Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
vventimiglia

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Iphone 3g Vs Blackberry Anything

Please Login to Remove!

I am writing this thread as a previous Blackberry Curve, and pearl owner. I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site and being a previous owner of one and now the owner of a Iphone 3g I wanted to confront those who love to " hate " on the Iphone. I ask you people this.... What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?

Lets go down the list. Iphone goes up to 16gigs of available memory when you cant even expand the memory using a micro sd card on the blackberry to that big. So right there the iphone destroys the blackberry in available space to use for mp3's or photo's ect.

Moving on to size and design. First thing everyone who has a blackberry is going to say is the iphone is fragile. Yes ill be the first to say it is more fragile then a blackberry so if your looking to beat the hell out of your phone and not have a case for it then no its not the phone for you. But i see most blackberry users treat there phones as if there godly so i see no reason why it being a bit more fragile would be a problem. If anyone trys to say the iphone is not better looking then any blackberry even the bold ( who copied some of its design from the iphone ) has to be in pure denial. Blackberry has kept the same crude boxy design and change the colors and curves slightly with each phone but essentially keeping the boring ugly brick format. there latest innovation in years was moving from a track wheel to a track ball.

The internet. This is where the iphone single handedly blows the doors off any blackberry. First off the screen on the blackberry is so tiny and the graphics look like atari compared to the iphone. the webpages are modified and i dont care if its 3g or not ( which still isnt out yet for blackberry ) it will not look nor load the same speed as a iphone which is built for internet use. web pages come up fluidly and fast and identical to a pc rather then the 2 and half minute wait to get a shambled version of a webpage on a blackberry.

Next is all the affordable and extremely usable 3rd party and apple apps. you can download them right from your phone anywhere and for usually a reasonable price. unlike blackberry who requires u to hook up a cable to ur pc to download a 20 dollar alarm clock program

so what is the last hoorah for the blackberry. CORPORATE EMAIL. most people sign themselves up for it in the company to seem important barely using it but lets discuss this as if you really did need it and use it. Iphone now supports corporate email however not all companies are on to it yet so it may not be available. but once it catches on n it will, what happens to blackberries sole purpose? does the corporate email make the blackberry so great when it gets blown out on every single other option and feature? can someone please justify how they hate on the iphone and think the blackberry is so much better?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by vventimiglia View Post
What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?
Copy and paste?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
vventimiglia

so blackberry is better phone because of cut and paste, that would make you buy it over the countless other better features of a iphone? just curious, also the cut and paste feature is supposed to be added in the 2.01 update for the iphone.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I was just answering your question. There is also a tiny thing called security, the BlackBerry is far superior than the iPhone in that department. That feature I would believe is a BIG decision factor for many.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
What on earth does ANY blackberry do that the iPhone doesnt do already or do 10x better?
Voice-activated dialing, video recording, A2DP stereo Bluetooth, MMS messaging, copy and paste, and I can replace the battery if there is a problem. Those are some of the things that the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone cannot. Just answering the question.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Voice-activated dialing, video recording, A2DP stereo Bluetooth, MMS messaging, copy and paste, and I can replace the battery if there is a problem. Those are some of the things that the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone cannot. Just answering the question.
Good list, I would just add....running more than 1 application at a time.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

And you can install BlackBerry applications over the air. It doesn't always require you to install via USB.

The iPhone is an amazing device, and I believe the BlackBerry is too. It is great that users can choose which one they want. The iPhone excels at things, as does the BlackBerry. I am actually thinking about getting an iPod Touch at some point because I saw my brothers and think it is great.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpheous View Post
Good list, I would just add....running more than 1 application at a time.
Very true! I forgot about that one.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I noticed there are blackberry die hards all over this site
How odd is it that you would come to a BlackBerry forums website and find BlackBerry diehards?

Would you expect throngs of Chevy enthusiasts at a Ford roundup?
Would you find hordes of coffee aficionados en masse at a Barbecue cook-off?
Would you look for the high dive swimming team at a snow ski resort?

So why do you visit "www.BlackBerryForums.com" and appear surprised to find WHOA!, BlackBerry enthusiasts!

If you are here to have an intelligent, passionate AND civil debate of the features--great. There are many iPhone users here, but don't be surprised should you get flamed if your enthusiasm for the iPhone gets a bit too defensive.

Afterall, this is not the iPhone fanboy site. It is a BlackBerry enthusiast forum.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

JSanders, I like how you use fanboy vs. enthusiast there. I think you will find both fans and fanboys of both on here.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yes, we do have both. It was not intentional.

We do have fanboys and enthusiasts of both products here.

I just don't know what the OP hopes to gain.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I know it was just funny thats all.
I think he just wants to stir things up, nothing new imo.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
sjohns2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I have both the 8820 and the iPhone 3G and I've got to agree with curriertech that the Blackberry, for what it does, it does it very well. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the iPhone, but the features that it does have it really performs them well. Simple things like text messaging, note taking, being able to type notes and browse through applications is MUCH MUCH easier on a Blackberry and if you don't agree with that, you've never compared the two.
Bottom line is that the iPhone is a very good multimedia phone where Apple has placed an emphasis on fun, but the Blackberry is for professionals in the business world that needs to be productive and at the same time have a little fun with the multimedia advances of the newer Blackberry's.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
dasunst3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

My killer feature = UMA / HotSpot @ Home, but what else do I like about my BlackBerry?
  • I'm not a developer, but collaboration helps when writing a program: (iPhone NDA: Doing more harm than good)
  • I like not having to pay for every, little feature I want to take advantage of. Sure, I paid $ 450 up-front, but I am convinced that I got a lot of bang out of my buck even though I've only had it for two weeks (see my blog -- link is in my signature).
  • This may be a moot point, but when I had my Windows Mobile phone, a touch screen was so unwieldy that I told myself, "Touch screen... never again."

