BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
marballs

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Can't send emails on Blackberry Vodafone BIS account.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

My user is having great problems with his Blackberry on Vodafone (UK) and sending emails.
He has a BIS account (was originally on a BES account but he left his job and converted).
He can receive email but is unable to send instead getting the message:

"No message services configured
you will only be able to Save Draft"

We have spoken to Vodafone and tried many things including:
• Manually deleting all the service books accept provisioning and then resending then to handset
• Re-registering phone on Vodafone network as instructed by Vodafone (hard reset - then connect to non Vodafone network, then reconnect)
• General resending of service books.

The email account is a (for example) "emailaddress@btinternet.com" one.

However still always get the same error message. Now we notices after resending the service books and then looking under service books, two of the entries contain the email address associated with the user.

therefore: "emailaddress@btinternet.com"

However one of these two service book entries has a stop / rejection / failed symbol against it rather then a tick like the rest of them.

One assumed this obviously is the source of the problem, but what can we do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
MarcusT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: JVM513
Carrier: AT&T

My best guess would be that being formerly on a BES is causing this issue.

If you go into Settings>Options>Security Options>General Settings is there an item listed next to IT Policy?

Only way to correct this issue is to contact the previous employer, or Blackberry, and have them send out a "Blank IT Policy" to the Blackberry, which will no longer hinder any services on the phone. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
My best guess would be that being formerly on a BES is causing this issue.

If you go into Settings>Options>Security Options>General Settings is there an item listed next to IT Policy?

Only way to correct this issue is to contact the previous employer, or Blackberry, and have them send out a "Blank IT Policy" to the Blackberry, which will no longer hinder any services on the phone. Good luck!
My guess to would be IT Policy, unfortunaly MarcusT, neither your carrier, nore RIM (BlackBerry) can send IT Policies, it's just not possible without being connected to a BES.

The only way to get rid of one (without readding the device to the old compnay BES) is to use JlCmder How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ but this will wipe the device.

I have had major trouble with Vodafone with my provisioning, so I'd just double check with Vodafone second line support that they have set you up right, they probably have as you're recieving mails, but it's work double checking.

I will say that when I've ever had this issue, it has either been due to provisioning, or a dodgy O/S setup, I'd always advokate upgrading the O/S to the latest version, but that's just me!

Last edited by skyman84; 02-20-2009 at 04:21 AM..
Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
marballs

Oh can I add, it was working after initally visiting the Vodafone shop. Then it dropped out once and a visit back to the Vodafone shop resolved it.
Then I set p Blackberry Desktop for the user so they could synchronise contacts etc. Then I done the firmware upgrade to 4.5.

Then it would not work again.

So it has worked for a bit.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
marballs

Well OK, frustratinlgy we have spoken to Vodafone on the phone again and after a long converstaion with them and trying many things including a complete handset wipe, the problem is not resolved.

They have basically told me that the phone must be broken as a result of the firmware upgrade that was performed and because techncially Vodafone did not supply it though this particular account we are on our own.

The device was purchased about 18 months ago. Does anyone have any input a to what I can do? Are Rim going to be of much assistance?

Thanks for any help?
Closed Thread