Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T
Default Finding Vodaphone Today theme for Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I use the Vodaphone Today theme on my 8700c, and I like it a lot.

I am thinking of going to a Pearl, and don't like the ICON based themes at all.
but, I haven't found a link to the Vodaphone theme.

I go it (I think, remembering to last fall) by installing a Vodaphone OS version on my 8700.

Any guidance welcomed.. search didn't help

Sam
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Never mind.. forgot all the steps..
baseline.. the themes are by default vendor specific (branding setup), but this can be overridden by changing the text file that holds the configuration, blackberry.alx, and then installing IT and the actual theme coding files onto the device)

1. install OS BB mgmt software that came with your phone
2. download the latest device OS package from some provider (vodaphone,o2, cingular, note that forum posts indicate that all the themes definitions and code are IN the OS package for ALL providers, just configured to only show by vendorm for branding purposes)
3. install the device sw to the PC, (so that the mgmt software can load it onto the device)
4. find the blackberry.alx file and vendor.alx files in the device OS file group and rename them to something else (so that you can go back)
vendor.alx will be recreated by the device on startup, this is the one that defines what phone provider is being defined.
5. download the modified blackberry.alx file from one of the BB forums users (JIBI), and put the new file in the same location as the one you renamed, deleted, moved in step 4
6. connect your BB to your PC via USB cable (as I recall bluetooth file transfer didn't/wouldn't work for me on my 8700)
7. use the BB mgmt software to apply the device OS sw update to your device
8. go to the phone Options->Settings->Themes to select the theme you want from the installed set.

Sam
Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Anywhere to get these OTA or by download? For all those Mac users out there or those who would rather not go thru hackin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
Never mind.. forgot all the steps..
baseline.. the themes are by default vendor specific (branding setup), but this can be overridden by changing the text file that holds the configuration, blackberry.alx, and then installing IT and the actual theme coding files onto the device)

1. install OS BB mgmt software that came with your phone
2. download the latest device OS package from some provider (vodaphone,o2, cingular, note that forum posts indicate that all the themes definitions and code are IN the OS package for ALL providers, just configured to only show by vendorm for branding purposes)
3. install the device sw to the PC, (so that the mgmt software can load it onto the device)
4. find the blackberry.alx file and vendor.alx files in the device OS file group and rename them to something else (so that you can go back)
vendor.alx will be recreated by the device on startup, this is the one that defines what phone provider is being defined.
5. download the modified blackberry.alx file from one of the BB forums users (JIBI), and put the new file in the same location as the one you renamed, deleted, moved in step 4
6. connect your BB to your PC via USB cable (as I recall bluetooth file transfer didn't/wouldn't work for me on my 8700)
7. use the BB mgmt software to apply the device OS sw update to your device
8. go to the phone Options->Settings->Themes to select the theme you want from the installed set.

Sam
Old 05-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

there are OTA themes (search here or on google), but none of them are the base themes used by the phone providers. (that I've been able to find)..

most of the OTA themes appear to realy be new backgrounds, with 1 or 2 different layouts..

Sam
Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Too true....

Looking for OTA "Today" themes. So far haven't been able to find any.

Need a good OTA place to get them, AND while we're at it a OSX theme builder app would be a nice thing too.
Closed Thread