BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Developers CREATE VOICE DIAL!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

Developers Here our needs and respond!!

Create some automatic voice dialing software for the BlackBerry's. There are many threads for this need. Yes, Verizon and Cingular provide voice services (not perfect) but most of us already pay them enough money. I pay $85+ a month for voice and data. I use a BlueTooth Headset and I would love to be able to speak into it and have it automatically dial.

My BB - 7250
Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

I'm not sure that's possible given the existing API's. Only the 7520 seems to support any kind of audio recording and then all you can do with it is play it back.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
chuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingGuy
Only the 7520 seems to support any kind of audio recording and then all you can do with it is play it back.
eh?

I use a 7520, and have never heard of such a thing... What can you tell me about this mystical feature?

Nextel. Done. |
Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

PinGuy we are not asking for a developer to turn this feature on, we are after RIM making the phones cable of this feature being activated. The other alternative is for it to be tied in to the bluetooth functionality. In either case we need the people or better yet the powers that be listen and do whatever it is necessary. The BB is a great unit as it is and very few of us that have on and use one regularly can figure out how we made do without them to begn with, it is just that voice dialing will just push them over the edge to a newer plane.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I use a 7520 everyday and I have never seen any such feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingGuy
I'm not sure that's possible given the existing API's. Only the 7520 seems to support any kind of audio recording and then all you can do with it is play it back.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

I think shadowlesss wants someone to figure out how to listen for a specific speech pattern through the mic on the device and then try to match it up with a previously stored pattern, which would then invoke the dialer to dial the associated number to that pattern.

Allthough I think it would be possible, there are a few things that would have to be figured out... namely, how do you maintain an audio stream from the mic and have it continuously checking patterns. I don't know if it would be possible to gain access to the phone class to the point where you could extend it and throw in some of your own methods to listen and match patterns, and then invoke the dialer.

Invoking the dialer is easy, integration with the existing phone, as well as getting the audio stream from the mic will both be very difficult.

cd.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Allthough I think it would be possible, there are a few things that would have to be figured out... namely, how do you maintain an audio stream from the mic and have it continuously checking patterns. cd.

Easy...when I press the phone button on my BT headset it opens the audio steam and triggers the BB to listen for the voice pattern, then I would like to be able to say someones name that I have set in my BB and have it automatically dial that number........my old Samsung phone had a button on the side that you pressed and then said the name of the person you wanted to dial and it worked great!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy
eh?

I use a 7520, and have never heard of such a thing... What can you tell me about this mystical feature?

Well for now the 7520's only have the API's for it have to wait for someone to write a program to access those API's to actually make it work.
I have been playing around with the sample code that comes with the development kit but haven't figured out programming for the BB as of yet. Hopefully someone will write a program that will be able to access the voice notes API's but since it is only on the 7520's it is a limited group, once other BB's get the API's there will probally be more interested in the program.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
corey@12mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlesss
Easy...when I press the phone button on my BT headset it opens the audio steam and triggers the BB to listen for the voice pattern, then I would like to be able to say someones name that I have set in my BB and have it automatically dial that number........my old Samsung phone had a button on the side that you pressed and then said the name of the person you wanted to dial and it worked great!
Easy as in what? this is easy in that it should work like you say? or you think it's easy to hook into the audiostream when you press the button?

The bb was never designed to support voice invoked dialling... could you imagine saying I have to go home to your girlfriend and the phone dialling 'home' so that your wife hears the last 5 minutes you are spending with your girlfriend? wooo.

I said I think it would be possible, but not done easily. People think that these things magically do what anyone wants, but once it comes down to picking through the limitations it's a bit more of a challenge then people thought.

The code for the actual phone app on the bb isn't part of what RIM gives out to developers, therefore extending the application to allow you as a programmer to hook into it for certain things isn't easy to do.

In the future if I feel ambitious I might give it a whirl, but for now it's not even on the list.

cd.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Easy as in what? this is easy in that it should work like you say? or you think it's easy to hook into the audiostream when you press the button?

The bb was never designed to support voice invoked dialling... could you imagine saying I have to go home to your girlfriend and the phone dialling 'home' so that your wife hears the last 5 minutes you are spending with your girlfriend? wooo.

I said I think it would be possible, but not done easily. People think that these things magically do what anyone wants, but once it comes down to picking through the limitations it's a bit more of a challenge then people thought.

