Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #41
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vventimiglia View Post
I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner.

can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?
My first blackberry was 950, pager-like device. Perhaps, I have more experience with blackberries than you do. Perhaps, it makes me harder to switch from something that just works for me to something else.

Personally, I don't hate iphone. I just ignore it. It does not bring me anything I can switch for.

I am glad you have found happiness in Jesus phone. One less unhappy or not so happy blackberry user - good for all of us.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #42
mullrat1

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by netPOSER View Post
RIM is a "one trick pony"? Is that supposed to be bad?

And you can't compare RIM's first device to Apple's first device considering Apple introduce their first phone in 2007...way after the cell phone market matured. And Apple still didn't get it right. They forgot copy/paste, MMS, and a few other "standard/proven" features on most basic phones.

RIM came in and did email waaaaaaay before anyone else and didn't have a name like "Apple" (other than the fruit reference). Blackberry was built on performance and reliability not fancy marketing and coolness. Blackberry filled a void in the market whereas Apple is selling to mostly non-smartphone users.

Really, how many iPhone buyers are previous smartphone users?
Not too many. I would say that most iPhone users came from a regular cellphone. They are usually not looking for smart phone features in it. Basically most of them want an ipod phone that can play games and the like. The point in my post is that RIM's first device was not revolutionary compared to the competition at that point in time, which I made clear on my post. The iPhone is quite revolutionary comparing it to other phones in the market again at this point in time. RIM's email prowess has been copied (not very well) and I anticipate that the iPhone will also be copied ad nauseum over the next few months and years.

By the way, apple doesn't forget anything. They restrict. They're restricting copy/paste MMS and A2P because they are arrogant. They believe people will continue to buy their products and upgrade them as new features are released. For every apple product that I have, I feel almost like I'm borrowing it from Steve Jobs. I don't truly own it because of its many restrictions.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

mullrat, kind of like how RIM puts out the same phone in 5 version because they do not want to release the full model till the end of the product's life cycle? I don't think it arrogance at all, it's called a business model.

their putting copy & paste i think is coming straight from the top, I think Jobs has not liked what he has been shown on the ways to implement it, but it will be included.
And it will be included free of charge without making anyone buy a new device.

People buy apple products for all the same reasons they buy anything else, its different for everyone. Apple puts those restrictions on their products because they feel that they want to control every aspect of the user experience. This works very well in their OS and reasonably well in the computers. They found that it did not work as well in the Phone so they made an adjustment with the apps, or atleast made it look like that.

Thats just my take on it. Business is Business and every company follows their model for success.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #44
Insurgent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: N/A

I think the people that want Blackberry's want them for different reasons than iPhones. Thats the nature of comparing the devices. The BlackBerry itself is a PDA/Phone hybrid with an emphasis on communication OTHER THAN voice. The iPhone is a phone/iPod with a computer-based OS and full Web 2.0 web browser, that like comparing apples and pears here.

To comment on what BlackBerrys can do that iPhones can't, there are so many seen as BlackBerrys aren't necessary just phones so they can do what a lot of phones cannot do, for example: Pin-to-Pin messaging. Apparently the Exchange features of the iPhone do not work as efficiently as on the BlackBerry devices, which isn't a surprise.

I know people with the iPhone that constantly tout how great the iPhone is, I'ved used the old one and when I'm ready, I'll have a spin on the 3G model but for me I'm not won over by touch screens and fancy looking OS. I'm more about functionality and abundance of features and connectivity. Also I like my devices to be customisable and more computer-like. For example, I want to be able to change my theme, remove my battery, browse my microSD card just like a removable disk, edit the documents on there and then email them. I like to be able to just type up a quick document on the move and set reminders for myself throughout the day and I'm not even a corporate user of a BlackBerry, in fact I've never owned one before. I've just noticed the things I want from a mobile device seem to be covered by the BlackBerry and covered pretty well at that.

