Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
WIKD1

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t mobile
Default BB 8900 vs I-Phone 3gS

Please Login to Remove!

I am hoping you guys can help me make an informed decision. I have had BB's for quite a few years and my 8900 is by far the best one yet. However my carrier, T-Mobile, had been giving me all types of problems the last 6 weeks and they are not sure how long till they can rectify their tower problems. So I am changing carriers to AT&T and with it need new phones for me and the wife, she also has a BB. The wifes company will pay for the phones, a nice perk, and she has her heart set on the new I-Phone 3GS. I have been trying to decide between a BB or the I-Phone. The only cons to the BB is no 3G and a slow web browser but the problem is only 1 con to the I-Phone I can think of and thats no MMS till September. Not a big deal because thats one of the issues I am having with T-Mobile so have not been able to receive MMS for a month. Any information or different way of looking at things would be appreciated. I hate to jump to the I-phone and miss out on something I'm overlooking. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

U need to keep in mind of the touch screen. It makes typing much slower and harder
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

U need to keep in mind of the touch screen. It makes typing much slower and harder
To say nothing of having a screen covered with fingerprints. I hate that about my Garmin GPS and it is ten times worse when you are typing email on the iPhone screen. Yet people rave about the iPhone's screen. I guess they don't mind the smudges.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
TotalTech
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304D3782
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

The bold on ATT is 3g isn't it? The processor is one of the fastest I've used on a BB and it does support mms. Both have gps both have media players one has a really qwerty keyboard one is touch screen. And the iPhone has no replacable battery.

How well will the cut and past work? How well will the landscape keyboard work? It will be a mad rush those first days for the iPhone I'd recommend going and touching both.

The iPhone does have a ton of apps most are just ehh but some are useful.

Bottom line will be your preference

Last edited by TotalTech; 06-13-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
popusito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Fido

Keep in mind that the iphone is more for entretaiment than anything else, i wouldnt change my 8900 for an iphone if i want 3g i would wait for the new ones from bb or go to the bold!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
unkmark

Carrier: T-Mobile

As A Former Iphone User, I Can Say, GLAD TO HAVE BUTTONS BACK!

Fall 08'
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Agreed. I have had the iPhone and the iPhone 3G (two of them, actually). Before (and in-between) the iPhones, I have had BlackBerry devices going all the way back to the RIM 950. I just keep coming back to the BlackBerry. The iPhone is a great device, and the 3GS looks to be even nicer, but it still doesn't have a hardware keyboard. For me, that's a big deal. There's more to it than that, but the keyboard on the Bold is just that amazing.

And unkmark, ironic what you said as that is exactly what I said last week when I picked up the Bold. It just feels right.

Beyond that, though, is the issue of switching carriers. The grass is always greener, as they say. You will find AT&T has its share of issues as well, from down time to spotty 3G coverage in areas. I have been with AT&T for so long I can't remember what they used to be called, but at one point it was BellSouth DCS I think. I won't be leaving AT&T for another carrier because none are perfect, so I might as well stick with the one I have the history with. It helps me out since I change phones more than I change socks (I'll be switching to the Tour/Onyx/whatever it will be called when it hits AT&T for example).

On the other hand, something to consider... It has been said that AT&T is the largest BlackBerry carrier in the US, and possibly in the world. If accurate, there wouldn't be a better carrier if you plan on sticking with the BlackBerry.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 06-14-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Dinkoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Agreed. I have had the iPhone and the iPhone 3G (two of them, actually). Before (and in-between) the iPhones, I have had BlackBerry devices going all the way back to the RIM 950. I just keep coming back to the BlackBerry. The iPhone is a great device, and the 3GS looks to be even nicer, but it still doesn't have a hardware keyboard. For me, that's a big deal. There's more to it than that, but the keyboard on the Bold is just that amazing.

And unkmark, ironic what you said as that is exactly what I said last week when I picked up the Bold. It just feels right.

Beyond that, though, is the issue of switching carriers. The grass is always greener, as they say. You will find AT&T has its share of issues as well, from down time to spotty 3G coverage in areas. I have been with AT&T for so long I can't remember what they used to be called, but at one point it was BellSouth DCS I think. I won't be leaving AT&T for another carrier because none are perfect, so I might as well stick with the one I have the history with. It helps me out since I change phones more than I change socks (I'll be switching to the Tour/Onyx/whatever it will be called when it hits AT&T for example).

