Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #81
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
altho ubuntu and other flavors of linux are not on the cutting edge, they are pretty darn close. the reasons they have not been popular with most home users is because the code needed to decrypt or decode modern dvd and blu-ray movies rests in the hands of studios that would rather die than give the source-code out. therefore, getting dvd's to play back was a problem back in the early years of ubuntu. eventually the encryption was cracked and now dvd playback is no problem (yet frame rates and resolution requires a little work to get everything smooth and fluid during playback). again in recent years linux distros are not able to play blu-ray discs easily because of the new encryptions and standards. but once managed copy hits the market, i'm sure someone will figure out how to play blu-ray movies in linux.
This is the root of why I just can't use Linux in any serious capacity. Linux relies too much on random people figuring things out or cracking codes. And then, it still requires me as the end user to tweak and modify things just to get them working. I don't want my operating system to be that flakey, or that easily foiled, or that slow to develop. This is one of the big reasons I switched to Mac. I haven't thought about tweaking my computer in two years, and it is very liberating.

I understand that people enjoy that sort of thing, and therefore Linux is a serious options for them, and I wouldn't knock that. It's just not for me for the same reasons it is perfect for someone else.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #82
hakaida442
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

adding appointments in the iphone sucks too. i played around with a friend's 3GS and it wouldn't add recurring appointments like the bb does. For instance, I go to the chiropractor on tuesdays, thursdays, and fridays every week. BB lets me do this. with the iphone i would have to add recurring appointments for each day individually. i really do like that the iphone shows folders for yahoo mail and the browser is light years ahead of the bb browser. i like both phones, but the bb still wins out for my needs.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #83
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

IMHO, the iPhone 3GS isn't that bad. I got one for fathers day after my Bold bit the dust and had it syncing with my Exchange server before I left the store. Now on to the things I miss.

1. Different tones for emails.
2. SMS tones REALLY suck.
3. physical keyboard

That's really the only things I miss. I've been able to get the ringtones I want with a simple 30 second hack to the tones I wanted and syncing them to iTunes, I will need to jailbreak for the SMS tones that also are used for email tones. I'm getting used to the keyboard and landscape mode makes it easier for me.

I never tether and rarely used MMS since I have email, people email me pictures if I want them. Other then that I'm happy with the apps that I run and haven't paid for any of them, memory is very good as in zero leaks.

Just my .002

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #84
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
IMHO, the iPhone 3GS isn't that bad. I got one for fathers day after my Bold bit the dust and had it syncing with my Exchange server before I left the store. Now on to the things I miss.

1. Different tones for emails.
2. SMS tones REALLY suck.
3. physical keyboard
Agree with 1 and 2 and would add BBM to the list. Other then that I am very happy with my 3GS.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #85
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
boot camp i hear is cool. but most linux desktop platforms come with GRUB, which i configured the way i like so that i can autostart any OS i have installed upon bootup.....GRUB can also be installed stand-alone, so you can probably replace bootcamp with GRUB and install the real thing (XP) on a clean partition on your system. that way you don't deal with the virtual machine style lags and hickups and limitations in hardware support.

so i first had windows vista running on my system, then i partitioned up and installed ubuntu too. even got both OS's to play nice with my storage HDD, so i only need to have one copy of a music file or document or movie and grab it from the drive no matter which OS i'm loaded in.

since i shelled probably about $ 500-700 to date in windows software just for my current machine (which is only 1 yr old), but able to get ubuntu to do 85% of what i do in windows for free and not have to worry about viruses or firewall software, then y should i keep paying to use windows....?

in the long run it makes sense since the lifetime windows user probably must spend close to $ 1000 over 5-7 years just for antivirus software.....that's almost a brand new set of tires for my weekender, u know ?
Bootcamp does essentially the same thing you describe with Grub. You cannot have more than on OS booted at the same time but, there is no lag at all... the only issue i have with bootcamp is windows cannot read Mac partitioned drives but, with a program called MacDrive that is corrected... i just read online that Snow Leopard's version of bootcamp will come with the windows HFS+ drivers to read Mac partitions...

Oh, and Mac cannot read NTFS drives without aftermarket software :( but, the software is free so, its all gravy... lol

I've been thinking about messing around with linux a bit, i just don't know ANYTHING about it...
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #86
dsconnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Iphon
Carrier: ATT

I've been a BB user/supporter since 2004. I started with a 7100t, then a 8700, then a 8320 and finally a 9000. I agree, it totally comes down to user preference. Personally, after using the 9000 for a month and the trying the iPhone, I won't go back to the BB. I love my iPhone and for my uses, the iPhone is far superior. Battery life is not very good but the browser is far superior. I've enjoyed these forums for the past 5 years and I'll continue to stop by, but for me and my uses, the iPhone is far superior. IMHO
Old 06-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #87
clumpymold

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsconnell
I've been a BB user/supporter since 2004. I started with a 7100t, then a 8700, then a 8320 and finally a 9000. I agree, it totally comes down to user preference. Personally, after using the 9000 for a month and the trying the iPhone, I won't go back to the BB. I love my iPhone and for my uses, the iPhone is far superior. Battery life is not very good but the browser is far superior. I've enjoyed these forums for the past 5 years and I'll continue to stop by, but for me and my uses, the iPhone is far superior. IMHO
And what are those uses?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 AM   #88
hakaida442

Model: 9550

i'm a realtor and have the bb bluetooth software that can open lockboxes when showing homes. apple doesnt have an app for that yet. iphone is a good phone, but still isn't right for me.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #89
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
i'm a realtor and have the bb bluetooth software that can open lockboxes when showing homes. apple doesnt have an app for that yet. iphone is a good phone, but still isn't right for me.
Which is one of the main reasons on which device one should buy. One size does not fit all.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #90
jbachandouris

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/AT&T
Default I too have a decison to make.

Up until recently I have had WiMo devices, with the exception of the Storm. I bought a VZW Tour on launch day, but I had been toying with the idea of the iPhone 3GS. I thought if I owned both, that would help me decide which one was better for me. Boy was I wrong. In a ideal world, I would keep both. I have about 8 more days to decide which one to keep. I have had VZW for 9 years and have 3 lines of service. I plan to close one line if I decide on the iPhone.

The media (video/internet) on the Tour is pretty painful. Emails arrive within minutes of each other. Today, the iPhone got every email first. Battery life is so so on the iPhone.

Since I have a corporate discount no matter which one I keep doesn't make the decision any easier.

Reality is, I don't really 'need' a smartphone, so either device works. The biggest hindrance is my loyalty to VZW. 9 years is a long time.
Closed Thread