Also, to address your points about downloading programs, there are actually freeware for the BlackBerry. As a matter of fact, I downloaded them all directly from the Internet (we call this OTA -- Over The Air). One more thing: Please do not make duplicate posts -- it is very rude.

Last edited by dasunst3r; 07-29-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
kboyer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 302CAE06

An obvious troll.

But the reason I went with a BB last week over the new iPhone is that the BB is better suited for business use. One fingered touchscreen typing is slow, awkward, and inefficient.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
vventimiglia

one fingered touchscreen typing is slow if you dont use it and get use to it. eventually you dont use 1 finger and you type as if you would on a physical keyboard, i have the iphone 2 weeks and im about 85 percent as fast as i was on a physical keyboard. change is inevitable dont fear it because more chance then not blackberry will eventually catch up and have touchscreen.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
dasunst3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyer View Post
An obvious troll.
Agreed, judging from this person's only three posts. Here are some more nice features:
  • My MicroSD card shows up as a standard mass storage device. That means I can put files on my BB without being locked to one program.
  • Voice dialing: It is REAL, honest-to-God voice recognition and text-to-speech!
Just so you know, RIM is coming out with a touchscreen device, called the Thunder. Change is inevitable, but some folks still want their buttons / tactile feedback.

Last edited by dasunst3r; 07-29-2008 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

I really have to question the whole corporate email thing where many say the BlackBerry shines. I very often get an email in which someone is calling my attention to many areas with highlights or different colors. They will add notes for example and put them in red or highlight. The reality that iPhone email is pretty much the same as desktop email is a world of difference for me. BlackBerry is adding some of this, but it's just not the same. I don't agree about email being better on the BB at all anymore. I think the iPhone email experience is by far better.

I also feel the same way about the web. I never used the web on my BB. Or when I did, it was a rare thing. But now I use it all the time. And not just for browsing as you might thing. I use it for web-based applications. Some of which work quite well. I have one subscription to MintFly which is $35 a year use of a connector app that taps into SalesForce.

A while back I said it would be about the applications. I said developers would flock to the iPhone and gain a tremendous amount of their business from the iPhone. Here is a clip from an article that appears in MacWorld which mentions the success one developer is having compared to what he had before the iPhone.

Quote:
For example, Pandora Media began offering its Internet radio application for most other mobile platforms, through carriers, about 18 months ago, Pandora CTO Tom Conrad said. That resulted in about 12,000 paid monthly subscriptions to the service, he said.

xxx8220;In six days, we had 350,000 installs on the iPhone,xxx8221; Conrad said. A key factor was that the App Store let the company give away its client and support its service through ads. On other devices, Pandora has had to use carriersxxx8217; monthly subscription model, he said.

Nearly 1 million Facebook users have downloaded the social-networking companyxxx8217;s application to their iPhones, according to Jed Stremel, director of mobile at Facebook. And Loopt, a location-based social-networking startup, reached 100,000 iPhone downloads only about a week after the App Store opened. The average iPhone user also is 47 times as active on Loopt as those on other types of phones, said Loopt cofounder and CEO Sam Altman.

xxx8220;You can make such a beautiful app, and itxxx8217;s so nice to use, so quickly, on the iPhone,xxx8221; Altman said.
The issue raised of running multiple apps is mostly solved in my opinion. The only real app I can see needing such functionality is IM software, or software where an alert is needed as you do other things. Apple's que forward technology solves this problem. It should also be noted that Apple's phone can and does run multiple apps at once. I can listen to my music or audio book while typing up an email. And if a call comes in, I will get the call. And the 3G version of the iPhone works much like a WiFi phone does in that using data doesn't shut the phone down from receiving a call. Likewise I can be on a call, and still type up an email, do a google search, or otherwise lookup and send information. It truly is like having a tiny computer with you. It's so much more useful to me than my BB was.

I'm also very happy to report that I found a replacement for my favorite BB app, which is ToDoMatrix. The app I now use is OmniFocus. I've been using this for a solid few months as a desktop app. And I have been using it as an iPhone app since the 3G released. Unlike ToDoMatrix, there is a desktop version of the software. And it does have sync but doesn't require a subscription for the sync. I can use my iDisc, or Webdav, or just plain ol email to push updates. OmniFocus is cheaper, by about 1/3rd the price. And because there is no subscription, it is even less. It's also a far more sophisticated application. I think this drives at what the OP is saying. What I have on the iPhone is so much better.

As for security, I don't buy that the BB is so much better. The reality is simple. The iPhone works much the same way your corporate PC does in terms of email. You don't have your PCs and Macs using a NOC to send email. The iPhone does not lower the overall security of your company. That's just grasping at straws in my opinion.

Alex Alexzander
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
because more chance then not blackberry will eventually catch up and have touchscreen.
Ladies and Gentlemen... Nostradamus has been reborn and has visited our fine forum.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
vventimiglia

exactly iphone is going the way of corporate email just a matter of time until companies except it and you will see a dramatic increase in iphone usage for business reasons as well. the corporate email is just the instant access of it, in terms of how it looks and is used as the user above said the desktop aspect of how the iphone works and acts like a full blown computer is probably preferred by most. i mean most people use a pc all day and used it for business before they did there phones so y not continue using the same format on your phone ?
Closed Thread