BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

That's a pretty fair assessment... the iPhone does things well, but not what I need done well. So, for me, I have the iPod Touch for music and games (it does these very, very well), and the BlackBerry Bold for everything else.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #42
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
I'm going to upgrade to the onyx or magnum if that's coming within the next 3 months. I also use msn messenger and aim (sometimes) and a lot of my contacts use bb messenger. I don't understand why the iphone only has a beta version of aim and no msn. i don't usually like going the 3rd party app route either and why can't the iphone run apps in the background. The iphone does a lot of things better than the bb, just not the things that are important to me.
maybe you should look into a Pre....it can run multiple apps in the background, blackberrys can too, i'm in the dark as to why the iphone can't do this. i'm also in the dark as to why the iphone doesn't have themes or allow a background image.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #43
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
That's a pretty fair assessment... the iPhone does things well, but not what I need done well. So, for me, I have the iPod Touch for music and games (it does these very, very well), and the BlackBerry Bold for everything else.
i agree. however i gave up on the ipod touch a while ago because i found it to be buggy. as a matter of fact, ironically, apple frequently makes jabs at microsoft's user experience problems, but apple has more severe programming mishaps about as often, given it's scaled down user-base. from what i've seen, holes in safari extend to the mobile versions in addition to the desktop versions.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #44
clumpymold
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Some really good stuff here. I've just been told (repeatedly) that one should get the iPhone if they want "entertainment" features. If they want something more geared towards "email", get a Blackberry.

I've never had an iPhone and I JUST got a Blackberry (about a week ago) so, relatively speaking, either one of these is a HUGE step UP from my previous phone (Sony Ericsson K550i). :P
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #45
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i agree. however i gave up on the ipod touch a while ago because i found it to be buggy.
Strange you would say this... I just upgraded to OS 3, and I am experiencing new problems. The sound seems to be more quiet when I plug in headphones, and I am experiencing WiFi connectivity issues.

You're right about the iPod Touch having its share of problems. There are two memorized volume levels, one for the universal dock and one for headphones. The iPod Touch should stay on the headphone volume until you plug it into the dock, at which point you should see the volume automatically change to the last volume set while connected to the dock. You should see this, but at least in my case, I don't. Sometimes the iPod Touch would just refuse to switch volume settings until I removed it from the dock and put it right back in.

The iPod Touch is definitely frustrating, that's for sure. I found the iPhone to be worse.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #46
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix
Carrier: AT&T

What iPhone bugs are you referring to? I can only speak from my experience with one iPhone, but I don't come across bugs... At one point Safari crashed a few times, and after a few weeks of not restarting the phone sometimes things work a bit slower - but restarting fixes that, kinda like restarting a computer I would think. Haven't had any other "bugs." Maybe I just have a good apple. Pun intended.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #47
hakaida442
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

Quote:
maybe you should look into a Pre....it can run multiple apps in the background, blackberrys can too, i'm in the dark as to why the iphone can't do this. i'm also in the dark as to why the iphone doesn't have themes or allow a background image.
I got a ton of rollover minutes from att that I'm not walking away from. Pre looks interesting, but I'll pass for now.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (9530)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline
Quote:
i agree. however i gave up on the ipod touch a while ago because i found it to be buggy.
Strange you would say this... I just upgraded to OS 3, and I am experiencing new problems. The sound seems to be more quiet when I plug in headphones, and I am experiencing WiFi connectivity issues.

You're right about the iPod Touch having its share of problems. There are two memorized volume levels, one for the universal dock and one for headphones. The iPod Touch should stay on the headphone volume until you plug it into the dock, at which point you should see the volume automatically change to the last volume set while connected to the dock. You should see this, but at least in my case, I don't. Sometimes the iPod Touch would just refuse to switch volume settings until I removed it from the dock and put it right back in.

The iPod Touch is definitely frustrating, that's for sure. I found the iPhone to be worse.
Another thing I think disgusts me: why do u pay to upgrade you ipod/iphone OS ?
Its especially ridiculous for those that have an ipod....music player paid software upgrade ?!
When that first happened with apple I simply sold the ipod touch
Old 06-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #49
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

i recently returned from iraq, the entire time i was there i couldn't wait to get back and get my hands on the Bold... not even 24 hours after my unit returned home, i was at the at&t store getting the Bold... the screen resolution is better than most TV's out right now IMO...

about two weeks later a good friend of mine i was stationed in japan with came out to visit with his wife, both had iPhone 3G's... after playing around with his (he had it jailbroken) i was really impressed... i really didn't want to give up on the hardware keyboard but, after messing around with his i got used to it quickly. the software is extremely intelligent as far as auto correcting goes (unfortunately i haven't figured out a way to change any of the autocorrect options like you can on the blackberry).

internet on the 3G is MUCH better than any blackberry (as has been mentioned here).

