Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
raphrf

Model: -
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -
Default Nokia E71 Vs Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I hesitate between the Nokia E71 and 2 blackberry of Rogers, the BOLD or the curve 8900. I want to use this phone for music, internet, emails, messenger, radio streaming and apps like graphic calculator(3d). What is the best compromise ? Do you know if nokia can be on the internet at the same time as the messenger like a blackberry? thank you!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
zocster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

IMHO, both are good, I would love to have a 3G pearl size blackberry as I am sick of big phones. At the end, you need to play with things, some people will find the BB architecture is confusing compared to the Nokia's, have a play with them both surely they will have them in your town to 'test'
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I had Blackberrys, then jumped to Nokia. I loved my E71 and the excellent build quality, plus the capabilities of Symbian S60. Nokias shine in the multimedia department. I've had several N95 models, the E71, E90, N75, and a few others as well. I came back to Blackberrys when email became my #1 priority.

For email, Blackberry has no equal. It's not even close! And Blackberry can handle music, internet, streaming radio, and messenger. I've not seen a graphing calculator for Blackberry yet.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
illcoolz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Zain

Rambo, I think this is what your looking for:

Affordable mobile productivity and learning tools!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcoolz View Post
Rambo, I think this is what your looking for:

Affordable mobile productivity and learning tools!
Boom! gCalc is teh win!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
tingcrab

Carrier: CMCC Peoples

I had the same struggle in between E71 and bb8900...and I think these two have pretty much the same features except bb's got the push mail system which it strongs on (but I had no use of it)... It was a bit hard for me to decide...

...but at the end, bb has Ball (no s), so bb wins.

Balls is very important tho, u know, surfing the web w/ the ball with one hand. This is something you can't really do with a normal PDA phone while u're standing on the crowded train cab.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
jhingalala

Model: 8330

I have both, the Nokia e71 and BB 8330. I initially got the e71 and used it extensively. It is great for multimedia (audio/video), streaming videos, internet radio, and has hundreds, if not thousands, of useful applications. All kinds of known connectivity are supported - USB, WiFi, GPRS, 3G, Bluetooth, IrDA. The Symbian OS is extremely fast even when multi-tasking. Battery life is amazing - 3-4 days with my normal usage, YMMV.

The only shortfall was that due to my company's IT and Security departments, I had to set up work-arounds to get email. I have read reviews where if ActiveSync is set up to work with Exchange, email set up for e71 is extremely easy.
All other well-known email providers - Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, work very well with the e71. This would be comparable to the BIS provided by RIM.

A few months after I acquired the e71, I was issued a BB 8330 from my work place. I like the way it is integrated with my intranet, Exchange and AD. Other than that I feel it is a cumbersome device. The BB interface is not intuitive. BB owners take pride in the existence of abundant shortcuts. But coming from the e71, I feel that the shortcuts exist because of lack of buttons and/or interfaces. Moreover, the BB OS is slow. The battery needs to be recharged every day with my less than regular usage - no video or audio, no streaming internet radio.

BB is a very powerful email machine because the SW, HW and infrastructure (BES, BIS) have been built to provide one single thing - email.

The e71 is an overall excellent device. However, Nokia is not in the email hosting business (it does offer free email hosting in Beta). It works well if IT department sets up email in a more open format - IMAP, POP3, and stumbles (through no fault of the device) if mail servers are not set up for external access.

By the way, as the e71 is an unlocked and no-contract phone, I used it with a prepaid account and cheap, no contract, data plan through AT&T.

Last edited by jhingalala; 04-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Added mention of battery life.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
ScooterG

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

Uh oh...
Nokia E71x (AT&T) | LetsTalk.com
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

Coming from the Nokia world, I find that Nokia's email clients and services = fail! They should do a lot better for their E-series because email is life and blood for the corporate world. Nokia excels in many areas, but they truly has to improve on their built in messaging and email---both of whom suffer even in comparison to Windows Mobile and iPhone.

Another thing. If you are USA/Canada/NA centric, S60 suffers from a Eurocentric software base. That means don't expect much in terms of true native software support from NA companies.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
ScooterG

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.

I'm finding the Nokia Email app to be surprisingly nice. It is not anything close to what the Blackberry email experience though. If email is your primary use for the phone, stay with BB. The E71 is a very well rounded phone, that's for sure though. So far (1 day), I've got an app that lets me create a wifi hotspot so I can use my laptop or iPod Touch while out and about...no cables, a native Adobe PDF app, and a killer Twitter app called Gravity. I do miss Pandora though!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
tripreed

Default AT&T 8900 over E71x

This is my first post, I'm glad to be here.

This past Sunday my family decided to extend their contract with AT&T, meaning new phones. This is something I had eagerly been awaiting for quite a while. For the past two years I have been using an 8700c that a friend of mine gave me. I didn't have email or internet on it, but I definitely enjoyed it as a phone and for sending texts.

In anticipation of our renewal, I had planned on getting a new Blackberry (wasn't sure what model yet), but on preliminary visit to the store, the E71x caught my eye and I was intrigued. I like how small it was, the shortcut keys to contacts and email, and having used Nokias in the past, I have always been pleased with their quality. Well after reading numerous reviews and watching demonstrations on Youtube, this is the phone I ended up getting this past Sunday.

