Old 11-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Motorola Droid vs Any Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

The Droid is out, and it's touted as the iPhone beater. Does anyone here have a Droid to compare to any Blackberry device? If so, what's your feelings of the Droid?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

I can't activate a droid on BES... therefore it's useless, IMO.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Does anyone here have a Droid to compare to any Blackberry device? If so, what's your feelings of the Droid?
Huh... I can only assume you can't be bothered with searching as it wasn't terribly difficult for me to find these two threads:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/hand...ola-droid.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...storm-2-a.html

I shouldn't be so harsh though... maybe you were distracted because you were picking up chicks with an iPhone?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 11-21-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

No sync with Outlook either.

Go to the thread mentioned above. It offers a pretty good review from a long time BB user.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 11-21-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
SmoothOperator

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I shouldn't be so harsh though... maybe you were distracted because you were picking up chicks with an iPhone?
Yep, and still getting laid, too.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
bimmerny

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I dont know what it is but the droid is really starting to grow on me but i don't know about switching to verizon...
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

At the other forum I visit the Droid is getting very good reviews from former BB users. What they seem to like are the browser, first and formost. They say it kills the Storm. Next is the app selection available. Next is the screen resolution, but some are more in love with that than others. The biggest gripe is the email. Seems if you use Gmail you're fine, but with Yahoo you've got a problem, and with POP3 it's OK but not as good as a BB. Most don't really use the physical keyboard but they put up with it. Form factor-wise the phone's kind of a brick but not many really complain about that a lot. Battery usually lasts at least a full day. Sounds like a player in the smartphone market. I tried one several times at my local store and it seems OK, nice big screen. I'm sure I could live with it. Verizon kicks butt where I live, way better than ATT. IMO ATT is the Achilles heel of the iPhone.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
At the other forum I visit the Droid is getting very good reviews from former BB users. What they seem to like are the browser, first and formost. They say it kills the Storm.
Biggest weakness of the BB IMHO. RIM needs to fix this yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Verizon kicks butt where I live, way better than ATT. IMO ATT is the Achilles heel of the iPhone.
It should be interesting to see how well "The Network" holds up to the increased data traffic once the Droid users take hold. I have a feeling it won't fair much better then AT&T.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
jnyost

Model: 9550

I don't own a droid, but my wife does. I've been playing with hers for the last 3 days and comparing it to my brand new 8530. I can say that my 8530 will probably get returned in favor for an Android phone. I think I like the Eris better than the Droid but we'll see.

The amount of free usable apps is just crazy. The maps program is awesome as is just about everything else. Google rocks and it's nice to see that they are behind this product. I think we'll be seeing them taking a large share of the market.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

I can only compare it to the 8330 and 8130, but the Droid is an absolute winner in my book. The screen, the browser, the media player, the email (Gmail and Google Apps Premier) the calendar, Google Navigation, Google Sky Map and on and on and on.

I really like the on screen keyboard of the Droid and my iPod Touch so I haven't messed with the physical keyboard much. It works for me too, but the on screen s the way that I go usually.

I know that people like to call the Droid an "iPhone killer", but IMNSHO WinMo and BB will lose more users to Android than iPhone will. My 8330 using son and daughter and 8130 using wife are counting down the days until they can go Android, so there goes 3 more BB users.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
jnyost

Just returned my curve today and bought the Eris Droid.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

It's a tough call. I exchanged my Storm2 for a Droid, and the jury's still out. Eventually, the Droid will be a better phone (or Eris, for that matter), but it takes a bit more work to make it as usable as the 9550 is out of the box. I liked the Storm2 quite a bit, and email sync is so much easier on a Blackberry than on an Android. I did get my Yahoo mail synced, but it took some research and trial/error to make it happen.
I'm not a Moto fan by any means, the reason I went with the Droid was because it had the most promise due to it running 2.0 and having slightly better hardware than the Eris. The build quality is a little bit less than the 9550, which makes me nervous.
The browser is better, but not miles ahead of BB. What I don't understand is (and maybe I haven't figured out alternate ways of copy/paste) why I can copy/paste some text online and not others. So far the browser on the BB is still more practical, just not as flashy.
The one thing that I really like is the maps feature; the ease of use is amazing. I can press and hold on a map to get the address and move to the navigation mode with no trouble at all. The one caveat with it is that it's much easier to store locations on BB Maps.

Anyways. Yeah. I think that the phone will be much better as the months go by, but right now it's not a slam dunk over the BBs. I will say that if I have to go back to my Pearl for whatever reason, I'm not going to be too happy.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
b52junebug

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerny View Post
I dont know what it is but the droid is really starting to grow on me but i don't know about switching to verizon...
You dont need to switch.. T-Mobile had the android OS long before Verizon even thought about it.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
DeuceDaProDeuca

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon
Default droid vs blackberry

I have the Storm 9530 and Motorola Droid. I love them both. I will give my unbias opinion on both phones, the good, the bad, & the ugly.