On the other hand, something to consider... It has been said that AT&T is the largest BlackBerry carrier in the US, and possibly in the world. If accurate, there wouldn't be a better carrier if you plan on sticking with the BlackBerry.

To add, Iphone is a great phone for internet browsing. It has a better browsing interface IMO. I think the BB has lot to improve in that department.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Very true. The iPhone does have a fantastic web browser. That said, I can do a quick Google search or a Wikipedia read and get information without issue on the BlackBerry. The web browsing experience on the BlackBerry doesn't come close to the iPhone's, but it isn't absolutely horrible either.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalTech View Post
Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

The bold on ATT is 3g isn't it? The processor is one of the fastest I've used on a BB and it does support mms. Both have gps both have media players one has a really qwerty keyboard one is touch screen. And the iPhone has no replacable battery.

How well will the cut and past work? How well will the landscape keyboard work? It will be a mad rush those first days for the iPhone I'd recommend going and touching both.

The iPhone does have a ton of apps most are just ehh but some are useful.

Bottom line will be your preference
I agree with this. It is preference. I support Blackberry devices at my place of work but I carry an iPhone for personal use. I can type much faster on my iPhone then on a full qwerty BB device.

People also forget that the BlackBerry is a smartphone and works great for that. The iPhone is more or less a Computer. I make calls, Surf, Text use GPS, dock it in my car and play music, Remote control iTunes in my house, stream video to the net etc etc. Battery life is not going to be the same as the iPhone has way more horsepower.

I work to live, not live for work.
iPhone for living
BlackBerry for working
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
WIKD1

Thanks for all the input guys. Still not sure what I'm going to do only because I have had such good luck with the BB's I have had. The only definite is I am changing to AT&T. I just can't put up with the issues I am having with T-Mobile, which is a shame since I have been with them for years.
I do have a question that maybe steve or someone can answer since its impossible to get through to apple. Can you sync the Iphone with outlook 03? I don't have a mac and use outlook for everything so if I can't do that it will be a deal breaker.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes. It was designed to play nice with MS. Check this out...

Sync Your iPhone 3G with Vista and Outlook
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by popusito View Post
Keep in mind that the iphone is more for entretaiment than anything else, i wouldnt change my 8900 for an iphone if i want 3g i would wait for the new ones from bb or go to the bold!!!
I agree, if you spend time on Facebook, youtube... and use the browser a lot get an iphone but for emails nothing is better than a BB!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Email is great on the iPhone. I would say if you connect to an exchange environment there's no better choice than a BB.

Again, life vs work..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
WIKD1

Thanks Steve thats what I was trying to find out. That helped out a lot.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoevets View Post
Email is great on the iPhone.
I have a different viewpoint. I found e-mail on the iPhone to be cumbersome. I have several e-mail accounts that I check on a regular basis, and drilling down into the folders on the iPhone for each account just to read and manage e-mail became a pain. Drill down. Read. Delete. Drill up. Drill down in next account. Rinse. Repeat.

Additionally, their push e-mail wasn't so hot. E-mail managed on the computer was not pushed to the iPhone until a new message appeared. According to Apple, this is the way it was designed to work. What? It used to drive me nuts to have an unread e-mail icon on the iPhone even after I read all my e-mail on my desktop computer. Why these two couldn't stay in sync was beyond me.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Moving to the BlackBerry Versus section.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Just a suggestion to consider: if you like BB check out the 8900. It's not 3g but it's as fast on EDGE as the Bold is on 3G if you use ATT (at least for downloading pages). That's what a lot of people say. I know that 3g on ATT has some battery issues searching for a signal. Of course the Bold is 3g on ATT too, if you're sold on the 3g thing (I'm not). So the iPhone isn't the only excellent smartphone out there.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-16-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
hakaida442
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550

I have an 8800 thats getting old ( no camera, no 3g) for work (real estate) and am debating between the iphone 3gs (peer pressure from my apple fanboy/girl buddies) and the upcoming bb magnum or onyx. So far I hate the keyboard on the iphone (everyone says i'll get used to it) and hate that it lacks a Today theme like the ones on bb. I also find that the bb is much easier to use with one hand too.

The one thing that I really hate about the bb is the trackball. I hate cleaning it and having to do a battery pull every week. I'm hoping the new bb devices will have the trackpad.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoevets View Post
Email is great on the iPhone. I would say if you connect to an exchange environment there's no better choice than a BB.

Again, life vs work..
The BB with Exchange is only better if your company uses BES. If it doesn't, then the iphone is better.
Closed Thread