BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #61
bluejacket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

p.p.s. I think you just have to press alt first, don't you...?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #62
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here are some fave apps on my 8900, and why (plus a few other comments on apps I've tried):

BBWeather--Great free weather app, with 5-day forecast and hourly conditions; can set multiple locations and select from a menu. Plus, the homepage icon can display current temp and/or conditions!

QuickLaunch--My main go-to app ($5?), brings up a text menu to launch items. It is actively being improved by the developer. Includes many handy items (activate with a checkbox) like BB status, WiFi setup (when searching for local hotspots), a RESET item (no need for SoftReset or QuickPull anymore!).. I launch with the right convenience button--much easier than going thru icons/folders. It will also launch specific webpages, SMS/email/phone contacts, etc.

GoogleMaps--my other main go-to app. It pulls up my location easily (with or without GPS), and finds any local biz or service quickly, complete with contact info and reviews. I've tried Beyond411 and just don't like it. Also trying out Poynt, but GoogleMaps seems to be more intuitive and generally useful than either.

Slacker--Great radio app with lots of stations for different music types. Tried Iheartradio but Slacker had more stations I like and easier access to them.

BB Browser: This browser just works fine. Have used Opera Mini and Bolt for a bit, but these browsers seem to require too much additional configuration/options for specific sites to get optimal viewing. The regular BB browser is great for simple surfing.

Vlingo--Still installed on my 8900 but it may not last. It's a voice-activated app launcher and message transcriber (so you can dictate emails, etc.). Doesn't feel 'right' or easy to use (always requires some fiddling, etc.). Good idea, lacks in execution. I prefer launching apps with QuickLaunch, and dictation requires too much editing.

Shazam--Fun music-tagging app; just hold it up to any music you hear and it returns the song/artist within 30 seconds or so.

AP Mobile News--Great app for checking the latest news/sports/entertainment headlines; can also set up multiple locations for 'local' news items. Be sure to quit this app from the menu, as it continues to run if you exit by the 'back' key!

BBTetris--nice, free version of this timeless addiction.

DataVault--Comprehensive secure data app (passwords, credit cards, accounts, etc.) ($15?) with a secure desktop companion app. Very flexible with user-created categories, subcategories, and several formats for data pages.

RepliGo--great app for reading pdf files ($20?), works well on the 8900. For business users, it's a nice companion to Docs To Go.

BatteryBooster ($10?)--still checking this out for improving battery life a bit.

------------
No Facebook, MySpace, Twitter for me. Call me old-school, but I still prefer human interaction!

And I'm still looking for a good, free scientific calculator (preferably not rpn!).
Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #63
ssj2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Here are some fave apps on my 8900, and why (plus a few other comments on apps I've tried):

BBWeather--Great free weather app, with 5-day forecast and hourly conditions; can set multiple locations and select from a menu. Plus, the homepage icon can display current temp and/or conditions!

QuickLaunch--My main go-to app ($5?), brings up a text menu to launch items. It is actively being improved by the developer. Includes many handy items (activate with a checkbox) like BB status, WiFi setup (when searching for local hotspots), a RESET item (no need for SoftReset or QuickPull anymore!).. I launch with the right convenience button--much easier than going thru icons/folders. It will also launch specific webpages, SMS/email/phone contacts, etc.

GoogleMaps--my other main go-to app. It pulls up my location easily (with or without GPS), and finds any local biz or service quickly, complete with contact info and reviews. I've tried Beyond411 and just don't like it. Also trying out Poynt, but GoogleMaps seems to be more intuitive and generally useful than either.

Slacker--Great radio app with lots of stations for different music types. Tried Iheartradio but Slacker had more stations I like and easier access to them.

BB Browser: This browser just works fine. Have used Opera Mini and Bolt for a bit, but these browsers seem to require too much additional configuration/options for specific sites to get optimal viewing. The regular BB browser is great for simple surfing.

Vlingo--Still installed on my 8900 but it may not last. It's a voice-activated app launcher and message transcriber (so you can dictate emails, etc.). Doesn't feel 'right' or easy to use (always requires some fiddling, etc.). Good idea, lacks in execution. I prefer launching apps with QuickLaunch, and dictation requires too much editing.

