Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Dragondima

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: At&T
Question Blackberry Apps Vs IPhone Apps !!!! Discussion

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so i apologize but this is my complaint/question. My girlfriend bought me a iPod Touch for my birthday. I used it for about two weeks and returned it because i was getting ready to buy the Bold. I had a 8120, and had the itouch, which made sense because the iTouch was basically the iPhone without the phone. I love Blackberry's so very much, but to be able to utilize their full potential you have to BUY apps! This is where my struggle comes in. Ok, yes for a lot of apps on the itouch/iPhone you have to pay $.99 or $1.99, but compared to Blackberry that's dirt cheap. A lot of the applications are free!!!! That's right free!!! Where as the apps that come out for the BB that are free typically suck! This is a huge dilemma in my mind for people considering either Blackberry or iPhone. As a college student i can fairly say that it's uncomfterable and hardly affordable to buy a phone, and then spend an addition $200.00 in apps to take the full potential out of it. Just my complaint, and i'd really like to hear from others about this topic. Please let me know what you think. Am i wrong? Do you agree? Add something?

Thanks all,

-David
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
ckmoose

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I agree...It is very frustrating to see all the apps that are free for the iPhone and how good they are, most for free. I really wish that people would start writing apps for the Blackberry especially the storm. I am really frustrated at the lack of content for the 9530 myself. The most frustrating thing is how long the Blackberry has been out in comparison.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondima View Post
Ok, so i apologize but this is my complaint/question. My girlfriend bought me a iPod Touch for my birthday. I used it for about two weeks and returned it because i was getting ready to buy the Bold. I had a 8120, and had the itouch, which made sense because the iTouch was basically the iPhone without the phone. I love Blackberry's so very much, but to be able to utilize their full potential you have to BUY apps! This is where my struggle comes in. Ok, yes for a lot of apps on the itouch/iPhone you have to pay $.99 or $1.99, but compared to Blackberry that's dirt cheap. A lot of the applications are free!!!! That's right free!!! Where as the apps that come out for the BB that are free typically suck! This is a huge dilemma in my mind for people considering either Blackberry or iPhone. As a college student i can fairly say that it's uncomfterable and hardly affordable to buy a phone, and then spend an addition $200.00 in apps to take the full potential out of it. Just my complaint, and i'd really like to hear from others about this topic. Please let me know what you think. Am i wrong? Do you agree? Add something?

Thanks all,

-David
my blackberry does absolutely everything i want it to do, and i haven't spent one cent on any of the apps i have. i challenge you to find me a practical iphone application that doesn't exist to some extent on the blackberry. also, who's spending $200 on apps?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
carlkra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

One of the main problems is the limitations of the Blackberry OS requirement that apps have to live in system memory even when they are not running. A 16GB iPhone can have tons of large apps all loaded into the 16 GB. A Blackberry Bold with an 8GB memory card and 1GB of device flash memory still has to have all of its apps loaded into the 128 MB of system RAM of which less than 50 MB is free on most Bolds.

That puts a severe limitation on developers to keep apps lean and a tight limit on how many apps you can have. It is probably much more difficult and expensive to develop apps under such constraints. I don't understand why RIM can't add a capability to load apps into memory from flash when executed and release the memory when exited. Even if that capability was limited to the system flash which can be depended upon to stay in the device (unlike cards) that would still be a great improvement.

I hear that RIM is building an "App Store" like Apple's but the memory limit will greatly limit the app market compared to Apple.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
fiestito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ice

carlkra you're right, the way the apps run on the system memory of the blackberry is the main problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
PaulMdx

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

I'm with jrice8002003; my BB does everything I want. I also haven't had any probs running out of memory. <shrug>

Seriously guys, iBeer isn't a must-have app.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default How many?

I don't think I've paid for any of my Blackberry apps. Almost every major iPhone app is already on Blackberry or will come to the Blackberry. iPhone does not have any exclusive agreements in place. Considering how mobility is rapidly growing why would any developer limit the audience to use their app.

How many apps do you need on a mobile device? My storm has the following and I don't know how many more I would truely use:

Facebook
AOL AIM
Youtube
Worldmate Live
Beyond411
Nobex Radio Companion
Xberry Live!
SitorSquat
TeleNav
Documents to Go Premiem
Viigo

Most Blackberry apps are very small in nature so you could fit a bunch of apps and only use 100mb space.

