BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Rogers Pass
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PP
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Why no "toughened" BB? Dust & Water Resistant etc?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm wondering why RIM cannot/does not produce a hardened or toughened phone that is made of the kind of resins used on the early BBs and with dust and water resistance?

Rogers is now offering three such phones from other manufacturers.

As my BBs are being destroyed by the dust from my job, I may have to drop BB after many years for something else.

Too bad, as I've never found another phone with the kind of logical, user-friendly software that BBs have.

Besides, I like having a QWERTY keyboard.

A trackwheel and a camera with dust and water resistance and of course a speakerphone, would be perfect IMO.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I guess because 99% of customers don't want or need it.

Check out We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com for toughened cases.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Yes, check out otterbox as nj said. I use the commuter on my 9700, and that's very sturdy. If u use the actual full otterbox, its basically body armor
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Rogers Pass

Thanks but this is what it says: "Case NOT protected against water. Will provide some added protection against drop, bump and dust. NOT intended for protection against water intrusion."

Guess it'll be the Samsung B2710 for me then.

LOTS of people looking for dust and water proof phones these days. If BB doesn't want to be part of that market, well OK...
Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Obviously, RIM does not feel that this would be a profitable market for them or they would enter it. That is really the bottom line on why a company does/does not offer something.

To my knowledge, there are no smartphones available in a hardened version, at least direct from the manufacturers. There may be customized available at a high price but I've never looked for one nor would I be willing to pay a lot of money for one.

Last edited by TXLady; 06-22-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Rogers Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
Obviously, RIM does not feel that this would be a profitable market for them or they would enter it. That is really the bottom line on why a company does/does not offer something.

To my knowledge, there are no smartphones available in a hardened version, at least direct from the manufacturers. There may be customized available at a high price but I've never looked for one nor would I be willing to pay a lot of money for one.
All the more reason to make one! Do the people who use them not work in contaminated or high moisture/shock environments?

RIM may not feel this is profitable, but a company also has to look at its whole position in the market. A single product area may not be as profitable as others, or perhaps not even profitable at all initially, but it may also be an area with unusual growth potential. IMO this is one of those areas. Do people with smart phones not work in the trades, or go sailing, diving, kayaking, fishing?

A company should not give up market share and brand loyalty and identification if it wants to grow. Sticking to your profitable niches is a recipe for corporate death, unless no else can do what you are doing, and that sure isn't the case here is it? I won't bore you with all the examples from the past of companies that focussed on their "profitability" at the expense of gaining and keeping market share through meeting consumer demands.

(And DanK. I see the Otterbox you mean now. Maybe I'll get one for the short-term)
Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Perhaps your should address your concerns directly to RIM (as it seems you are very passionate about this). They can be reached at [email address]

Doesn't seem to be much uptake here for this.

People seem to want smaller, lighter, thinner phones. Not chunky hardened phones.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers Pass View Post
Sticking to your profitable niches is a recipe for corporate death, unless no else can do what you are doing, and that sure isn't the case here is it? I won't bore you with all the examples from the past of companies that focussed on their "profitability" at the expense of gaining and keeping market share through meeting consumer demands.
In all seriousness... do you really think that RIM is in jeopardy of "corporate death" due to their failure to introduce a fully ruggedized handheld?
Closed Thread