BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I have two yahoo accounts on my iPhone and I use push with them (for free.) I know this well because I probably receive 100 emails a day.

Just saying.

Also, I think you can also get gmail push on the iPhone now.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #22
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Some of the features outlined in my article that was written awhile back, was resolved in the latest OS upgrade for the iPhone. But it just shows that what we have as a standard feature, the iPhone had to acquire at a later iteration.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirulz29 View Post
For what improvements RIM can make: How bout customer service, not just from RIM but carriers too. Its such a hassle to call RIM or you carrier about a problem with the blackberry. But with the iphone, its simple: go to the apple store and they will either fix it or give you a new one. For example, my cousin had a problem with the iphone, went to the apple store, even after 30 days of purchasing it, they gave her a brand new iphone because they were unable to fix it. Now that is customer service. Now lets say you call RIM, they'll ask you to send it in or w/e, wait two weeks, then they will send it back without doing a thing telling you that we were unable to fix it. Then you have to call them again, tell them that and then they say they will send a replacement. Then after like another 2 weeks, your replacement comes.
I took my broken Storm to VZW last week and was out with a new one in less then 15 minutes.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A

Remember, guys, let's compare today's Blackberry devices against today's iPhones, and by that I mean the new 3GS series with the latest firmware. The copy and paste issue and MMS arguments are no longer valid. Because I own a 3GS, I would have to say that it's a great device.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #25
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Some of the features outlined in my article that was written awhile back, was resolved in the latest OS upgrade for the iPhone. But it just shows that what we have as a standard feature, the iPhone had to acquire at a later iteration.
All devices evolve over time. For years BBs had no camera, other devices did. BB still has a crap browser, other devices have moved beyond this and have excellent ones. There are no "standard features". Each device/platform is different.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #26
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

hey, another thread on the bb and iPhone.

i'll repeat this again: it depends on the user and their preferences. if you want a funky 'leisure' phone with tons and tons of apps, go for the iPhone. if you want push email, more 'corporate' phone, then blackberry. SIMPLE. each platform is different, each phone is different, and each person has a different requirement in a phone.

-.-
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
SmoothOperator

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
hey, another thread on the bb and iPhone.

i'll repeat this again: it depends on the user and their preferences. if you want a funky 'leisure' phone with tons and tons of apps, go for the iPhone. if you want push email, more 'corporate' phone, then blackberry. SIMPLE. each platform is different, each phone is different, and each person has a different requirement in a phone.
Why isn't there a phone that does both, or yet better, have the best of all the qualities?

I want: a Blackberry with the Safari Browser and the iPod touch screen, the physical keypad and new trackpad, along with the Nokia 95 speakers and the N82's xenon flash and video camera. I want it all!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Why isn't there a phone that does both, or yet better, have the best of all the qualities?

I want: a Blackberry with the Safari Browser and the iPod touch screen, the physical keypad and new trackpad, along with the Nokia 95 speakers and the N82's xenon flash and video camera. I want it all!
I think such a device is available, in fantasy land

If you listen to Steve Ballmer, Windows Phone 7 will probably do all that and clean your house all at the same time.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #29
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post

Now if that were possible.. life would be sweet.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #30
fuzzynumpkin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Berizon

i cant be the first to mention this: modem tethering. Simple flawless without some kinda hacky 3 party sketchy app, modem tethering. On vzw my tour works as a modem everywhere (for the most part).
With that said, I wish BBerry would adopt the T-mobile wi-fi voip so my berry would work at my "in the woods" no service home. Maybe I'll just move
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #31
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

With iPhone or iPod Touch using GMail, all you need is OS 3.1 and an app called GPush which is $.99 off the App Store. Yes, it will push and give you a home screen notify, plus some blinking audible sound.

Boxcar, which is another paid but cheap app, you can add push notifications on Twitter and Facebook. Add .99 cents for every email account. So if you have five email accounts, you're paying five dollars for a one time fee.

There are other push apps in the app store, such as Notification.

I don't have an iPhone but I got an iPod Touch. When in range of Wifi, I can often hear the device go blink blink with every new email, Twitter or Facebook update, as well as various breaking news updates.

On the iPhone and iPod Touch, other apps have their own system of notifications.

Yahoo Messenger
AIM
CNN Mobile News app
MSNBC mobile news app

If there is breaking news for example, the app displays a message on the screen with some blink blink audible notification.

What the iPhone OS lacks is a unified message box. The push notifications disappear from the screen when other app sends the next notification. As a result there is no activity log of incoming notifications to review. The home screen only displays the most recent notification.

All these notifications do not need some Exchange sync.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #32
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

a lot of the issues are also cured if you jailbreak your iphone... tons of additional apps to use at the same time it opens an ungodly amount of functionality...

i know what a lot of people will say about jailbreaking the iphone but, how is it any different than putting a different carrier's version of the bb os on their berries?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
a lot of the issues are also cured if you jailbreak your iphone... tons of additional apps to use at the same time it opens an ungodly amount of functionality...

i know what a lot of people will say about jailbreaking the iphone but, how is it any different than putting a different carrier's version of the bb os on their berries?
jaibreaking is injecting code, into the boot process of the phone that allows system access.

loading a different carrier os onto a blackberry does not inject code into the boot process to gain such access.

see the difference?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #34
Jeevo

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Like people have said it doesn't matter too greatly what one phone has over another as long as you've got the right phone for you. Then again you have both

I suppose a lot of it will depend on whether you prefer keys and buttons over a touchscreen. I tried typing something on my brothers iPod Touch and it didn't feel right for me. Buttons are like a security blanket.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #35
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Yeah, and that's the problem - Apple keeps making significant advances in their software platform while RIM's OS languishes as they focus on making hardware for every form factor under the sun. I'd much prefer they take the funds they're planning to spend on their next gee-whiz device and build a decent browser that every Blackberry user would benefit from, for example.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
OmegaWolf747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: A COLADA
Carrier: Boost Mobile CDMA

How about something very basic, the ability to cut/copy/paste between different apps. The BlackBerry is the only phone I've ever had that supports this! If I'm web surfing and find some text I like, I can copy it and paste it into BBNotepad to save. Even other smartphones like Windows Mobile can't do this.

Aren't they cute?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

The iPhone 3GS can do cut/copy/paste..... not sure about previous models/OS versions.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #38
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx

Yea that was a OS upgrade that allowed the cut/copy/paste. The only part that I miss is OTA of Notes and Tasks. The 3 important ones are there for me as far as Mail/Contacts/Calender goes though so I'm happy with that as my notes and tasks are not really that important when I'm not at work.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #39
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Here's one thing the iPhone has that BlackBerry doesn't, a vulnerability that allowed it to be hacked.

Pwn2Own 2010: iPhone hacked, SMS database hijacked | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

Quote:
VANCOUVER, BC xxx8212; A pair of European researchers used the spotlight of the CanSecWest Pwn2Own hacking contest here to break into a fully patched iPhone and hijack the entire SMS database, including text messages that had already been deleted.

Using an exploit against a previously unknown vulnerability, the duo xxx8212; Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann xxx8212; lured the target iPhone to a rigged Web site and exfiltrated the SMS database in about 20 seconds.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #40
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Nice! I know with the original iPhone and OS there was a way to still access some information on the phone while locked.

Guess iPhone is still having issues in this case.
blue.
Closed Thread