A HUGE advantage Blackberry has over iPhone is that you can run multiple applications at once. I usually have Facebook, AOL running and I'm doing email. iPhone it's open this app, close, open another app - opps have to go back and see if I got a email reply. Very cumbersome and a whole lot of swiping. The weeks I dedicated to using the iPhone to test it for Exchange functionality I likely had the strongest fingers. It was like finger olympics!

I will admit Blackberry will never likely have the amount of apps the AppStore has. But I look through it and most is truely throw away fun stuff. I'm not interested in gaming on my Blackberry - I have a xbox360, Wii and DS to meet those needs. And frankly I don't even use my iPhone or Storm for media playback. I still have a free Zune from a Microsoft conference and it's loaded with 30gb of music. I guess in a "I wish I could consolidate all my devices" vision I would use one device for all things but I'm fine with how I utilize the technologies I have already.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

It's going to be expensive it you try to turn the Blackberry into something it was not designed for. It's a professional-grade communications device and PIM. If you want lots of wow-ee bells and whistles, get an iPhone. If you want a multimedia device or a gaming device, get a PSP. You can personalize your BB for almost nothing, but turning it into something it's not is going to cost, and it will never function like a device that was designed for it's main purpose anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
jrice8002003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I don't think I've paid for any of my Blackberry apps. Almost every major iPhone app is already on Blackberry or will come to the Blackberry. iPhone does not have any exclusive agreements in place. Considering how mobility is rapidly growing why would any developer limit the audience to use their app.

How many apps do you need on a mobile device? My storm has the following and I don't know how many more I would truely use:

Facebook
AOL AIM
Youtube
Worldmate Live
Beyond411
Nobex Radio Companion
Xberry Live!
SitorSquat
TeleNav
Documents to Go Premiem
Viigo

Most Blackberry apps are very small in nature so you could fit a bunch of apps and only use 100mb space.

A HUGE advantage Blackberry has over iPhone is that you can run multiple applications at once. I usually have Facebook, AOL running and I'm doing email. iPhone it's open this app, close, open another app - opps have to go back and see if I got a email reply. Very cumbersome and a whole lot of swiping. The weeks I dedicated to using the iPhone to test it for Exchange functionality I likely had the strongest fingers. It was like finger olympics!

I will admit Blackberry will never likely have the amount of apps the AppStore has. But I look through it and most is truely throw away fun stuff. I'm not interested in gaming on my Blackberry - I have a xbox360, Wii and DS to meet those needs. And frankly I don't even use my iPhone or Storm for media playback. I still have a free Zune from a Microsoft conference and it's loaded with 30gb of music. I guess in a "I wish I could consolidate all my devices" vision I would use one device for all things but I'm fine with how I utilize the technologies I have already.
another few apps i'd like to add to this list for our "on the fence" blackberry friend above would be:

WeatherEye
Opera Mini
ESPN
YouMail
Slacker
Slydial
YouVersion bible
eBuddy
Capture It
gCalc!
Chronograph
BBtran
MicroSky

there's also several free games out there to scratch your gaming itch. i've got 22 on my phone and didn't pay a dime. and none of them are ad-supported...i don't keep that crap on my phone. they're all pretty good games.

there's also an app called BerryStore that seems to be a step in the right direction toward grouping a number of apps together in one simple, convenient location. hopefully the developer of this app expands it, or RIM comes up with something of their own
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
thingu

Model: curve
Carrier: telus
Red face help ps i am a new member and am trying to post an ad for a blackberry that i want to

hi i am so sorry for intruding in your space but i am desperate. i am new to this and cant seem to be able to put up a post like you did. can you help me please.thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondima View Post
Ok, so i apologize but this is my
complaint/question. My girlfriend bought me a iPod Touch for my birthday. I used it for about two weeks and returned it because i was getting ready to buy the Bold. I had a 8120, and had the itouch, which made sense because the iTouch was basically the iPhone without the phone. I love Blackberry's so very much, but to be able to utilize their full potential you have to BUY apps! This is where my struggle comes in. Ok, yes for a lot of apps on the itouch/iPhone you have to pay $.99 or $1.99, but compared to Blackberry that's dirt cheap. A lot of the applications are free!!!! That's right free!!! Where as the apps that come out for the BB that are free typically suck! This is a huge dilemma in my mind for people considering either Blackberry or iPhone. As a college student i can fairly say that it's uncomfterable and hardly affordable to buy a phone, and then spend an addition $200.00 in apps to take the full potential out of it. Just my complaint, and i'd really like to hear from others about this topic. Please let me know what you think. Am i wrong? Do you agree? Add something?

