Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Companies already "except it", i.e., the iPhone is the exception in most corporate environments.

Is that what you meant?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen... Nostradamus has been reborn and has visited our fine forum.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

iphone keyboard sucks unless you are 10 years old. Internet is faster to non-compressed data and admit. I do like touch screen.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
pnd4pnd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

lets talk simple things you do every day....

1. switch email boxes - how many steps does it take you to do that? FIVE. utterly ridiculous and unusable. going back and forth? forget it
2. search for a contact? - the only search window is at the top of contacts list. woops, due to the crappy keyboard every time i try to hit the magnifying glass icon i hit add contact! why isn't there just a window at the top for contact search?
3. search your email? search for a specific sender? sorry, out of luck.

simple things to fix but apple isn't paying attention to detail.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default See attached comparison chart

See attached comparison chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bold v Iphone.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	12495  
Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

Here we go again. An iphone fanboy trying to rant on blackberries again.

Here's some points I'd like to make:
1) Many of the blackberry turned iphone users have come back to blackberry...why is that you think?
2) Is iphone ever going to change the way it looks? With its touchscreen feature, I just can't see the iphone looking any different years to come. Whats next? Pink iphone? clear iphone? Titanium iphone? Iphone with a 5" screen? At least there are a variety of models with blackberries and more to come.
3) Email - You can subscribe up to 10 emails which all come into one box on your blackberry. Does iphone have that?
4) Iphone can't voice dial, doesn't have A2DP, no replaceable battery, and no modem option.
5) Blackberry Messenger - blackberry has its own messenging software in which you can chat with people all over the world with blackberries.
6) Your stuck to ATT service and expensive contracts with the iphone.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
eykhong
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21C27C4C
Carrier: Rogers

While I admit that the iPhone is very "cool" device, it is not much more. The Apple marketing machine has done an excellent job at appealing to the masses, but for someone who wants a phone with email and a well integrated organizer, a Blackberry is hard to beat. I've outgrown the "look at me and my cool expensive new toy" phase. It wasn't long ago similar arguments were being made between the Blackberry and Palm Treo, and we all know who won that one.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #28
Viconi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: uuhhhhh

I bought my wife the new iPhone 3g, it is a great device, fantastic actually not other phone can do what it can do. What I mean by that is how it makes you feel when your using it, its fun and sorta magic. That being said the magic gets real old after serious usage. Battery life is much less than any berry I have everused.

Blackberrys get business done faster, the OS continues to improve. Email is still the blackberry's specialty. (Changing email boxes is horrible on the iPhone) Still no real push for the iPhone but greatly improved from the first OS.

But dude why are you coming here, I highly doubt you had your curve for more than 6 months and if you did you may need a phone with an easier OS and some status to boost your self esteem.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #29
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I'm sure the iPhone is great for those people who like the features it has. Just like a BlackBerry is great for people who like the features it has. Two totally different devices.

Kinda like why one person will buy a car and one will buy a truck. They both get you from point A to point B, but the 'ride' is different for both.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I really like about a BlackBerry, that I haven't seen on other devices are the features that help you type - AutoText, holding a letter to capitalize it, pressing space twice for a period, etc. I couldn't switch to another device that didn't have at least those features.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #30
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

I'm a current iPhone 3G user who is planning on switching back to the Bold. I think my biggest problem with the iPhone and why I'm switching back is that while it's a great device, it just isn't finished yet. I'm tired of wondering if Apple will make something like copy/paste a priority. The lack of background processes means no real IM until they set up their PUSH system in September. I have no idea how or how well this will work for notification programs, but I have my doubts considering how terrible MobileMe has been implimented to start.

The App Store has actually been something of a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Way too much crap to wade through to get to the few gems in there, and the gems themselves aren't that fantastic. Again, the lack of background processes running means To Do programs can't remind you when something is due, thus limiting their effectiveness. The games I don't care about at all.

This is not to crap all over the device. It is a fantastic device. THe possibilities are limitless and one day it's going to be the best mobile computing platform on the market - I have absolutely no doubt. But it's just not there yet.

So, I'm going to switch back to the Bold for at least the next year (or two.) I miss having real IM clients on my phone, task lists that remind me when a task needs to be done, and a flat out better phone (the 3G is much improved over the first one, but BB's are still better).
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #31
DataCentre

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Drop your iPhone and break the glass.....$250 spent
Drop your BlackBerry and crack the plastic window.....$20 spent
Drop your pants cuz you don't know how to measure your waist size and wear a belt....PRICELESS

Haha
Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #32
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Battery, battery, battery...
No one at Apple uses tasks.
Battery, battery, battery.

And don't tell me "the 3G BlackBerry will have bad battery life also" as I don't have a Bold. Yet.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #33
netPOSER

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Wow, an iPhone fanboi trolling... hmmmm...

How's that mobile.me thing working out for you?
And do you really get "push" email on the iPhone?
How about the White iPhones that are cracking?

And Apple has a long long way to go before it can touch a BB connected to a BES.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #34
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'm sure the iPhone is great for those people who like the features it has. Just like a BlackBerry is great for people who like the features it has. Two totally different devices.

