Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Phone Guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T
Default Really want to want the Bold over the Iphone vs2

Please Login to Remove!

I have been debating back and forth over the last few days about a decision to move from the iPhone v.1 to v.2 BUT really like some of the benefits of the BB stuff particularly the yet to be released BOLD. I used to work for Cingular (or whatever they call it now AT&T mobility) and used the 8700 solely. When I left I swore I wouldn't use anything other than just a regular phone but my tech side kicked in and I bought an iphone. Rather than try and hack someone elses iphone vs. bold thread I would rather ask my own since I have some specific needs / wants.

I love the internet on the iphone and that is the only main point for me, and I use itunes but don't 'have' to have it. Form factor is okay, hate the non "real" gps options, apps are cool but you can get 3rd party stuff for just about anything on a bb.

What draws me back to the bb is it's is an awesome device, great gps options, real keyboard, easier to type on, really durable and I think better call quality. I also like the ability for the bb devices to sync w/ Microsoft outlook. I don't care too much for the way itunes has to interfere w/ syncing my calander. My concern is that I would not be / prob. never will be on a BES again. Would it make sense to get the bb using BIS only, kinda seems like not using the bb for what it is? My biggest concern is the internet as I use about 40 to 60 megs / month (incl. a fair amount of email w/ attachments) which I don't think includes usage on wi-fi but using the internet so much is a product of the iphone being so good at it. I really only have to be able to read the news and weather. Also, this forums rocks over any iphone forum which is a point most folks don't give much weight.

Would I be terribly dissapointed w/ the bb over the iphone?

Last edited by Phone Guy; 09-25-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
BostLabs

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

From what you just listed I'd say you want the BB.
Your pros on the BB were multitude while you said very little of the iphone.
Also I need to stop paying so much attention to the shrink on bones.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Phone Guy

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T

The BB def. has some great stuff. The iPhone does too. I'm just not as willing to change as spontaneously as I used to and would like to really be sure. I guess I could just take advantage of the 30 day return when the bold comes out. If anyone that had an iphone and switched to the BB, I would like to know your thoughts.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

I'd go with the iPhone. Comparing BIS to MobileMe is like comparing a Datsun to a Ferrari. BIS offers poor functionality by comparison to what Apple is doing in the consumer space. The other killer is apps. Apple's app store is excellent, lots to choose from and the search and delivery of apps to the device is amazing. RIM don't even know what apps are. Sad to say it as a BlackBerry user of 6 years but, in your case (which is not every case I might add), I think the iPhone is the more suitable solution.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I agree, if you use MobileMe its great. Since I started using MobileMe, no email troubles and everything is synced over the air and its done perfectly. Apps are excellent and are only getting better.
As a long time BIS user I didn't see the benefits that many of the BES users are familiar with, so iPhone w/ MobileMe was better than BIS.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

I've said it several times before here, but will say it again. Is your primary use to be a PHONE, or a nifty multimedia & web browsing device? If you say a PHONE, than get the Bold. I have personal experience (more than once) of standing next to iPhone users with my (AT&T) Curve and being able to make and receive calls when their reception isn't good enough to use. And its not just me, google iPhone reception, you'll find all sorts of info out there confirming people experiencing poor reception.

I know test and others will chime in and say their reception is just fine, and I'm sure it is. If you'll ALWAYS be in good coverage areas, then you'll probably be just fine. If you ever find yourself in marginal coverage areas, the BB will be a more reliable PHONE! I understand it took RIM a couple of generations before they figured out how to build a good PHONE into their BlackBerrys, and its apparently going to take Apple a while too. Desiging & manufacturing cellular phones is a whole different technology with a whole different set of issues and problems than designing a computer or multimedia player.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Dallas, your opinions are getting dated. 2.1 vastly improved the 3G's reception and with the 2G model I've never had a problem nor have coworkers who us it all the time. reception is no longer an issue with iphones. Your comparison about apple makes computers well but not phones is old news as they have sold big numbers and the quality is very good and customer satisfaction is higher than RIM.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Dallas, your opinions are getting dated. 2.1 vastly improved the 3G's reception and with the 2G model I've never had a problem nor have coworkers who us it all the time. reception is no longer an issue with iphones. Your comparison about apple makes computers well but not phones is old news as they have sold big numbers and the quality is very good and customer satisfaction is higher than RIM.
Yep, I predicted you'd show up to dispute my post. No, test, my opinions are quite timely. I just had it happen again just over a week ago, with a business associate with the new 3G model.