I reviewed the Droid for a month before UPGRADING. One of the bads reported was email on Blackberry was better. I found this to be totally false. The email on the Droid took some getting used to, but Gmail is VASTLY superior to the vzw blackberry email. For example, on the Storm, I could send and receive, but COULDN'T open and play large files such as music and videos. And even sending/receiving without opening was tedious. I could only do one at a time. With the Droid, I could not only open large files and play them, I could send/receive multiple large data intensive files AT THE SAME TIME!
The slide out keyboard took a LOT of getting used to, but now I use it flawlessly with my large thumbs. I did like the surepress better. I don't like touchscreens sensitivity that keeps selecting items accidentally. Maybe I can adjust the sensitivity, but I just haven't tried. The camera and video in low light is VASTLY superior on the 9530, but the opposite in lighted situations. The flash doesn't seem to work for the video on the Droid, but THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT! There's a free torch in the marketplace to turn on led, strobe, and send any morse code message.
My Droid never crashes, always loads pages fast, no scroll lag, very solid, despite a review showing the upper half being loose, and moved with 2 fingers on one hand, mine is rock solid. His must have been dropped in shipping.
THE DROID PAYS FOR ITSELF IF YOU WERE PAYING FOR VZNAVIGATOR! Not only is the nav superior on the Droid, ITS FREE and everything is voice activated, and the nav has layers. There's no comparison. The apps available are superior to that of the Storm. A fun one is google sky! Also, on the Storm, you run out of storage space FAST WITH JUST A FEW APPS. I've loaded 5 times as many apps on the Droid, and haven't even come close to reaching storage capacity. Also, the Droid comes with a 16mb card, as opposed to the Storms 8. There is no sim card capability for the Droid, but the media is superior to the Storm, and rivals that of the iPhone, just not as pretty.
In comparison to the iPhone, the only thing superior on the iPhone is the # of apps, but not the average price, and the way the media is displayed. Everything else is superior on the Droid. A Storm/iPhone comparison is a better match. I have an iPhone too!
You can open MULTIPLE WEB PAGES on the Droid. The Facebook and Übertwitter apps are superior and more comprehensible on the Storm.

In short, the only things better on the Storm 9530 and 9550 are the FB and Twitter apps, low light camera/video and the flash is 100 times brighter. It can activate my solar powered scale, and the surepress is subject to individual preference. On a points grade system, I give the Storm 9530 a 90%, the 9550 a 93%, and the Motorola Droid a 100%, with an extra 50% extra credit, bringing it to a 150%!

Last edited by DeuceDaProDeuca; 01-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: massive misidentification error. droid/storm mix-up
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
DeuceDaProDeuca

Smile guess what i just loaded from the market for Droid!

Dolphin browser and Pic Say Pro. Guess what! Now my Droid has pinch to zoom on web and photos. Pic Say pro is amazing. Excellent photo editor. Imma be up all night spicing up my pics.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Good point! Why on earth would I use my multi-core Mac Pro with Photoshop when I could use my tiny screened phone to edit my photos? Man, that must be one powerful editor!

Yeah, right. Enjoy "editing" on your phone.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
DeuceDaProDeuca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Good point! Why on earth would I use my multi-core Mac Pro with Photoshop when I could use my tiny screened phone to edit my photos? Man, that must be one powerful editor!

Yeah, right. Enjoy "editing" on your phone.
That's like saying, "Why should I play Need For Speed when I have a 554 hp 2005 GTO in the garage that does a 12.2 quarter mile?"
Its just for fun. Its an entertaining phone app for when you're out and about and nothing else to do. Or better yet, why have a SMART PHONE when you have a computer? Portability? Why play games when there's reality? Why have the google sky app when I can wait until it gets dark and I can just look outside?
You get the point.

Last edited by DeuceDaProDeuca; 01-10-2010 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
DeuceDaProDeuca

[url=ht

Last edited by DeuceDaProDeuca; 01-10-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
jnyost

Yeah.... That doesn't look like spam or anything. First post on a BB site touting the Droid.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #20
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

The phone depends on the user... the Droid and Blackberry have a little bit different target market. The Droid is much more media friendly and feels and acts completely different than blackberrys. Questions you should be asking yourself:

How often do i use push email/how badly do i need it?
How often do i use media?
What kind of camera quality do i want?
Which keyboard to i prefer?

If i were in your position i would try to get ahold of some friends that have those phones or go to some stores to test them out.