Thanks all,

-David
Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
jrice8002003

click "new thread" at the top of the forum you want to post in
Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkra View Post
One of the main problems is the limitations of the Blackberry OS requirement that apps have to live in system memory even when they are not running. A 16GB iPhone can have tons of large apps all loaded into the 16 GB. A Blackberry Bold with an 8GB memory card and 1GB of device flash memory still has to have all of its apps loaded into the 128 MB of system RAM of which less than 50 MB is free on most Bolds.
That is the answer. And also the hurdle that any RIM app store will have to overcome.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Dragondima

Carrier: At&T

Yea the fact that there is a limitation on data is definitely something that would cause problems for developers, but my Bold has 1 gb of onboard memory. Which is definitely a step in to the right direction. I was doing some looking around online and funny thing is that RIM is in development of creating a BerryStore. Please check it out, it's at BerryStore.com it's in Beta but I'm trying it out and liking it. It definitely needs a lot of work, but the concept is getting there. Thank you all for responding, but i think theres still more to talk about. The Blackberry is definitely a phone more designed for people in the business world, or in a professional environment. What i'm talking about is more for the youthful appeal of phones. These phones are incredible I love my Blackberry!!!! I'm a Computer Engineer (Drexel University) and every day become more and more impressed with these devices.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Godzilla07
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: Nein
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

All I want from the iPhone is Shazam, EverNote and Wordpress. Pandora would be nice because I don't like Slacker as much but Slacker is okay.

The iPhone is very limited by Apple's limitations. Jailbreaking frees up the iPhone. Listening to Pandora while browsing in Safari with Fring also open is great. But even with jailbreaking there are still some limitations such as e-mail and copy and paste.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

a it was already stated, all the important apps are already on the berry. all the ones they show in commercials are pretty much dumb apps that serve no extreme purpose. the berry is a business-oriented phone. so it has everything ull need functionality wise. the iphone apps are just "for fun" type of things
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You know, it's like shopping for anything -- do your homework before you buy. If apps (especially free apps) are a top priority then focus on platforms with larger selections of apps. It's not like the selection of apps on the BB is a secret or anything.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
You know, it's like shopping for anything -- do your homework before you buy. If apps (especially free apps) are a top priority then focus on platforms with larger selections of apps. It's not like the selection of apps on the BB is a secret or anything. http://forums.s2kca.com/images/smilies/rolleye2.gif
Spot on! One of my pet peeves, besides whiny biatches trying to get data plan features without a data plan, is this incessant desire of clueless owners trying to "iPhone-ize" their Blackberrys. Hell, if you want all the features of an iPhone, get a freakin' iPhone! Blackberrys aren't designed for everybody. That's what makes them so good for the people for whom they are designed. It's a purpose-driven device. It's not a sin to use an iPhone, or a Nokia, or something else, if it better suits your own needs. Get the mobile that best fits your lifestyle. If that's not a Blackberry, that's OK. Really, it is!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post

Facebook
AOL AIM
Youtube
Worldmate Live
Beyond411
Nobex Radio Companion
Xberry Live!
SitorSquat
TeleNav
Documents to Go Premiem
Viigo

I'm sorry, but I had to pick out two of the applications you named because I've used both on the BB Bold and the iphone. Both BB versions of these applications are vastly inferior to what the iphone version does. The BB Facebook App is probably the most useless thing I have ever used. Take a look at the iphone version and you will have to agree.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 02-02-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
It's going to be expensive it you try to turn the Blackberry into something it was not designed for. It's a professional-grade communications device and PIM. If you want lots of wow-ee bells and whistles, get an iPhone. If you want a multimedia device or a gaming device, get a PSP. You can personalize your BB for almost nothing, but turning it into something it's not is going to cost, and it will never function like a device that was designed for it's main purpose anyway.
Unfortunately, that "wow ee bells and whistles" is the market RIM wants. Thats where the money is. Consumers outnumber "suits" and replace their devices more frequently then corporate land does. Consumers are also more likely to buy more apps while business users will only get the few that they need.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
That is the answer. And also the hurdle that any RIM app store will have to overcome.
Not with the current OS. Its at its limits. RIM will have to evolve or end up like Palm.
Closed Thread