BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
Dragondima

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: At&T

Please Login to Remove!

Everyone is making a lot of sense, but the issue comes to ArgonNJ was saying. This is a mobile phone, and even business oriented phones have to be able to market themselves to everyone. The "wow" factor shouldn't be limited to people with an iPhone. Like I mentioned earlier, I LOVE MY Blackberry Bold! I think it's the greatest mobile phone ever created, but I'm frustrated with the lack of development being held for it. There is a demand and it's not being met, there isn't enough competition amongst those who develop real world applications for it. Documents-to-go sells for $69.99! That's insane! You can buy MS Office H&S for $99.99, but it's $20 cheaper for a phone! That makes no sense to me. Even as a business phone, I'm sure there are a lot of business man and woman that would like to be able to use their phones for more and more. A theme costs $7 on Crackberry's store. That's just robbery of hard working people. These phones aren't cheap, and for many cost more than iPhones, why not have the ability to have it do more?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #22
Godzilla07
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: Nein
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondima View Post
Everyone is making a lot of sense, but the issue comes to ArgonNJ was saying. This is a mobile phone, and even business oriented phones have to be able to market themselves to everyone. The "wow" factor shouldn't be limited to people with an iPhone. Like I mentioned earlier, I LOVE MY Blackberry Bold! I think it's the greatest mobile phone ever created, but I'm frustrated with the lack of development being held for it. There is a demand and it's not being met, there isn't enough competition amongst those who develop real world applications for it. Documents-to-go sells for $69.99! That's insane! You can buy MS Office H&S for $99.99, but it's $20 cheaper for a phone! That makes no sense to me. Even as a business phone, I'm sure there are a lot of business man and woman that would like to be able to use their phones for more and more. A theme costs $7 on Crackberry's store. That's just robbery of hard working people. These phones aren't cheap, and for many cost more than iPhones, why not have the ability to have it do more?
DocsToGo Premium is marketed towards the people who have to get things done in case they forgot their $2,000+ ThinkPad at home. Every iPhone user I know has their app pages full. But hardly any of those apps are useful. Most are one-time novelty apps such as iBeer or iFart. Business users don't use novelty apps.

I am fine with the apps I have on my phone and if I want to play games, that's what my iPod touch is for. If you want iPhone apps without the iPhone, then get an iPod touch.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

On the iphone, if I'm not mistaken, you can only have one app running at a time anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
mmarx135

Model: 8100
Carrier: att

people should start extracting .cod files
Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #25
PaulMdx

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondima View Post
even business oriented phones have to be able to market themselves to everyone
Given RIM have just announced their results, which show an increase in userbase and a decrease in profits, some analysts may disagree with that.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
BlankBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2060454E
Carrier: Rogers

Only app I want for my Bold is that iphone app to view MRI's..lol
Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #27
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

iPhone apps that recently ported:

Shazam (big one) FREE
Pandora FREE
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
cole.parker

Model: 8300
Carrier: cincular
Default After the iPhone Apple store you need to have something

It would seem to me that Apps have been a very successful marketing campaign for Apple and the iPhone. Blackberry apps always seemed very "third party" to me and once I downloaded a spell checker application (on a much older BB) that caused me to have to call the carrier to reset the phone. It doesn't matter really who's better, I don't think realistically Blackberry and live in a post iPhone world without an App store play.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
Given RIM have just announced their results, which show an increase in userbase and a decrease in profits, some analysts may disagree with that.
I don't really agree either. Amateur analysts on discussion forums always love to post "X needs to Y in order to remain competitive with Z" and Y is always something that Z does. It doesn't matter which product is under discussion but people seem to think that the lemming business model is the only way to succeed. I guess their reasoning is that is Z is successful then copying them must mean success for any of the copycat businesses. I'd love to see their supporting evidence but anyone making this claim never manages to supply any...

How many "Blackberry killers" have come and gone over the years? I expect to see just as many, if not more "iPhone killers" to do the same (i.e. die by the side of the road). You can only saturate the marketplace so much with the same products. Product diversity is what gives consumers choice -- not product copycatting.

Consider the successful products that you can recall off the top of your head. What did they copy to make their product successful? Success probably came from offering something slightly different is my guess.

It's like the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none". Try to please everyone and your product won't have its own niche to distinguish itself from the rest. Why should anyone choose your product?

Last edited by takeshi; 04-02-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #30
Chevyguy

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla07 View Post
All I want from the iPhone is Shazam, EverNote and Wordpress. Pandora would be nice because I don't like Slacker as much but Slacker is okay.

The iPhone is very limited by Apple's limitations. Jailbreaking frees up the iPhone. Listening to Pandora while browsing in Safari with Fring also open is great. But even with jailbreaking there are still some limitations such as e-mail and copy and paste.
Email, copy, and paste on iPhone ??? That's been out for a while now dude !
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #31
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

I'm pretty sure there are apps in the iPhone that are so esoteric you won't find them in the Blackberry or anywhere, not even in Windows Mobile.

1. Air Search. Basically turns the iPhone or iPod Touch into a wireless network drive. Lets you drag and drop files into the device from the PC, Mac, or Linux PC. Without any cable. PC needs Wifi NIC or just be connected to a wifi router.

