Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #21
hakaida442
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

A question for anyone that knows the iphone well. When you are looking at the contacts in the iphone phone book, I notice that it doesn't show the company name under the contact like it does on the blackberry. Is there an option to show the company name in small print under the name of the person when looking at the list of contacts? This might be a deal breaker for me. I guess this is why bb is the best for business users.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

No. Options are fairly limited on the iPhone. To make matters worse, Apple has a tendency towards half-baked solutions with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

For example, Bluetooth audio streaming is finally an option with iPhone OS 3... hooray! Now I can finally use my iPod Touch on my motorcycle via Bluetooth streaming! And since my helmet (Nolan N-103) has the ability to play, pause, stop, fast forward, and rewind Bluetooth audio devices, I can control my iPod Touch! Yay! Oh wait... Apple has not implemented Bluetooth A/V control. What? So another half-baked implementation. Surprise.

My Bold, with its "terrible multimedia capabilities," can do this. Huh. That's odd.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 06-17-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
DataCentre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoevets View Post
People also forget that the BlackBerry is a smartphone and works great for that. The iPhone is more or less a Computer. I make calls, Surf, Text use GPS, dock it in my car and play music, Remote control iTunes in my house, stream video to the net etc etc. Battery life is not going to be the same as the iPhone has way more horsepower.
I don't agree with you on this one. My BB can do all that the iPhone can, except I find that on my iPod Touch, after just playing a few games and listening to some music, the battery is really low. Nice thing is, when my BB battery is dead and I'm out on the road with no place to charge it, I can just take out my spare battery that I carry with me, pop it in and I'm good to go. Can't do that with an iPhone.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

these threads are pointless, just look at the last million of them and they all read the same.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #25
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Very true. But hey, it helps pass time during the day.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #26
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKD1 View Post
Thanks Steve thats what I was trying to find out. That helped out a lot.
You're welcome.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #27
David.Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
A question for anyone that knows the iphone well. When you are looking at the contacts in the iphone phone book, I notice that it doesn't show the company name under the contact like it does on the blackberry. Is there an option to show the company name in small print under the name of the person when looking at the list of contacts? This might be a deal breaker for me. I guess this is why bb is the best for business users.
If you're syncing from a Mac you have more address fields, if you're creating a contact on the phone you can add a business. I don't know what gets transferred in a sync from Outlook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.PNG
Views:	386
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	16584  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
ifonline
Magic Bananas

It will show the company name when viewing the details of the contact, sure, but unlike the BlackBerry, it will not show the company name under the contact name when viewing the list of contacts. I assumed that was what the question was referring to.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
David.Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
It will show the company name when viewing the details of the contact, sure, but unlike the BlackBerry, it will not show the company name under the contact name when viewing the list of contacts. I assumed that was what the question was referring to.
Oh, yeah, you're right! That's probably what the OP was referring to.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

It's called an iPhone, not I-Phone.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #31
hakaida442

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Burke View Post
If you're syncing from a Mac you have more address fields, if you're creating a contact on the phone you can add a business. I don't know what gets transferred in a sync from Outlook.
but does the address field show up in the list of contacts? thats what i didnt like when looking at a friends iphone. i have over 600 contacts and at least 75% is for work. in list mode (or whatever iphone people call it) it only shows the names of contacts.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #32
hakaida442

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
yes that was what i was asking for. i guess i'm not ready to quite give up the bb.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #33
David.Burke

Quote:
yes that was what i was asking for. i guess i'm not ready to quite give up the bb.
Yeah, you wouldn't like the iPhone address book.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
David.Burke

Quote:
The only alternative you have is the group view. You can group corporate contacts by their company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0004.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	16586  
Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #35
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix
Carrier: AT&T

OP, just to offer my experience:

My 2G iPhone (does what I need, plus I save $240 on my AT&T contract with the cheaper plan) is two years old and still looks and works great - taken good care of it. I use the phone heavily, yet battery life is still good and I haven't needed to replace it. I run a non-profit organization and have two email accounts on the phone. I use and rely on my phone all the time. Email is not always perfect, but I will tell you that during the day 95% of the time emails arrive to my phone before they do on my computer.

There needs to be a referrence name for the phone for iPhone users like crackberry is for BB users. I don't know what I would do if I lost mine. It keeps me connected to my technology and needs. With the most recent update, 3.0 software, landscape mode is amazing, as is cut/copy/paste, the spotlight search, and mms (which you already know will technically be available through AT&T later this summer.) There's more on the update I haven't started using yet.

For me, the iPhone (including typing and the "smudgy" screen - if mine gets smudgy I don't notice) is so easy to use and does everything I need it to do like a workhorse. Good luck in your choice. Just wanted to add my input.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #36
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

sorry ppl, but i just have to post in here.

the article i posted below is just a classic image of what this whole iphone phenomena has become....i couldn't get the grin off my face when i saw the pictures comparing today's release with 2 yrs ago....

iPhone 3G S global launch sees smaller lines, quieter reception (update)

down in nyc, i hear the hopefuls waited in the chilly rain.....he he....'power to the ppl....'
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #37
ifonline
Magic Bananas

While that photo showed very few people in line for the iPhone 3GS at that particular store, check this out:

Update: According to O2, sales for the 3G S have already surpassed numbers for the iPhone 3G during last year's launch. Looks like pre-orders were in full effect here.

So, year one the iPhone was a massive hit. Year two, the iPhone 3G was an even bigger hit and outsold the original iPhone. Year three (and on launch day, today), and the iPhone 3GS is an even bigger hit! It has reportedly already sold more than last year on launch day. So while the lines may be shorter (and not all of them are), the sales are huge!

I love my BB, but I miss some of the capabilities of the iPhone. What really amazes me, though, is regardless of your stance on the iPhone, you can't deny the incredible sales these things generate.

Now where is RIM's new OS?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #38
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

all arguments welcome friends i need to rant here, so don't read on if you take things really seriously about this topic....

i don't see anything really revolutionary going on in the smartphone frontier....

as a matter of fact, the only recent smartphone offering that i see potential with is the Pre.....made only by it's WebOS operating system.

regardless of technology progression, i haven't seen many breakthroughs in the past 3-4 years. touch screen is a technology invented several years ago, it took long enough to appear on a phone

enter Apple's reality distortion feild, and you'll be sold on the iphone 3G S with it's 'revolutionary' technology and restrictions (personally, i think the restrictions are what's revolutionary about Apple products....before you know it, they've got you convinced).....

Last edited by zero7404; 06-19-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #39
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I basically agree.

I am very disappointed with Apple's latest offering of the iPhone 3GS. In my opinion there isn't enough to justify moving from 3G to 3GS, but undoubtedly plenty of people will (and apparently already have).

As far as the Apple restrictions are concerned, I hated the limitations with the iPhone because those restrictions made the iPhone so incapable of being a truly fantastic device. Well, that and bugs. They didn't help.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #40
hakaida442

I'm going to upgrade to the onyx or magnum if that's coming within the next 3 months. I also use msn messenger and aim (sometimes) and a lot of my contacts use bb messenger. I don't understand why the iphone only has a beta version of aim and no msn. i don't usually like going the 3rd party app route either and why can't the iphone run apps in the background. The iphone does a lot of things better than the bb, just not the things that are important to me.
Closed Thread