The iPhone does many of these things but is more flashy, fancy and less open ended. It seems more for the fashion happy consumer who wants to "move with the times" than the genuine technology enthusiast (that actually uses the device than simply marvelling at the touch and swipe capabilities). Its the difference between purchasing a Mac and a PC to me, I don't want to copy my entire iTunes library (if I had one) to my phone to listen to a few songs. I want to be able to move a song across, then maybe bluetooth it to a laptop and/or receive another file and just add it to my list of songs as I go along, at ease. These things aren't possible on the iPhone, its just much too closed a device for me.

Last edited by Insurgent; 08-01-2008 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: S/P & Grammer Corrections
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #45
Bru433
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Lots
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
I think the iPhone email experience is by far better....You don't have your PCs and Macs using a NOC to send email.
Somebody get this guy a message flow chart. I guess I could draw one up for you using pretty colors with sparkles and ribbons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
As for security, I don't buy that the BB is so much better. The reality is simple. The iPhone works much the same way your corporate PC does in terms of email. The iPhone does not lower the overall security of your company. That's just grasping at straws in my opinion.
Also, try reading this :
http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry..._version_4.pdf

If one does not feel so inclined to do so, I'll give the points of interest:
S/MIME, PGP, AES, 3DES, Smart Cards, IT Policies (400+), SRP authentications and (my favourite) memory scrubbing!
Now I'm no rocket surgeon but i *think* those might say a few things about security? I could throw out a dozen or so more links but whats the point.

Ignorance really gets me...why post on a BlackBerry enthusiast forum and make claims, regardless of opinion, without at least knowing what you're talking about?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #46
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru433 View Post
Somebody get this guy a message flow chart. I guess I could draw one up for you using pretty colors with sparkles and ribbons...

Also, try reading this :
http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry..._version_4.pdf

If one does not feel so inclined to do so, I'll give the points of interest:
S/MIME, PGP, AES, 3DES, Smart Cards, IT Policies (400+), SRP authentications and (my favourite) memory scrubbing!
Now I'm no rocket surgeon but i *think* those might say a few things about security? I could throw out a dozen or so more links but whats the point.

Ignorance really gets me...why post on a BlackBerry enthusiast forum and make claims, regardless of opinion, without at least knowing what you're talking about?
What exactly are you disputing? If I have exchange server and a PC client, the PC client is not getting email through a NOC. Your blackberry is, not your PC. My point is, because your PC and iPhone use the same method, it is no more or less secure. If you think that is not accurate, you're sadly mistaken. Your PC is going directly to your email server. If there is ignorance here, it is yours.

Alex
Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #47
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Cool it or this thread gets closed PRONTO.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #48
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Cool it or this thread gets closed PRONTO.
Oh pardon me. I didn't think I came off as hostile at all. Sorry I am making sense. Close away. Wouldn't want the iPhone guy to make sense now would we?

Alex
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #49
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I was referring to both of you; don't take things so personally.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #50
test54
BlackBerry Master

"No longer Registered."

did u boot him or did he leave?
to boot would seem pretty harsh imo.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #51
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

He cursed me out in two PMs and asked to be banned.
It was silly and ridiculous. So he is no longer registered.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #52
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wow! I didn't know these discussions could become so heated. Maybe there is an application in the Apple app store for him for stress relief...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #53
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

iStress?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #54
kboyer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 302CAE06

Quote:
I just can't imagine getting so heated over something so stupid. Life is too short. Some folks need to learn how to not sweat the small stuff. Moving on!

I was in the local Apple store in the mall today. I had an appointment to have a Touch replaced. It was so busy that they had a "Genius" at the door counting heads. He was only letting in people as others left so they wouldn't break fire code.

On a side note, semi related to 3G phones, I've now owned 3 iPod Touches in the last 7 months -- each has broken down or died. The latest one's Wi-Fi just stopped working suddenly. I've got to give it to Apple -- part of why they are successful is that their in-store customer service rocks. Their shit breaks down a lot, but they replace it without a hassle and the warranty clock starts all over again with the replacement.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #55
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

iBroke?

