't you. What a shocker! Image how I felt who paid as much as I did. I didn't even think I would need to check on something like that. I have 30 days to return it. I have spent all night trying to figure out how to get around this problem... I have no "workable" solution just yet.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #36
The Sand

My thoughts after using WP7xxx8230; They are trying to compete with iPhone xxx8211; this is no threat to the BB. You can sync Outlook with exchange only xxx8211; otherwise you have to set up an account through Zune so you can sync your media files. Similar to iTunes for iPhone. Itxxx8217;s pushing you to use Windows Live xxx8211; it will sync contacts and calendar if you use Windows Live. And you can get the Outlook Connector to sync your Outlook to Windows Live and then onto the phone. But I donxxx8217;t want toxxx8230; so for me no Outlook is a deal breaker. I believe they will change this as there is already negative feedback over xxx8220;no Outlook.xxx8221;

There is a lot you canxxx8217;t customize like you can with the BB. Which is similar to iPhone xxx8211; you get what you get. A lot of people who own BBxxx8217;s for work are over 40. I handed the LG Quantum to my mother to see if she could read the email/SMS (she is a HUGE BB fan) she was struggling. You canxxx8217;t read it as mass storage.. I like to set up a sync program and sync things to and from the device xxx8211; which is what I do with my BB xxx8211; you have to go through Zune to do that nowxxx8230;

I really like the OS and think it has great potential, but itxxx8217;s not going to replace the BB. The only thing BB has to worry about is their BES. Coming (real soon) for WP7, Droid (and right now) for Symbian is Emoze, SEVEN, Profimail, Nokia Messaging all who offer push email with SSL in addition to AES encryption to and from the server. Some donxxx8217;t even xxx8220;storexxx8221; the password xxx8211; they only push when the device is ready. And SEVEN will offer a remote wipe. All of this competes with BBxxx8217;s BES which is a 9.95 monthly charge. The above companies are either free or a one time fee. If you can get your email secured and save 9.95 monthly then you might consider switching. But as of nowxxx8230; even with these companies offering this xxx8211; I see no phone operating system as good as the BB that would make me switch..

p.s. one really cool thing about GSM carriers is I can light up whatever device I want for the day - no activation needed. So I can roll WP7 or the BB for the day depending on my mood.

Last edited by The Sand; 11-13-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #37
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFanboy View Post
Really, 25% savings off the data and voice bill? Because that is the biggest cost to us, the cost of the phone is nothing in comparison. If windows phone does not offer that then I don't even know why I am bothering to respond here.

I think Win7Phone is a non starter - it's lost it's cool to apple, and it's credibility to the enterprise to BB. Android has potential, but neither of those advantages just yet.
I think they were referring to the cost of BES, not the price of the device.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #38
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
My thoughts after using WP7… They are trying to compete with iPhone – this is no threat to the BB. You can sync Outlook with exchange only – otherwise you have to set up an account through Zune so you can sync your media files. Similar to iTunes for iPhone. It’s pushing you to use Windows Live – it will sync contacts and calendar if you use Windows Live. And you can get the Outlook Connector to sync your Outlook to Windows Live and then onto the phone. But I don’t want to… so for me no Outlook is a deal breaker. I believe they will change this as there is already negative feedback over “no Outlook.”
It's all about the cloud, perhaps you've heard of it. I don't know too many people that use Outlook without Exchange anymore. Most don't want their contacts, mail and calendar locked up on one computer with Outlook. And you don't have to use Windows Live, the activsync in WP7 will work with gmail and google calendar as well.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #39
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It's all about the Cloud, except you need an app for that. A cloud based app because it's all in the cloud.

Until a few weeks ago, it was called the Internet, now it's The Cloud

All Marketing hype...

No Outlook is a deal breaker for many businesses....
Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #40
The Sand

I should have mentioned Google - but this wasn't really a comprehensive review - just my first thoughts.

I store my contacts/calendar info in Outlook and sync to my devices. If I change that it will be because I own the server (not Google/yahoo/Hotmail.) I don't see the need to do that at this time. And I really don't see the need to run exchnage right now so I can add money to my monthly fee. It's about "preference"... one is not better than the other - but the smartphone that wins gives you the choice.

It's a fun OS - I will keep it. But to do so I will have to manually enter in the contacts/calendar and continue to update manually. Until there is a comprehensive backup I am not going to enter in much as last night I had to wipe the device to get around an email setup issue. I had to redo all the sync info from Zune. This phone will be "play time"... and it's fun. The BB will still carry the heavy lifting.

But to each his own here... the more choice the better for us the "users."

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 11-14-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Closed Thread