Shazam--Fun music-tagging app; just hold it up to any music you hear and it returns the song/artist within 30 seconds or so.

AP Mobile News--Great app for checking the latest news/sports/entertainment headlines; can also set up multiple locations for 'local' news items. Be sure to quit this app from the menu, as it continues to run if you exit by the 'back' key!

BBTetris--nice, free version of this timeless addiction.

DataVault--Comprehensive secure data app (passwords, credit cards, accounts, etc.) ($15?) with a secure desktop companion app. Very flexible with user-created categories, subcategories, and several formats for data pages.

RepliGo--great app for reading pdf files ($20?), works well on the 8900. For business users, it's a nice companion to Docs To Go.

BatteryBooster ($10?)--still checking this out for improving battery life a bit.

------------
No Facebook, MySpace, Twitter for me. Call me old-school, but I still prefer human interaction!

And I'm still looking for a good, free scientific calculator (preferably not rpn!).
May have to take a look at that QuickLaunch app you mentioned...
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #64
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post
May have to take a look at that QuickLaunch app you mentioned...
It is really handy. I add my favorite apps and functions, along with a few websites. No need for all those webpage launcher apps/icons! You can add dividers to separate your categories as well. And as I mentioned, the developer is actively improving and upgrading it all the time.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #65
ssj2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It is really handy. I add my favorite apps and functions, along with a few websites. No need for all those webpage launcher apps/icons! You can add dividers to separate your categories as well. And as I mentioned, the developer is actively improving and upgrading it all the time.
My dad has an app entitled ShortcutMe (or Shortcutberry), and he's wondering how those two apps differ from one another. I've seen ShortcutMe work on his phone and you can set the convenience keys to do random functions by pressing them only twice or three times, etc. I will have to consider getting that QuickLaunch because it sounds highly practical.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #66
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: ned down...

Quick launch is a great app. I highly recommend it as well..
Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #67
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
Ok, I'm starting a new thread. I hope it's not beating a dead horse, but it would be nice to have a place where all this info and opinion stuff is.

So, what 3rd party apps (from Handango, or others) do you love?

My faves:

Opera Mini: Just a fantastic browser. I like it so much more than the one that comes with the phone.

What about you guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
YouMail!
Those are my 2 "Must Haves" as well!

Ever since switching to the 8900 Curve, I no longer have to use any 3rd party IM clients, because the 8900 has the official RIM clients for ALL the major IM programs pre-installed, which suits me just fine, because the 3rd party ones I tried never worked right for me, anyway!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #68
SKJiro

Carrier: T-Mobile *Unlocked*

Starting from what I use most frequently;

-Quickpull V.2
-Viigo
-Ubertwitter (best twitter app by far)
-Google Mobile app
-Pandora
-Weather Eye
-Shazaam (the ONLY app i've ever bought. $3? Small price to pay for this great app)
-MyAlarm
-Poynt and Where
-WattPad
-Evernote
-Berry Unit Converter
-OANDA FXConverter
-BBTrans
-Benchmark Magic
-Speed Test
-BB File Scout

Most of them you can pick up for free through BBApp World.
I love test new apps!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #69
earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24B4E64D

I use...

Pandora
Facebook
Twitter
AP News
Docs to Go Premium Edition
Shazam
Weather Channel 2.0
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #70
lovescakemix
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

i only use myspace and facebook lol
sometimes gmail app when i want to mark something as spam. since i cant do that through regular email yet
Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #71
wawasteele

Carrier: T-Mobile US

I have a lot of apps on my 8900. However, my favorite is Noah. It's a bible reader from Beiks.com. With it, you don't have to have 'net access to read the bible and in some areas around here, I don't! It also allows for bookmarking and note taking within the program.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #72
Keebler

Carrier: TMO

Wow I am surprised at all the Slacker users. Tried it and Pandora.....no comparison.