I've never had an iPod or iTouch break. We now have 11 iThings, including the iPhone 3G, and never had to return one. Good to know the warranty policy is good. Especially with that battery
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #56
test54
BlackBerry Master

NJ, i understand then that he needed to go.

I've had 3 computers, 2 ipods and the original iphone and none have had any issues but i have heard the same thing about their in-store cs, its mainly very good.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #57
nyte3k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile
Thumbs up

I have an iphone 3G, which is an awesome device. And I also have a Curve, which i love as well. I prefer to use the BlackBerry, but both devices are great. One reason i like the Curve a little more is because i'm not really a touchscreen type of person. It's cool and everything and helps when it comes to some functionality, but overall, i prefer non-touch. (especially with typing).

Another thing I prefer about the BlackBerry (or maybe all non-iPhones) is from a development standpoint, i don't feel locked in. I don't like the control Apple has over the SDK, such as the AppStore being the ONLY way to distribute your appllication, no trial, apple having to approve your application, among other things.

Overall, both phones are great, with the iPhone leaning more towards the consumer end, and Blackberry leaning more towards the corporate end.

It will be interesting to see how this plays in the coming months... it appears RIM is trekking on Apple's turf more, than apple getting into RIM's territory, with devices such as Javelin, Thunder, and KickStart which would obviously appeal more towards consumers.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #58
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
This is unfortunate, I always enjoyed reading his debates on the iPhone vs BlackBerry, he seemed to be slightly biased for the iPhone, but for the most part he was pretty fair from the previous threads I've read. To get that upset doesn't make sense to me. Ohh well, the show must go on.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #59
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

The current iPhone reminds me of the early Java based BlackBerrys. It's incomplete. Things aren't always where you would expect them. The 5810 didn't have a user serviceable battery and had TERRIBLE battery life. Many of the iPhone issues (my word) can be fixed via software updates.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #60
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vventimiglia View Post
I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner. I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site and being a previous owner of one and now the owner of a Iphone 3g I wanted to confront those who love to " hate " on the Iphone. I ask you people this.... What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Lets go down the list. Iphone goes up to 16gigs of available memory when you cant even expand the memory using a micro sd card on the blackberry to that big. So right there the iphone destroys the blackberry in available space to use for mp3's or photo's ect.

Moving on to size and design. First thing everyone who has a blackberry is going to say is the iphone is fragile. Yes ill be the first to say it is more fragile then a blackberry so if your looking to beat the hell out of your phone and not have a case for it then no its not the phone for you. But i see most blackberry users treat there phones as if there godly so i see no reason why it being a bit more fragile would be a problem. If anyone trys to say the iphone is not better looking then any blackberry even the bold ( who copied some of its design from the iphone ) has to be in pure denial. Blackberry has kept the same crude boxy design and change the colors and curves slightly with each phone but essentially keeping the boring ugly brick format. there latest innovation in years was moving from a track wheel to a track ball.

The internet. This is where the iphone single handedly blows the doors off any blackberry. First off the screen on the blackberry is so tiny and the graphics look like atari compared to the iphone. the webpages are modified and i dont care if its 3g or not ( which still isnt out yet for blackberry ) it will not look nor load the same speed as a iphone which is built for internet use. web pages come up fluidly and fast and identical to a pc rather then the 2 and half minute wait to get a shambled version of a webpage on a blackberry.

Next is all the affordable and extremely usable 3rd party and apple apps. you can download them right from your phone anywhere and for usually a reasonable price. unlike blackberry who requires u to hook up a cable to ur pc to download a 20 dollar alarm clock program

so what is the last hoorah for the blackberry. CORPORATE EMAIL. most people sign themselves up for it in the company to seem important barely using it but lets discuss this as if you really did need it and use it. Iphone now supports corporate email however not all companies are on to it yet so it may not be available. but once it catches on n it will, what happens to blackberries sole purpose? does the corporate email make the blackberry so great when it gets blown out on every single other option and feature? can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?
Well, th BB has removeable batteries and the Iphone has a tiny keyboard.
Closed Thread