Probably by the end of the day on Monday, I began having second thoughts. I found the Symbian operating system to be a chore to use, it took me forever to get a decent push email set up for my Gmail (I ended up using Emoze), and the AT&T bloatware was pretty annoying (though I did end up deleting a lot of it per instructions on the internet). I did begin to miss some of the small things about the Blackberry, though, like being able to just hit "R" to reply to an email or text, or how it will automatically recognize when I'm using contractions and add in an apostrophe when necessary. Also, I found the keyboard a pain to type on, and the battery was not very impressive. I then talked to a friend of mine who had just upgraded to the 8900 and was telling me how much he liked it and how pleased he was. After doing more research and waffling about the decision, I finally went back to AT&T and exchanged it on Wednesday.

Having used the 8900 for the past day and a half, I have to say that I absolutely don't regret my decision. I really like this phone; it's intuitive and easy to use, and the email is excellent. I've been pleased with Edge so far, though I don't do a lot of surfing, so maybe it's not that big of a deal to me. Battery life remains to be seen; it doesn't seem to be too big of an improvement so far, but I think that's something I can deal with. While the E71x is certainly a nice phone and does have a lot to offer, it just didn't work for me. Anyways, if anyone is trying to decide between the two, especially if you have had a Blackberry in the past, I suggest going with the 8900.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
whatsapp

Model: 8320
PIN: 20908742
Carrier: A&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphrf View Post
I hesitate between the Nokia E71 and 2 blackberry of Rogers, the BOLD or the curve 8900. I want to use this phone for music, internet, emails, messenger, radio streaming and apps like graphic calculator(3d). What is the best compromise ? Do you know if nokia can be on the internet at the same time as the messenger like a blackberry? thank you!
nokia E71 is a great phone, like most nokia phones. however, as an internet device, i found it lacking. i couldn't get used to the interface and the up/down/left/right controls (especially coming from from iPhone world of touch or BlackBerry world of trackball)
Old 08-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!

Hello, I just recently chose to go with ATT after 9 years of being a Vzw customer and I had a big dilemma. I had to get 4 phones when I moved, all at once so cost was a consideration.

I liked my BB's (curve) but the price of the curve, for the same thing I had was about 50 bucks more than the e71, and for the BB's with wifi and that ran on the 3g network, I was at 199, and 299 for the bold. I loved the bold, just loved it but could not justify the truck payment I would have to shell out to get it. So I chose the e71.

Here are my impressions, it's not a BB. But that is ok! It has a icon driven interface, which is comforting coming from BB, it has decent email, and actually for email, despite what you all say here, I think is superior. Why is it superior? Because I can set up IMAP4 email accounts on it and I could not find anything that allowed me to do it on BB. My client (part of the US ARMY) has banned the use of BB and their mail aggregator (sp?) so I could no longer get my mail on my phone. That stunk....att has a program called xpress mail on the phone that did what I wanted but lacked html support. Nokia messaging lets get my mail too, and though not technically push, it pulls at the times you schedule it, so I still get the mail all day, and it does HTML.

The phone is a lot easier to manage files on imo, and there are so many apps it is insane.

yes I miss my BB but for the cost difference and the features, I don't think you will be dissapointed with the e71x.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
TG7

Model: Bold
Carrier: 02

I'm not a fan at all of the Nokia software.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
F0nage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: None

Nokia software is piss poor. But the aftermarket has some oustanding apps. You have many good browser choices including native flash support on Nokia's browser. I have sftp and ssh clients, an ntp client, several messengers and an excellent task manager on my Nokia, all essentially freeware.

I'm also trying to decide between an E72 and an 8900. I'm sick of fighting the lack of a keyboard and I'm sick of Nokia's policy of having their paying customers alpha test their crappy releases. But the E72 seems to be a good phone running the relatively more stable 3rd edition OS and also has 3G which helps in my area when I use it. I use wifi 95% of the time. Nokia also has a good user community and a lot of support.

Blackberry ropes you into their own servers and BIS and we saw over the last few weeks what that can mean when you need your email *now*. I don't live in a big city or even a city at all, so I'm not sure if it will work for me and the plans are definitely more expensive. However, the Blackberry hardware and native software gets high marks and a lot of loyalty from their users, that tells me something. I'm thinking I would really like having one. I just need heavy-duty email, reliability and long battery life. I already have a Nokia 5800 for almost everything else.

Last edited by F0nage; 12-27-2009 at 05:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
allessioz

Model: 9000
Carrier: Maxis

my previous phone is E71, and i like its design. just it don't have the 3.5mm earphone plug :(
Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #17
expatspain

Model: 8100t
Carrier: cell phone development

Both are good according to specific requirements as emailing can be done better through blackberry and its easier to use messenger in nokia...Both have a good connectivity...The Symbian OS used in nokia is extremely fast even when multi-tasking. Battery life is also great..
Old 07-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
bingblink

Model: 7100T
Carrier: SingTel

I love my E71 that I used to own.

Excellent in indescribable ways.... maybe better navigation and interaction for me.

Find that browsing on the Net is not so great with E71, and emails too. But since emails are not my #1 priority, so I was quite happy with it.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #19
Joeyki

Carrier: blue

I also have a serious dilemma between BB 9700 and E72

Now, my question is that - when it comes to PERSONAL USE (nothing to do with business - emails, push mail, etc..), what does the BB have that Nokia's E71\72 doesn't?
Is it safe to say that if business is not your first priority, or even second to this matter - BB 9700 is not that different and\or better than the E71\72?
Without all the business benefits you pay the Data Plan for - does it make the BB 9700 a simple phone you pay serious money in order to have basic features that are free in any ordinary phone (such as WiFi)?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
TN2Day

Carrier: du
Default Transfer of Contacts from Nokia E71 to BB 9700 Bold

I am using e71 and planning to start using BB 9700 Bold. How do I transfer my contacts from E71 to BB 9700 Bold.....Please Help

email me the link or details at

[email address]
Closed Thread