Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
While Google are now at version 2 with Android, most devices are still stuck on 1.5/1.6 and may possibly will be. I feel it's going to take one company to throw all their development at the platform to make Android "grow-up".
That's a big stumbling block for me, that you can't upgrade Android phones to the latest OS once it's released, especially given how fast Android is changing right now. That's unlikely to change too, since it would be up to hardware manufacturers (or hackers) to adapt new releases of Android for their old phones, and of course they'd rather just sell you a new phone.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

My Android upgraded itself. All reports also state it will continue to do so in the future. The Eris will move from 1.5 to 2.0 first of the year.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #23
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I wish Verizion wasn't so ridiculously expensive :(. Came to over $70 a month before the university discount (15%) which was just too much for minimum minutes and unlim data. I pay about $45 with tmo right now for that. Also my G1 should be here Monday to try out and see if I like android or not, I plan on rooting it and putting on one of the 1.6 roms.

I also am worried about encryption/protection. With BB the password protection is almost bulletproof, 10 tries, it's wiped, no way around it.

I don't see anything similar for the android, I hear the home screen locks a long home press can get around which is just plain unacceptable, no way would I want my email compromised if I lose my phone.

Last edited by tazeat; 12-25-2009 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #24
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i was looking @ some deals offered on wirefly.....so i thought it was time to take the plunge....

i've been with tmob for more than 3 years and i wasn't on contract, so i found it a little compelling to get a new phone. i decided to go with verizon this time, and wirefly was offering the 9550 for $ 80, the droid for $ 120.

i chose to go with the droid.....although the bb experience has been great and i liked using my unlocked Storm with tmob, there wasn't much incentive for me to stay with tmob, as well as get another bb (i am a personal email user).

ultimately, the thing that changed my mind to the droid was being stuck with bbos for another 2 yrs. although it's a good platform, i set a higher bar this time for web browsing & handset features.....

so because i changed my mind midway in the order (from the 9550 to the droid), i received both in the mail. the 9550 box is 3 times the weight of the droid box....i wonder what's in there ? left the 9550 sealed because it's going back to wirefly.....

so far the droid has this pretty solid industrial look and it's a hefty phone, playing around with the device a little it seems like a nice phone, but i'm limited to using it because it's not activated it. hopefully some time tomorrow it will be activated and i can get started moving all my personal info over.....

meanwhile, i will miss doing things the bb way, but it's done now. it was a tough call for me, but from what i'm hearing so far, i don't think i'm going to regret it.

there are some apps i do have with the bb that i haven't checked to see if android has an equivalent.....like datavault.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #25
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E

My Blackberry Tour trackball froze so I brought it to my carrier. While I left my phone there, there was a Droid Eris newly displayed. I got the chance to play around with it and the interface. Wow. There was a Blackberry Storm2 as well beneath the case. Took a look at it and played around with the OS 5.0 interface. Ugh. It wasn't even a close contest between the Eris and the Storm2. It was that obvious.

More than just the OS and the interface, the Storm2 hardware felt heavier and brick like while the Eris felt thinner, lighter, just easier to handle. The cost of the phone and the data plan were also deeply in favor of the Eris. (The data plans are our local island carrier who uses a lot of Sprint and Verizon handsets.)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
zero7404

i'm not sure how fast the storm 2 hardware is, but the droid....after 2 days use....it's just fast.

never ceases to amaze me, google maps + navigation, when i pulled that up today i pictured myself looking like a jacka$$ for spending money on a garmin last year....
Old 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #27
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i'm not sure how fast the storm 2 hardware is, but the droid....after 2 days use....it's just fast.

never ceases to amaze me, google maps + navigation, when i pulled that up today i pictured myself looking like a jacka$$ for spending money on a garmin last year....
One thing the standalone Garmin has over a cell device is that you do not need a cell signal to work. That 'droid needs to have cell data coverage to display the map.

I personally prefer the standalone GPS devices for that reason and also because they talk to you, are much easier to see and have a large POI database.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #28
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
One thing the standalone Garmin has over a cell device is that you do not need a cell signal to work. That 'droid needs to have cell data coverage to display the map.

I personally prefer the standalone GPS devices for that reason and also because they talk to you, are much easier to see and have a large POI database.
good point....i think that only applies to stand-alone navi's, because garmin's phone app also needs data to snag maps.

only issue i have with stand-alone's is they lock u into a system where u now must pay every time you'd like to update your maps or get add-ons