well, about 28 days after using the Bold, i bite the bullet and traded it in for the iPhone 3G myself. i immediately had it jailbroken and THAT is when everything was "opened up" on the iPhone. SOOOOOO many more options on a jailbroken iPhone including but not limited to; THEMES, the ability to show a background, being able to change the ringtones for MMS/SMS, more options to control the phone itself, a one stop place to turn off wifi/bluetooth/ssh/location(gps)/wireless sig (airplane mode) just with the swipe across the top of the screen. many of these things listed above are reasons many didn't want to switch from bb to iPhone.

a week and a half after i traded the Bold in for the iPhone they announced the 3Gs, which included a 50% price drop in the phone i had which was now a week old. at&t gave me the option to either pre-order the 3Gs or get a $150 rebate for the price difference, i opted to preorder considering it wasn't a penny more for the 32gig 3Gs...

now, i wasn't sure how much i'd use the compass on its own BUT... when you are in the maps application, you can use it to actually rotate the map for where you are looking, which i thought was amazing... especially since there isn't a true GPS navigation app out yet for the iPhone (i believe TomTom is working on one now though) using maps for directions is much better with that feature!!!

all in all, i am extremely happy with my decision to switch. i DEFINITELY miss the email PUSH through bb but, i found a work-around for that problem on the iPhone.

as has been mentioned many times, its all in what you'll use the phone more for... business owners should stick with BB, if you want more "play" out of your device, go iPhone!!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #50
ifonline
Magic Bananas

As much as I like my BlackBerry, I have to say that was well put.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #51
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Its especially ridiculous for those that have an ipod....music player paid software upgrade ?!
As much as people refuse to accept it, there are valid reasons (at least as I understand it) that the iPod Touch is a paid upgrade while the iPhone is a free upgrade. It all stems from the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which itself stems from the fall of Enron.

This is not unique to the iPod Touch. There are other Apple products that fall under the S/O Act, as well as products from other manufacturers.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #52
psyct1

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (9530)

iPhone upgrade is free, only iPod touch you need to pay for but, its only $10...

what about all the updates of windows OS's that cost roughly $90...

Mac OS X Snow Leopard is only gonna be $29 to upgrade from Leopard
Old 06-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #53
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
Now that I am excited about, especially with the promise that there will be proper Exchange support for Mail, iCal, and Address Book. Finally, real-time sync with my BlackBerry while using my desktop OS of choice!

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #54
psyct1

Quote:
Now that I am excited about, especially with the promise that there will be proper Exchange support for Mail, iCal, and Address Book. Finally, real-time sync with my BlackBerry while using my desktop OS of choice!
yes sir, if only the corps would switch to Mac OS vice Shitdows
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #55
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Not likely to ever happen. I remember using freakin' 3270 terminals to do work on. What a mess. The Corps loves tradition, which I normally found to be okay, but sometimes it really impeded workflow and progress!

Semper Fi.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #56
zero7404

Quote:
iPhone upgrade is free, only iPod touch you need to pay for but, its only $10...
$ 10 is a lot to ask to 'upgrade' a mobile device OS, especially when all other competitors aren't charging a dime.....

Quote:
what about all the updates of windows OS's that cost roughly $90...
what are you referring to that costs $ 90 ? a computer is not a mobile phone or mp3 player. Upgrading an OS for computer platforms needs more R&D than the scaled-down, easy to write for mobile platforms like phones and mp3 players. it's going to be a while before any mobile device smaller than 7"x4" can be called a desktop replacement.

Quote:
i respect your line of work for the fact that you put yourself in harms way for a cause, but the administration and decision makers which are the ppl that ordered you over there are less than righteous with money-driven motives as a priority over peace and life.....but at least they know how to compensate their soldiers: an S4, a bold, a mac, etc....all with steep discounts i bet. so what's $ 29 in that case ?

with regard to apple products, spend all your money on them if you like. in the end an apple product is a loss bigger than most other tech products i would consider buying. this is because you will A: lose interest in a short period of time, and B: they will update something in less than 6 months and you will feel like you just spend a whole bunch of money on something that no one's raving about anymore.

Last edited by zero7404; 06-20-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #57
psyct1

zero...

not sure if you were trying to throw a "zinger" in there about my "line of work" but...

people take this stuff WAY to seriously, its a damn phone or mp3 player...

if you don't want to pay the $10 to upgrade, don't...

if you don't want to purchase an apple device, don't...

but DON'T tell someone not to just because you do not like the products, send them to an electronics store, try out both, if they like either... THEY are happy... i'm sure you won't lose any sleep over one of your friend's switching from windows > mac, or blackberry > iphone...

Last edited by psyct1; 06-20-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #58
zero7404

Quote:
but DON'T tell someone not to just because you do not like the products, send them to an electronics store, try out both, if they like either... THEY are happy... i'm sure you won't lose any sleep over one of your friend's switching from windows > mac, or blackberry > iphone...
did i tell you not to buy something i don't like ?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #59
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well... this was a somewhat interesting discussion, but it looks like it is about to take a turn for the worse. Time to unsubscribe I guess.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #60
psyct1

Quote:
Not likely to ever happen. I remember using freakin' 3270 terminals to do work on. What a mess. The Corps loves tradition, which I normally found to be okay, but sometimes it really impeded workflow and progress!

Semper Fi.
i still use 3270 man, lol
Closed Thread