Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Question THREE Questions...

Please Login to Remove!

1) Can I attach an additional email acct that DOES NOT show up in my message folder?

2) Going to upgrade to a 8 GB MicroSD. Does the Tour allow for MicroSD HC?
I see this kind on eBay and wondered if it made a difference.

3) Can't wrap my brain around the "create a folder" feature. How do you guys/gals personally use that feature?

3.5) Just curious...With the ability to upgrade as high as 16GB microSD card, is your Tour going to replace your iPod? Just curious as to how much folks are using this great phone.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

1) yes. When you set up the account. Just setup the filter not to forward messages to your phone
2) yes
3) I created a media folder from my home screen
3.5) yes

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

akosnitzy - thanks for the reply.

Re: question #1 - I want the emails for this particular gmail acct to go to my phone but I don't want to be notified of arrival (I know how to do this) and I also don't want the emails to filter into Messages. I basically just want to check this particular email on my BB when I feel like it and not be bothered otherwise. So I'm asking is this possible? If so, how?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Go to your profiles, go to set ringtones/alerts - you may shut off the volume, the vibrate and LED notification

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
hard10
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel / VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Go to your profiles, go to set ringtones/alerts - you may shut off the volume, the vibrate and LED notification
Does that stop it from going into the Message Folder?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, it doesn't. I think my dilemma is misunderstood. If anyone knows how to stop a particular email from going into Messages please advise. I just want to contain the messages for one particular email acct within the separate email folder/icon and not mix it with all my Messages folder.

I am, however, so glad to see that SMS and MMS now have their own section/folder. BB use to throw everything under Messages.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I do not believe you can do that. The Messages folder is a catch all for all messages.

The OS was changed to isolate SMS some time ago. It can be controlled via the theme chosen.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tockmarket View Post
akosnitzy - thanks for the reply.

Re: question #1 - I want the emails for this particular gmail acct to go to my phone but I don't want to be notified of arrival (I know how to do this) and I also don't want the emails to filter into Messages. I basically just want to check this particular email on my BB when I feel like it and not be bothered otherwise. So I'm asking is this possible? If so, how?
No, there is no way to do stop the messages from going in your Messages if you have them delivered to the BlackBerry.

You might be able to create a custom profile for that email account, I'm not sure, to handle notifications differently.

Also, the create a folder option is for folders on the home screen, not email folders. Just like you create a folder on your PC for files, pictures, application shortcuts.

Last edited by daphne; 07-24-2009 at 09:50 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

(kicking dirt) ok thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Thumbs up

Quote:

3.5) Just curious...With the ability to upgrade as high as 16GB microSD card, is your Tour going to replace your iPod? Just curious as to how much folks are using this great phone.
Can't speak on the other points you raised as I've only had the Tour for 12 hours (really) but I have used BB's since mid-2003 and my last device was an 8900 on T-Mobile before I made the switch to VZW...today.

- With three batteries (bought from here: Lithium Battery For Blackberry Curve 8900, Storm 9500, Storm 9530, Tour 9630 - BlackBerry 9630 / Tour) battery life becomes a non issue. It's 35 bucks for 3 batteries - shipped - plus the battery it comes with. Headphones cost more than that.

- I ditched my iPod nano 4GB in favor of carrying the 7130, Curve, 8900 (and now Tour) as my primary music device.

- The quality on the Tour is superior (with headphones and on speaker) to the iPhone. No comparison.

Verdict: buy batteries. Invest in or keep your really good headphones. Rock on.

[footnote: all my use of BB's with music is real world, as I live and work in DC and commute on the Metro 4-5 hours out of my day. There's no better test of a device to be useful and convenient than to use it in our nation's capitol. And for those wondering, yes, I'm .gov, and my 8703 sans-camera goes everywhere the Tour can't. I swear by BB's and so does the President, USSS, DoD, SOCOM, and other people]
Old 07-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
amar0315
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
(kicking dirt) ok thanks.
well what i did was just have all my email icons up and my messages icon hidden since i set everything not to go in there anyways.....that way you just have all the icons for the email accts seperated of course and i knew which one it was going to rather then going to messages and seeing everything....believe me i have tried everything else...only thing that seems to work
Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
radioflyer410

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
No, it doesn't. I think my dilemma is misunderstood. If anyone knows how to stop a particular email from going into Messages please advise. I just want to contain the messages for one particular email acct within the separate email folder/icon and not mix it with all my Messages folder.

I am, however, so glad to see that SMS and MMS now have their own section/folder. BB use to throw everything under Messages.
If it's a gmail account you can set up a separate Gmail for mobile account. It completely bypasses the BIS email system, you look at those emails in it's own folder and they do not show up in your messages folder. Mail received through Gmail for mobile shows up fairly quickly - maybe just as quickly as through BIS and you have the added benefit of using labels.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
gadzooks64
Knows Where the Search Button Is

radioflyer410 beat me to it.

I was going to recommend using the GMail app from Google. I'm using it with my GMail account without it going into the Messages folder.

I'm not a fan of the bulk Messages folder. I separated all my stuff out. It was annoying that everything was showing up in two places.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, this is some great advise and I think it solves my dilemma. I could very well hide the message folder and pull my main work email folder to home page and put the gmail folder on the back end.

I will also look into the GMail app.

ItsAllverbatim - Thanks for posting about the music and the batteries. I love gadgets but I hate to carry anything in my hands, so a combination of cellphone/ipod on my hip in one device is really what I'm looking for. Good to read others are doing the same. I'll look for a case that would allow for extra batteries on the go.

Thank you everyone!