Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
kingfishbc

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Desktop Manager 5.01.37 Install problem

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded from an 8830 to a 9550 and so I downloaded the newest (5.01.37) Desktop Manager from Blackberry to my XP computer. I made the mistake of having 4.6 D M running when I attempted the 5.01 install, so at some point in the process a window popped up and told me to close down the D M version that was running so I could complete the install. When I closed down 4.6, the 5.01 installation closed out too, with a message indicating the install had been interrupted and to start the install over again. So I did, and early on in the install prep, the install closed down with the same message (install has been terminated, start over), and now I am caught up in some kind of a feedback loop where the install repeatedly gets to that point and terminates itself. I have removed the download file and re-downloaded it, I have removed all other Blackberry programs from my computer, and the install effort continues to terminate itself.

Does anyone have a clue to offer me in breaking out of this loop so I can complete the install?

TIA...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I would uninstall all instances of Desktop Manager and then try the install.
That usually helps
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
kingfishbc

Thanks jb - I had done that to no avail but now after getting a Verizon techy on the phone and trying all of his tricks, he sent me to Blackberry to get their information on a Desktop Manager clean uninstall which included some cleaning tweaks to the registry. Verizon doesn't let their techs guide customers anywhere near the registry so he was done.

I found document KB0206 and followed directions explicitly but that still didn't solve the problem. At that point I took the bull by the horns as it were and inside of Regedit, performed a search for "Research In Motion" and one by one removed every trace of RIM (and Puma Technology) from the registry - I think there were over 50 of them. Closed out of Regedit and VOILA! - the install worked.

The big thing here is that apparently Blackberry wants a clean uninstall of any earlier desktop versions BEFORE the new one is installed; AND, I think I had some shreds of the unsuccessful install lurking in my registry. Between those two things I was not going to get anywhere.

I hope this helps somebody else along the line somewhere, but be careful of bumping into anything you didn't mean to while inside the registry...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

There was a folder basically inside I think a folder called 'Temp' in in your /user folder that needed to be deleted that probably would have done the same thing. I've had bad installs repeat on me until I delete the temp install folder, which sounds like the same problem. I've also done the same regedit trick when I wanted to re-install Norton Anti-Virus when I wanted to keep getting updates for free (back when I still used Norton.)
Old 04-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Emil308

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Hey everybody, am trying to download the latest desktop manager 5.01, but the language during the installation process isn't in English, so I don't know how to advance and complete the install...

I have a feeling this is something on my computer, but that being said can anyone help please?? Thanks!
Closed Thread