Kinda like why one person will buy a car and one will buy a truck. They both get you from point A to point B, but the 'ride' is different for both.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I really like about a BlackBerry, that I haven't seen on other devices are the features that help you type - AutoText, holding a letter to capitalize it, pressing space twice for a period, etc. I couldn't switch to another device that didn't have at least those features.
Good perspective, different strokes for different folks.

And it does one of the two, it does the space twice for period but if you hold the letter button it opens up the international version of that letter if there is one or it does nothing.

NJ, I hear you about the battery i see that complaint alot. I do think they know that and will continue with updates to go after that one.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #35
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by netPOSER View Post
And BlackBerry gets the title of crackberry

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-30-2008 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #36
mullrat1

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Excuse my noobness but I also have both devices. I've had blackberries for a long time. To me just compare the first generation BB 850 in relation to its competition. Pretty standard two way text pager. Really it was nothing special. Compare that to Apple's first device, again in relation to current competition. As a previous poster put it, it isn't finished yet, but when it is, they have the potential of taking over. You see RIM only has one specialty in its business. Apple as seen in that keynote address has three. And they are focusing heavily on the iPhone and attempting to knock RIM off its perch as #1. In other words they are using the majority of their resources from the other two arms to fund iPhone R&D and sales. RIM is a one trick pony. (smart phones)

For me by far the better device is my curve. I have every feature imaginable on it that I would need. But as the 3rd party stuff on the iPhone has improved, I noticed that my curve's use time has decreased a decent amount.

The only way iPhone will go down is if Apple beats itself.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #37
netPOSER

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

RIM is a "one trick pony"? Is that supposed to be bad?

And you can't compare RIM's first device to Apple's first device considering Apple introduce their first phone in 2007...way after the cell phone market matured. And Apple still didn't get it right. They forgot copy/paste, MMS, and a few other "standard/proven" features on most basic phones.

RIM came in and did email waaaaaaay before anyone else and didn't have a name like "Apple" (other than the fruit reference). Blackberry was built on performance and reliability not fancy marketing and coolness. Blackberry filled a void in the market whereas Apple is selling to mostly non-smartphone users.

Really, how many iPhone buyers are previous smartphone users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullrat1 View Post
Excuse my noobness but I also have both devices. I've had blackberries for a long time. To me just compare the first generation BB 850 in relation to its competition. Pretty standard two way text pager. Really it was nothing special. Compare that to Apple's first device, again in relation to current competition. As a previous poster put it, it isn't finished yet, but when it is, they have the potential of taking over. You see RIM only has one specialty in its business. Apple as seen in that keynote address has three. And they are focusing heavily on the iPhone and attempting to knock RIM off its perch as #1. In other words they are using the majority of their resources from the other two arms to fund iPhone R&D and sales. RIM is a one trick pony. (smart phones)

For me by far the better device is my curve. I have every feature imaginable on it that I would need. But as the 3rd party stuff on the iPhone has improved, I noticed that my curve's use time has decreased a decent amount.

The only way iPhone will go down is if Apple beats itself.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #38
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm considering an iPhone (or Bold). Tell me something: to get email pushed from different POP accounts on the iPhone do you have to have your pc running (tell me no please)? And tell me it just all shows up in messages and that I don't have to look at the different email accounts one at a time. An iPhone will alert you for a scheduled appointment on the screen right? I set my appointments right from the phone, I don't care about it synching from a pc. Can you shut it off at night and get an alarm in the morning? Finally, can you have MSN open/running and get notified when an IM message comes in while you're doing something else? Thanks in advance.........
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #39
dasunst3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I'm considering an iPhone (or Bold). Tell me something: to get email pushed from different POP accounts on the iPhone do you have to have your pc running (tell me no please)? And tell me it just all shows up in messages and that I don't have to look at the different email accounts one at a time. An iPhone will alert you for a scheduled appointment on the screen right? I set my appointments right from the phone, I don't care about it synching from a pc. Can you shut it off at night and get an alarm in the morning? Finally, can you have MSN open/running and get notified when an IM message comes in while you're doing something else? Thanks in advance.........
From my own experience, you do not need to have a PC turned on just to receive messages via your iPhone or a BlackBerry. Now, here are the things that the BlackBerry can do that I don't know if the iPhone can:
  • Show all your messages from all your email accounts under "Messages"
  • Alert you of a scheduled appointment on the screen
  • Set appointments on the device itself without syncing
  • Turn off, then turn back on when an alarm goes off
  • MSN (Windows Live Messenger) can be in the background and will alert you of a message

As a matter of fact, I don't know if the iPhone even supports MSN / Windows Live Messenger.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #40
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

iphone:
Cannot show messages in single folder -- they are seperated into accounts and number of new email is highlighted.
Can Alert you on the screen to appointment.
Can set appointment on the device without syncing.
Cannot as far as I know turn off then awaken for alarm.
IM in the background will be running a little differently but by Sept. Apple has promised to have this function working. So no for now but coming.
Apple has 3rd party apps for IM as of now and MSN is included as well as all the others on those apps.