I don't dispute they've sold big numbers (less than RIM, but big numbers) and I don't dispute that the build quality is very good. I also don't dispute that you've had fine reception, so I'd appreciate it if you don't dispute MY experiences, just because they disagree with yours. Please don't claim that if YOU haven't had reception issues, that they simply don't exist, or that my opinions are "getting dated." Many STILL have reception problems with both the 2G and 3G models, likely in marginal reception areas, but areas where other phones simply work. There are stories all over the web, you'd have to put a blindfold on not to see them.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 10-03-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Dallas, as always I don't care to go back and forth with you. Simply look at the news about the device and you will see that overwhelming majority of the users are no longer having any problems. The old stories about poor receptions are just that, old, since 2.1 things are different. - done.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
DallasFlier

Quote:
Dallas, as always I don't care to go back and forth with you. Simply look at the news about the device and you will see that overwhelming majority of the users are no longer having any problems. The old stories about poor receptions are just that, old, since 2.1 things are different. - done.
Keep drinking that kool-aid and putting your head in the sand, test!

From CNet:
Quote:
iPhone 3G Signal Strength Problems Persist in OS 2.1

Posted 22 September 2008 @ 6am in Troubleshooting

Users continue to report poor 3G signal strength under iPhone OS 2.1. To be clear, iPhone OS 2.1 does not purport to actually boost signal strength. Instead, it provides “more accurate” signal strength display, which, in most cases, means more bar bars, but not necessarily better reception or ability to make/receive cals.

Two sample reports from this Apple Discussion thread:

* “the point is that the 3G did go from zero to all the bars but still dropping the calls!
* “I just bought my iphone yesterday and asoon as i got home the reception was terribal so i updated it to 2.1 and instead of getting no bars i get 1 to 3 bars but it goes off and on and turns 3g off and goes to edge.”

The most reliable indicator of actual signal strength is the iPhones dB meter, which can be accessed in field test mode. Dial *3001#12345#* then press “Call.” A dB reading below 50 generally indicates good strength.
iPhone 3G Signal Strength Problems Persist in OS 2.1 - iPhone Atlas

Another CNet article amplifying further:
Quote:
Apple’s iPhone Signal Strength Placebo

Posted 25 September 2008 @ 8am in News

As previously noted, users continue to report poor 3G signal strength under iPhone OS 2.1. To be clear, iPhone OS 2.1 does not purport to actually boost signal strength. Instead, it provides “more accurate” signal strength display, which, in most cases, means more bar bars, but not necessarily better reception or ability to make/receive calls. However, it appears that “more accurate” may mean “unreasonably generous.”

Noted in our previous report, the most reliable indicator of actual signal strength is the iPhones dB meter, which can be accessed in field test mode. Dial *3001#12345#* then press “Call.” A dB reading below 50 generally indicates good strength.

iPhone Atlas reader Michael did some testing, and found that widely varying dB readings resulted in the same five-bar signal indicator on his iPhone. He writes:

“After I upgraded to 2.1, I did indeed notice a consistent indication of ‘5 bars’ of signal strength. Then I learned how to put my iPhone in field test mode so the phone displays an absolute signal strength indication of dBm rather than a relative signal strength indication of ‘bars.’ You can then tap the signal strength to switch between the two. I have done an informal survey and observed the following:

1. -50 dBm = 5 signal bars
2. -75 dBm = 5 signal bars
3. -80 dBm = 5 signal bars
4. -95 dBm = 5 signal bars
5. -113 dBm = 5 signal bars

Michael’s results beg the question — does iPhone OS 2.1 really provide more accurate signal strength indication? Or does it simply inflate the signal strength reading?
iPhone Atlas - iPhone guides, help, applications, news and more, updated daily.