The code for the actual phone app on the bb isn't part of what RIM gives out to developers, therefore extending the application to allow you as a programmer to hook into it for certain things isn't easy to do.

In the future if I feel ambitious I might give it a whirl, but for now it's not even on the list.

cd.
WHAA someone has a temper -

Easy in theory (Ideal State), that it should hook into the audio stream when you press the button...As a programmer in a corporate world myself, I realize that nothing is "easy"..just because it is "IDEAL" does not mean that it can be done easily today but as improvements are made to the BB and headsets in the future this IDEAL State may become reachable...Would it not be possible for the companies/developers to come together and work on a project like this so that when a button is pressed on the headset a signal/trigger is sent to the BB that turns the audio stream on, and that this feature this is important to the customer / adds value? Maybe and Maybe not!

As far as your girlfriend comment....if you are cheating you should be caught! That is why you would first need to hit the phone button to send a signal to start the audio connection which will allow you to say "Home" to auto dial versus just speaking without hitting the button and it dial home allowing your wife to listen in......if you are an idiot and are with your girlfriend, you hit the button and then say Home when talking to your girlfriend, then again you should be caught!

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
corey@12mile

Has nothing to do with temper... you say you are a programmer in the 'corporate world'... write it yourself smartypants.

The girlfriend wife thing could easily be replaced with politicians... who is RIM's biggest client... ummm well... my point exactly.

There is a great possibility for people to get together and do something like this... I know I could do it, but would I rather do this than make money... no. I have a project list that seemingly never ends, which means something like this doesn't get on my list.

All I was doing in the beginning was mentioning a few of the points that people who don't code wouldn't realize, and then mentioing a couple of things that people who do code would need to take into consideration before taking on a project like this.

You should have realized this mr. programming in the corp world. or... are you?

cd.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU HAVE ISSUES, I AM NOT A BB PROGRAMMER-------
Has nothing to do with temper... you say you are a programmer in the 'corporate world'... write it yourself smartypants.

THIS POINT MAKES NO SENSE----------
The girlfriend wife thing could easily be replaced with politicians... who is RIM's biggest client... ummm well... my point exactly.

YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT HAHAHA-----------
There is a great possibility for people to get together and do something like this... I know I could do it, but would I rather do this than make money... no. I have a project list that seemingly never ends, which means something like this doesn't get on my list.

SEEING THAT I WORK FOR ONE OF THE LARGEST COMPANIES IN THE WORLD WITH 10 YRS EXPERIENCE ..UHHH YES I THINK I QUALIFY AS A PROGRAMMER IN THIS CORP WORLD, UNLESS YOU ARE MAKING MORE THAN 100K A YEAR ON YOUR SMALL PROGRAMMING PROJECTS THAT ARE ON YOUR LIST- SHUT IT!------------------

I WILL NO LONGER BE REPLYING TO YOUR IDIOTIC COMMENTS

Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #13
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlesss
SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU HAVE ISSUES, I AM NOT A BB PROGRAMMER-------

THIS POINT MAKES NO SENSE----------

YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT HAHAHA-----------

SEEING THAT I WORK FOR ONE OF THE LARGEST COMPANIES IN THE WORLD WITH 10 YRS EXPERIENCE ..UHHH YES I THINK I QUALIFY AS A PROGRAMMER IN THIS CORP WORLD, UNLESS YOU ARE MAKING MORE THAN 100K A YEAR ON YOUR SMALL PROGRAMMING PROJECTS THAT ARE ON YOUR LIST- SHUT IT!------------------

I WILL NO LONGER BE REPLYING TO YOUR IDIOTIC COMMENTS
oh my eyes
caps lock is bad
and you're a ninny
go away
Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

corey I must say sometimes you do come across as a bit of a mmm how do I say this with out getting in trouble a south bound mule. What we write sometimes is taken very wrong because we cant see the dry sense of humor someone else has. In alot of the post I have read from you its comes across as mainly critisim. never positive.