2. Applications that turn the iPhone or iPod Touch into a remote wireless mouse pad. By moving your finger across the screen, the mouse pointer in your Mac or PC moves along with it.

3. Anti Mosquito software. That's right. It generates sounds beyond the human range of hearing in order to drive mosquitoes away.

4. Spectrum Analyzers. Yes, they will analyze sound patterns and display the waveforms on the screen for real time. For professional audiophiles.

5. International News Readers. The iPHone or iPod Touch is now so prevalent internationally, you can get an application that specializes in something like, news for your Pinoys out there.

7. An application that lets you control iTunes remotely. This is from Apple.

8. Gag software. You must already heard of the applications that turn the iPhone into a light saber, with all the star wars sounds everytime you swing the iPhone. One gag software makes the display looks like a glass of beer. Tilt the phone to sip, ahake the phone and foam will appear.

9. Pet software. Like those that make all sorts of cat or dog sounds so you can either communicate or annoy your pet.

10. Zen software. Intended to create all sorts of special moods through graphics and sounds. Example is the program called Chakra Tuning.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #32
urboytex

Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
It's going to be expensive it you try to turn the Blackberry into something it was not designed for. It's a professional-grade communications device and PIM. If you want lots of wow-ee bells and whistles, get an iPhone. If you want a multimedia device or a gaming device, get a PSP. You can personalize your BB for almost nothing, but turning it into something it's not is going to cost, and it will never function like a device that was designed for it's main purpose anyway.
I agree 100% the BB are designed to be a tool, not a toy. Professionals have tools. Kiddos have toys.

dont get me wrong, i like to have fun and the iphone is great for web browsing and games. but to stay productive and top of my game, i need, I NEED, a BB.

although a fun topic will be the new Nokia coming out. i heard the software of the bb is on the new nokia
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #33
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

I have used my iPhone and a terminal emulator to configure Cisco Multilayer Switches while in the field. Now that's a great tool! I think I was listening to music at the same time. hmmm ;)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #34
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

I use my iPod touch to detect wireless routers, test their connection speed and configure them right there.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #35
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by urboytex View Post
I agree 100% the BB are designed to be a tool, not a toy. Professionals have tools. Kiddos have toys.

dont get me wrong, i like to have fun and the iphone is great for web browsing and games. but to stay productive and top of my game, i need, I NEED, a BB.

although a fun topic will be the new Nokia coming out. i heard the software of the bb is on the new nokia
Blah, blah, blah, you really need to do better then the whole iphone is a toy thing. It is the quintessential cry of the BB fan boy!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
sabrewulf

I'm surprised this is even an argument. I've owned both and I have to say, nothing compares to the apps available on the iPhone. I'm not talking about dumb apps (i.e. iFart, iBeer, etc), I'm talking about actual useful apps such as banking, news, weather, games.. Are absolutely gorgeous on the iPhone.

Compare the same application on both platforms and you will see how much fluid and practical it is on the iPhone. Case in point, Beejive.

Most of the hate comes from people who have never really used one and the 5 minutes at the retail store doesn't even do justice. I may sound like an Apple fanboy.. But I have been a BB user for quite some time now and Apple has won me over. I do prefer the BB's design (physical keyboard > touch), I hate the feel of having to always plug in my iPhone due to horrible battery life and I've had my iPhone replaced several times as the device isn't built like a tank as most BB's are.

With the recent launch of the BlackBerry App store, I'm optimistic for RIM as well.

Having had my iPhone stolen.. It's a chance to go back to BlackBerry now. There were a lot of times when I did have my iPhone that I wished I hadn't gotten one.. and other times, I was like a fat kid with a cup cake. I already miss some of the apps though. I'll wait and see what Apple has to offer in terms of new hardware in June/July to see if I'll jump back or stay with the BB Bold.

Last edited by sabrewulf; 04-09-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #37
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrewulf View Post
I'm surprised this is even an argument. I've owned both and I have to say, nothing compares to the apps available on the iPhone. I'm not talking about dumb apps (i.e. iFart, iBeer, etc), I'm talking about actual useful apps such as banking, news, weather, games.. Are absolutely gorgeous on the iPhone.

Compare the same application on both platforms and you will see how much fluid and practical it is on the iPhone. Case in point, Beejive.
I had several BBs and have gone back and forth between them and the iphone. The fluidity, quality and quantity of applications for the iphone wins hands down. Apps written for the ancient BB OS look like crap compared to the same application for the iphone. I said before, RIM needs to overhaul its OS if it ever hopes to stay competitive with the others. I was just reading the other day that the much anticipated OS 5.0 won't really be much different from OS 4.7. So much for any innovation from RIM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #38
sabrewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I had several BBs and have gone back and forth between them and the iphone. The fluidity, quality and quantity of applications for the iphone wins hands down. Apps written for the ancient BB OS look like crap compared to the same application for the iphone. I said before, RIM needs to overhaul its OS if it ever hopes to stay competitive with the others. I was just reading the other day that the much anticipated OS 5.0 won't really be much different from OS 4.7. So much for any innovation from RIM.
Most of the people who have negative things to say about the iPhone have never owned one. That's where the problem lies.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #39
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrewulf View Post
Most of the people who have negative things to say about the iPhone have never owned one. That's where the problem lies.
or they downgraded to an iphone.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #40
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
i take it aesthetics mean way more then functionality.
Closed Thread