So you're right, in 2.1 things are different - Apple has inflated the "bars" readout, since they apparently have NOT solved the reception issues. "Done" indeed.

So, there's the "news about the device" you said to "simply look at." Tough being confronted with the truth, huh? Or is CNet full of BS and don't know what they're talking about either?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

your version of the truth is not universal. hope you realize that in more than just iphone news.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
DallasFlier

Quote:
your version of the truth is not universal. hope you realize that in more than just iphone news.
Nor is yours, as you'd like to make everyone think with your sweeping (but patently false) statements. I've posted industry trade articles from well known sources. So far all we have to go on in contrast is your unsupported statements:
Quote:
The old stories about poor receptions are just that, old, since 2.1 things are different. - done.
Since 2.1, things are definitely different. Apple has apparently decided to try to sweep the issue under the rug by changing the firmware to report "5 bars" no matter how bad the reception actually is. Go Apple!

Last edited by DallasFlier; 10-07-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

look a little deeper, it displays accurate signal. 2.1 lowered the bandwidth required for the phone. I know this conversation goes no where other than to antagonize, so have fun.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
DallasFlier

Quote:
look a little deeper, it displays accurate signal.
Once again, from an established, generally respected industry source:
Quote:
iPhone Atlas reader Michael did some testing, and found that widely varying dB readings resulted in the same five-bar signal indicator on his iPhone. He writes:

“After I upgraded to 2.1, I did indeed notice a consistent indication of ‘5 bars’ of signal strength. Then I learned how to put my iPhone in field test mode so the phone displays an absolute signal strength indication of dBm rather than a relative signal strength indication of ‘bars.’ You can then tap the signal strength to switch between the two. I have done an informal survey and observed the following:

1. -50 dBm = 5 signal bars
2. -75 dBm = 5 signal bars
3. -80 dBm = 5 signal bars
4. -95 dBm = 5 signal bars
5. -113 dBm = 5 signal bars

Michael’s results beg the question — does iPhone OS 2.1 really provide more accurate signal strength indication? Or does it simply inflate the signal strength reading?
Is that what you call "displaying accurate signal"??? Any evidence to the contrary other than your continual unsubstantiated claims? I'm providing third party industry information to back up my position.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
robbym
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Virgin
Default I want to love my iphone but its not a blackberry

What I Hate About The Apple Iphone 3G
  • battery is not user replaceable
  • disabled a2dp bluetooth profile (No bluetooth music on the king of music phones???? Very dumb!!!)
  • incompatible with most ipod dock connector accessories
  • locked down ring tone support (You pay to make ringtones out of itunes tracks you've already purchased)
  • no led light/flash
  • no office/pdf document support
  • no turn-by-turn gps software support
  • no video support
  • some failed outgoing calls and scrambled incoming calls
  • touchpad keyboard difficult to use for more than a short text
  • weekly ipod failures (tracks just stop and iphone resets to home screen)
What I Love About The Iphone 3G
  • built in 16gb memory
  • integrated application store
  • mobile me push calendar, contacts and mail
  • tiny ac adapter
  • visual voice mail

By contrast all the things I love about blackberry are the opposites of what I hate about the iphone. e.g. user replaceable battery, a2dp, universal compatibility with mini USB, freedom to load any sound I want as a ringtone, an excellent LED light/flash, choices for turn by turn navigation, good photo and video for a phone, a user editable autotext dictionary and then finally there is the wonderful keyboard and BIS/BES I so love and miss.

All this said - WTT Rogers 16GB iPhone 3g for Rogers Blackberry Bold

Last edited by robbym; 10-10-2008 at 04:32 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #16
jeffsims

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Att

The Bold is the best of all blackberries
Closed Thread