I would love voice enabled dialing like I had on my I730 I press a button say a name and bam they are being dialed so it is possible. And for a highly used business device like a blackberry I can see where this feature would be a great idea.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Besides no one here is trying to criticize, on the other hand we are always suggesting things that can indeed enhance what is truly already a beautiful tool. Sure enough the technology exist out there, i had it on my V60, I had it on my LGVX4400, LGVX4500, and we can go on and on. So its not even a matter of having to come up with it from scratch, just simply a matter of incorporating it. My LGVX4500 not only did voice dialing but when i added a bluetooth headset for non bluetooth phones, it worked with the headset. Now I am sure that soon enough RIM after reading these suggestions, rather than criticisms or sinic comments that ruffle anyone's feathers, they will decide to add it. But if no one voices their opinions then we do not get heard. Not a hard concept to understand and follow.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #16
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Dawg , Thanks KonTiki. It is nice to see people in the forums that are smart, helpful, and see the big picture. The technology is there, there is no reinventing the wheel here. The BT headset that I have reads in the manual that it will work with your voice activated phones....so it is possible to do this today with other phones just not with the BlackBerry, it is just an EASY matter of adding it to the BB OS in the future to work with the existing technology that is out there today.

Shadowlesss

Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #17
corey@12mile

OK... as I read through this thread, here's the way I understand it...

1. Someone posts that we need this feature.
2. I reply with 'yes it is possible, but some things need to be considered first'
3. Someone posts that it is easy to implement such a feature.
4. I reply with some more 'it's not so easy' and a scenario where the US Gov't may have not wanted this feature.
5. Someone starts jumping all over me, telling me about their programming experience.
6. I reply 'if it's so important do it yourself, obviously they should have the know how'
7. Now I get called names because of whatever reason...

It's as simple as this mr. moneybags...

you say you are a 10yr programmer for this that and the other. DO IT YOURSELF!

You throw out how much money you make... F*** Y**. You are a welfare bum. If you were so good you would have written the software already. Why do you post on here that you want something done when you claim to be programmer extrordinaire?

Then you start throwing temper tantrums... kiss my a**. You aren't worth shit. You talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. I have never seen a post from you helping anyone with a problem. You are just a sorry little leech.

You don't know f*** all.

cd.

Dawg... I have said from the very beginning it is possible, I also listed a few things that would need to be considered. That's all I said. I said it is doable, but not easy. Look where it got me... I try to offer some advice, no bashing, just advice and insight and look what it gets me... I don't see anyone else offering any insight whatsoever on this. So f*** it... neither will I anymore. People can figure s*** out on their own from now on.

Last edited by finch; 07-22-2005 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Questionable language
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Corey all I was stating is that you come across sometimes as being mightier than thou you may not mean it that way but I am on the outside looking in. thats just the way it comes across in writing.

I know you have helped out alot of folks as have many others I was not bashing you in any way nor did i call you any names I was just trying to help you understand what others might be reading. All be it they might be reading something that isnt there.

but to state that someone who just joined the forums isnt worth anything that he hasnt helped anyone is wrong in itself. Shadowless only has 20 post since he joined in july so give the guy a chance to help someone before cussing him out.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #19
corey@12mile

I can understand that Dawg... but take this into consideration. Here's someone who has 10 years programming experience, who makes more money than everyone else, asking for someone to write some code.

Maybe it's just me, but when I need something coded, that is 'easy' as per this person, I would just write it myself. This person claims to be so great, yet can't write something that is 'easy' in their opinion. People like this deserve whatever they get. He goes and starts picking apart my posts and calling me an idiot, when he is the one who is obviously full of shit. My first post in this thread was like I said... can be done, but here's some things to consider first.

My second post was just trying to get clarification on the usage of 'easy' and what this person thought was easy about it. I gave an scenario with the note of the largest customer of RIM's, who is also the reason there are no card slot nor cameras on the phone.

Sometimes I get really sick and tired of people who buy a business class device, knowingly, and then ***** about the non consumer oriented features of the phone. Go buy a treo if you want a toy. I want something secure, always connected, and durable.

cd.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I understand the business class device issue, however its being marketed to the general public now too as a substitute for the treo. I for one cant stand palm and I love my nextel so for me it was a no brainer I know it has its limitation but its getting better due to some hard work by people in this forums and the folks at rim. so maybe we can all get want we want by asking.

I know nothing of programming so I cant comment on how hard anything is. I wish I knew how to do alot of things i see people talk about on here, but hey I can build a multi story building and some cant so I guess we all have our nitch..
Closed Thread