MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Bold Vs. Nokia N97

Please Login to Remove!

Well I have a Bold.
I love the qwerty keyboard, I love getting email.
I don't like the extra price for BB email, I don't like the trackbal all that much.
I'm also conscious that I have to constantly use my holster with the Bold for fear of scratching the screen and getting lint under the trackball.

Before the BB I had a N95, which was great, cept I wanted a full keyboard.

I've almost fallen in love with the N97, though havent tried it out at my local t-mobile UK store yet.
Im 10 months till upgrade date, so purchasing one is going to be my only option, if I really can't wait.

The N97 qwerty physical keyboard AND the touch screen makes it not a like for like comparison with any BB out there.
I feel it perhaps has all the benefits of the Bold, (qwerty keyboard) with added bonuses and cheaper running. I think also I wont be so worried about putting it in my pocket.

Has anyone any experience with the N97 and the Bold or any qwerty BB?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I've had a Bold since it was available on AT&T. I was super excited when the N97 was finally available.

(You've almost fallen in love with the N97 but haven't tried it?)

At any rate I bought one and field tested it for about 3 weeks. If you're coming from a Bold, or any RIM device for that matter, you're not going to be happy with the N97. It just isn't as intuitive as the BlackBerry. Example, you can't hold down a letter and have it become a capital. The keyboard just isn't conducive to easy and accurate typing. Symbian's OS is super dated. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, the N97 is a sexy little device, but it's just not ready for "prime-time". I can't tell you how badly I wanted the N97 to replace my Bold. The N97 is great for its bells and whistles, but it doesn't do the basics well. On the other hand the Bold (RIM) have a reliable OS that does all of the basics very well, but there just aren't any real bells and whistles.

Let me know if you want more info. I just wanted to post this quickly.

BTW, I still have my N97 as a back up phone. I make sure to update it every time there's an update from Nokia, just hoping that they will address some of its deficiencies.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

hmm, I see what your saying.
I never use the hold down a button to captalise, as im used to holding the caps key to do it.

would you say in terms of build quality, or perhaps just piece of mind that you can carry around the N97 without worrying about it compared to the bold?
Its almost annoying that I have to take it out of a holster to look at it, but i dont want to just put it in my bag incase it gets scratched or the trackball stops working cause it found some dust.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Like I said, I really wanted to the N97 to replace my Bold. I went 5 days straight with ONLY the N97, and at the end of the week, I reverted back to the Bold. And this was giving it a true objective field test, not just because it's a new device that I'm "uncomfortable" with. I forced myself to be able to do all of my daily tasks and applications with the N97, and like I said it just doesn't do it all yet. And keep in mind I'm staying objective, and not even comparing the N97 directly to the Bold, I'm just saying that the Bold does the things that I need on the daily and the N97 doesn't. I even tried testing it again after the first N97 software update, reverted back to the Bold after a couple of days.

Now what I will directly compare is the keyboard of the two, and the Bold just kills the N97. Pretty much any device will kill the N97's keyboard. The fact that you have to hit an extra button for the comma, and period if I'm not mistaken.

The build quality of the N97 is fine. I personally don't "worry" about any device and scuffing it up, if that's what you mean. The N97 isn't any more delicate than the Bold if that's what you're asking. If I were to throw either of them in a bag, they would be in a holster as well.

Hold down the letter you want as a capital and save yourself a step. ;)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Ok.
Can I ask what kind of daily tasks you do?
As I think my BB must be the must underused of anyone here.
I have 3 friends who I text occasionally, hardly ever use it for calls, and like getting email and FB when Im away from the PC, which is at the moment with no job, hardly ever.

I think Im gonna have to wait to upgrade if I do decided which is next year, June.
By which point there could be a trackpad BB on the UK market and more hopefully t-mobile, and the N97 may have improved software.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Ok.
Can I ask what kind of daily tasks you do?
As I think my BB must be the must underused of anyone here.
I have 3 friends who I text occasionally, hardly ever use it for calls, and like getting email and FB when Im away from the PC, which is at the moment with no job, hardly ever.

I think Im gonna have to wait to upgrade if I do decided which is next year, June.
By which point there could be a trackpad BB on the UK market and more hopefully t-mobile, and the N97 may have improved software.

Thanks for the help!
If that's all you do then the N97 should suffice for now with you.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
TG7

Model: Bold
Carrier: 02

It seems they have alot of problems. Some stores aren't even stocking them here.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class

Before using the Bold as my regular device, I used the N95. It was and still is a fascinating device, and the speakers are the loudest by far. However, the much-anticipated N97 floppped. Upon release, they were being sold on eBay for $777. I think you can get them today for $500, and that is still overpriced.

Here is a CNET review of the device.

Nokia N97 - silver (unlocked) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

They make very valid points, and Nokia will need to develop a much better device or the company will be in peril.

I still love the N95, and I also own the N82. For imaging and video, nothing beats the N82. Best pictures I've ever taken on a cell phone--how many smartphones have a xenon flash? Sucks that I'm limited to EDGE, though, but when I go traveling to Europe the phone kicks ass.

I would also assume that the N97 would be excellent for daytime pictures and video, though a xenon flash (like the N82) would make the device more appealing. Yes, the keyboard sucks so don't use this for emails.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
qeaou

Carrier: Vodafone
Smile Honest feedback...

Hi guys,
It's been interesting reading all the comments.
naturally since I visit the forum, i do care about the phone, the performance of my phone and other options available in the market...
Over the past 15 years I have transitioned a lot from phones to gsm phones, to 1800 dual band, to quad band, to 3g, and then from just the phones, to camera phones, to Bluetooth phones, to wifi phones, etc, etc...
I have tried NOKIA, Motorola, Iphone, Verizon, and of course Blackberry, you name it...
in Europe, Asia, US and Australia.
So the bottom line is (to repeat the previous threads) - it depends what you're top priority really is..
Blackberry - Great for connectivity, a real business machine, 10000 contacts no problem, complex in settings, but doesn't break down.
IPhone - pretty, pretty, 3G sucked, 3GS kicks ass, but still it is all about the MAC visual UI and experience (my wife has one).
NOKIA - other phone were good/bad/good - there is no firm commitment to either business phones, media, or personal, however N97 is a FLOP!!! (disaster)

I have used (over the past 5 years BB 7100, pearl, the 8800, bold, etc, also, i have used RAZR by motorola and other products)
Blackberry is by far the best product for business! No one comes close.
Iphone is trying to, but N97 is far behind,
it crashes, hangs up calls, cannot handle multitasking, is slow and cannot handle more contact than 1000 properly, it also does not work well with either outlook or exchange server.
That's what I think, honestly,
I switched from my Bold to N97 when my contract expired, and I was able to convince Vodafone to switch back to Blackberry.
I feel BAD for N97 users... honestly.
Closed Thread