Old 04-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
xxteargodxx

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Which should I get? G1 or BlackBerry Curve 8520

Please Login to Remove!

I have until tomorrow to decide

I know I'll most likely get a lot of fanboyism seeing as I am posting this on a BlackBerry related site but if you can just try and put that aside and let me know which phone you think I should get.

Here's the deal, My mother is buying a new phone and from what I understand the people at T-Mobile told her if she buys a smartphone she can get another one free. So if all that works out I'll be getting a G1 or possibly her old BlackBerry Curve 8520.

I don't know much about both phones I've only played around with the BlackBerry Curve a few times and it seems okay not too bad though I must admit I do like touch screens after owning an ipod touch, and an env touch.

If someone could go into a bit of detail on the following below that'd be great, though if anyone doesn't want to take the time out to help a newb I'd understand why. Thanks for anybody's input.

What I'm looking for in a phone:

Texting
Web Browsing
E-Mail (I use GMail)
Light Gaming (Something small quick to pass the time while I travel on a bus or train nothing major)
Apps (Preferrably free user friendly apps)
Battery Life
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Rogers

I don't know about the G1 personally, but I really like the battery life on the BlackBerry. I use it much more than I did with my older phone, and it still lasts twice as long as it did before needing to charge again. If your someone who likes to type often you may get frustrated with the touchscreen typing, at least I know I do. I like the tactile feel of the keyboard.

Apps can be a bit costly, but I always finds the one I need. Gaming is just fine for what I do (I like tower defense type games), but it may be better on the G1 if it has an accelerometer.

I have the 8520 and I enjoy it.
blue.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxteargodxx View Post
I have until tomorrow to decide

I know I'll most likely get a lot of fanboyism seeing as I am posting this on a BlackBerry related site but if you can just try and put that aside and let me know which phone you think I should get.

Here's the deal, My mother is buying a new phone and from what I understand the people at T-Mobile told her if she buys a smartphone she can get another one free. So if all that works out I'll be getting a G1 or possibly her old BlackBerry Curve 8520.

I don't know much about both phones I've only played around with the BlackBerry Curve a few times and it seems okay not too bad though I must admit I do like touch screens after owning an ipod touch, and an env touch.

If someone could go into a bit of detail on the following below that'd be great, though if anyone doesn't want to take the time out to help a newb I'd understand why. Thanks for anybody's input.

What I'm looking for in a phone:

Texting
Web Browsing
E-Mail (I use GMail)
Light Gaming (Something small quick to pass the time while I travel on a bus or train nothing major)
Apps (Preferrably free user friendly apps)
Battery Life
just since you are more centered around media, web, etc i would go g1, but each is his own, and i would try both devices, goto the store and try both.

blackberry is more people centered around communications, the web browser is horrible it gets the job done just not as nice as a webkit browser, email on a blackberry is amazing push saves so much batter life. as for gaming, cant comment i have an itouch and even that was bleh took me back to the early 90's of games in 2010... so, as for batter life, my 9700 with almost heavy usage can go over 1 day i love it!

but both devices actually suit different needs, the g1 is a nice device, more web centered and more around google services, as for apps, cant speak for them its probably like an iphone in that department.

i would still see if you could go play with both for a while in a store, see if you like the platform.

Last edited by wabbit; 04-08-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Even if the G1 is a "dated" device, its hardware components are really good for today's standards. It has 3g, GPS, compass, accelerometer. Also android is great, and you will be able to have more apps than BB.
If the choice is G1 vs 8520 I would go with G1.
If it was vs storm 2 well that's another story.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
xxteargodxx

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Will see how it works out at the T-Mobile store next week. If the sales guy can give us a good deal with a good discount on the G1 I may be able to snatch it up.

If not I'll just use my mother's BlackBerry Curve 8520.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

one thing I forgot to mention is that the curve 8520 as all current BBs have standard 3.5mm jack for headphones...
The G1 uses a propietary HTC plug... (but it does have BT2.0)

I know you have an ipod touch, but if you're planning to use your phone as music player it was worth mentioning.

And knowing that also the iPod support BT I would recommend you to get a good BT set that works with any of the 3 devices
Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Wuzzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

If you're really concerned about battery life, go with the BB. When I had a G1, I had to charge it once a day, no matter how light the usage whereas with the 8520 I charge it once every 3 days on moderate usage.
8100 - 4.5.0.188-out of retirement? lol
Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
AmaThaFetish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 21f9efc1

i just switched from G1 to 8520... This is my first bb and I'm very satisfied... my bestie left the G1 for the 9700. The G1 is not all its cracked up to be. It has the absolute WORST battery life on the planet. But I mean other than that its not a horrible phone. I'm just happier with my bb. Take advantage of Tmobile's 13 day return policy... get the G1 and play around with it... get a feel for it and if you don't like it return it and get the bb... or vice versa.
Closed Thread