My list is:
MLB Live for my Cubies
Bank Of America Shortcut
MySpace(Barely Use)
Pandora
WeatherEye
Trapster( GPS Navigation that alerts of cop hot spots, red light cams, ect)
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #73
N685EH

PIN: 20ED23DE

I'm currently running:

- UberTwitter (I completely agree with SKJiro on its awesomeness!)
- GoogleMaps
- RIM-Issued chat clients (AIM/GTalk/YIM)
- Facebook
- Pandora
- NWS Client (Gives you WX from NWS, as well as links to Radar and the Forecast Discusion/Synopsis: www(dot)renderfast(dot)com(slash)nwsclient

I am debating on re-installing FltPlan (airport information) that I had on my 8800. Also on the prowl for a *free* flight-planning/filing application... hoping that DUAT(s)/FlightAware/someone catches on.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #74
bkeaver
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: ASK
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

ok i give how are you getting BBWeather to work. I keep getting the dreaded "Error: Bad or missing query parameters in request"

EDIT: Never mind.. I got it working, it was a version issue. I had .74 installed and found .76. and after installing this version it worked like a charm.

Last edited by bkeaver; 05-31-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: fixed my issue
Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #75
Sanctorum

Carrier: t-mobile

Yeah, Facebook and Google Maps are my two favorites, haven't tried many others yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
Ok, I'm starting a new thread. I hope it's not beating a dead horse, but it would be nice to have a place where all this info and opinion stuff is.

So, what 3rd party apps (from Handango, or others) do you love?

My faves:

World Mate Live: this application is amazing. I pay the fee (I think it's $10/month USD) when I'm traveling and this application posts my flight delays and gate changes before the airline even does! I love the currency converter and weather maps as well (available on the free version).

Blackberry Alerts: This was intended for the lazy like me. For the way I set it, if it blinks blue, it's a text and I should haul my dead ass over to my phone. If it's purple, it's an e-mail and can totally wait. Plus, it makes your Berry look super pretty and swish with all the colored lights.

Facebook: It is what it is. I say no more.

Opera Mini: Just a fantastic browser. I like it so much more than the one that comes with the phone.

Google Maps: If I'm away from home, I never know where things are. I open Google Maps. I hit locate. Type "Starbucks." Nearest ones pop up. Lack of caffeine crisis averted. ;-D Even if I'm abroad!

What about you guys?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #76
R-Rizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: --
Carrier: T-Mo US

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeaver View Post
ok i give how are you getting BBWeather to work. I keep getting the dreaded "Error: Bad or missing query parameters in request"

EDIT: Never mind.. I got it working, it was a version issue. I had .74 installed and found .76. and after installing this version it worked like a charm.
http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=BBWeather_alpha

Version .84 -- Awesome Awesome app
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #77
designinme

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

ToDoMatrix
IdeaMatrix
Vlingo
Poynt
Blackberry Maps
Amaze
Opera
Beam Reader
File Manager Pro
Slacker Radio

I can't say enough about The Matrix Duo.. great apps.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #78
rugmankc

Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Slacker radio

Viigo

MyCaption Voice to Text (does calendar inputs and email) saves my thumbs. Small monthly fee, worth it.

Ken
Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #79
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

My current installed faves, in alpha order:

AlertMatrix (gotta know who is calling)
BeejiveIM (I see it as threaded SMS, no need for BBM)
Facebook (Twitter + Flickr capabilities)
Garmin Mobile (local search, directions, this is likely my most used app)
Goggle Maps (display traffic patterns, track fam through Latitude)
Google Sync (makes it easy to deal with over a thousand contacts)
Google Voice (international calls for now, still learning its capabilities)
IdeaMatrix (takes the place of the buggy ToDoMatrix and more)
KeePassBB (secrets, secrets, secrets...)
Repligo Pro (retrieval and viewing of saved files is lightning fast)
Repligo Reader (quick, albeit somewhat clunky peek at PDF files)

Removed, though may install again:

Poynt (white page entries were lacking, Garmin over superpages.com searches, excellent movie capabilities)
Opera Mini (used to love it, not so much these days, data entry is simply too bothersome)
ToDoMatrix (throwing tons of app errors for some reason)
PocketDay Pro (only used it for its shortcut key capabilities through the years)

Also using YouMail to email + MP3 w/o Visual Voicemail Plus. Should save on minutes checking voicemail...

Last edited by adamlau; 07-17-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #80
ssj2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Rizzo View Post
I could very well vouch for BBWeather also. There was an issue and they fixed it right away, and for being a free app, it is one hell of a weather app. I see it as a must-have for weather.