Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Minot

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Two questions from New Bold User

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my Blackberry Bold 9700 two days ago. I really like it. I am upgrading from an 8310 Curve. I have been able to get all of the functionality I want. My mail, web browser (Mini Opera 4), and home Wifi are all working on the phone. But I have two questions that I need some expert help with:

1) How do you turn off the clicking sound whenever you use the trackpad?

2) Does leaving Wifi on all the time significantly reduce your battery life?

The clicking is the only thing driving me nuts with the new phone. But I am sure there is a setting to turn it off. I just haven't found it yet. The Wifi power question is just whether I should leave it on all the time. I'll auto-connect when I get home after work each day and it will stay on Wifi until I leave the house the next morning (or run out). Can I leave it setup with Wifi on all the time or should I only turn it on when I'm using the phone to web browse at the house?

Thanks all in advance for your expert advice.

-MINOT-
Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
forzahibs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minot View Post
I just got my Blackberry Bold 9700 two days ago. I really like it. I am upgrading from an 8310 Curve. I have been able to get all of the functionality I want. My mail, web browser (Mini Opera 4), and home Wifi are all working on the phone. But I have two questions that I need some expert help with:

1) How do you turn off the clicking sound whenever you use the trackpad?

2) Does leaving Wifi on all the time significantly reduce your battery life?

The clicking is the only thing driving me nuts with the new phone. But I am sure there is a setting to turn it off. I just haven't found it yet. The Wifi power question is just whether I should leave it on all the time. I'll auto-connect when I get home after work each day and it will stay on Wifi until I leave the house the next morning (or run out). Can I leave it setup with Wifi on all the time or should I only turn it on when I'm using the phone to web browse at the house?

Thanks all in advance for your expert advice.

-MINOT-
1) menu...setup......options....screen/keyboard........audible roll and set to mute

2)I have mine on all the time and am happy with battery life
Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
ftl900

Model: 9000

Depends a bunch on how often you use wi-fi, and how hard you are on your battery. If you have wi-fi and BT on all the time, it will make a noticeable difference vs. having them both off all the time.

There are aftermarket apps that will turn each on or off for you based on your GPS location, so when you arrive home, wifi is turned on, and when you leave, it's turned off. But if battery life isn't a problem, I'd smile and leave it all alone.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

On the Wi-Fi vs. battery issue, yes Wi-Fi is going to drain it alot faster. Although "alot faster" on a 9700 is still pretty good battery life. I find the easiest thing to do is to program my left side button to activate the wireless settings window. This allows me to very quickly and easily turn Wi-Fi on when I know I am in a location where there is Wi-Fi access (like my house or Starbucks), and turn it off when I leave. Takes less than 5 seconds to manually turn it on or off this way. That allows me to avoid having to install an additional GPS locationsearching application. With Wi-Fi off most of the time, my battery life is so good on the 9700 that I don't even think about it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Minot

Great! Thanks for the inputs. I was able to get my 9700 fully running as I want it within 3 days of getting this. I am very pleased with my upgrade so far.

-MINOT-
Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Minot

Default Green LED Issue

Well this is odd... all of a sudden yesterday I started getting a blinking green LED. I assumed this was due to low battery as my phone was below one battery bar. So I recharged the phone. It is now fully charged and the LED is still blinking. I looked through all my email and messages. I don't see any alerts I am missing.

What does this green LED mean and how can I turn it off? Thanks!

-MINOT-

***UPDATE***
I figured it out. I had turned on the wireless coverage indicator when I was troublshooting getting the LED to blink when I got new mail. That was just an issue of adjusting my profile settings. I must have changed the access area setting and forgot to change it back.

Last edited by Minot; 05-27-2010 at 05:45 AM..
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minot View Post
Well this is odd... all of a sudden yesterday I started getting a blinking green LED. I assumed this was due to low battery as my phone was below one battery bar. So I recharged the phone. It is now fully charged and the LED is still blinking. I looked through all my email and messages. I don't see any alerts I am missing.

What does this green LED mean and how can I turn it off? Thanks!

-MINOT-

***UPDATE***
I figured it out. I had turned on the wireless coverage indicator when I was troublshooting getting the LED to blink when I got new mail. That was just an issue of adjusting my profile settings. I must have changed the access area setting and forgot to change it back.
See this is odd. Because what i noticed, is when we set up all at&t BlackBerrys, the green service light is always blinking. but on verizon, sprint, and tmobile that is never the case. Same with the clicking thing. its sort of odd.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

The blinking green light is the "coverage" indicator - you can turn that off or on in the same place you turn off and on the trackpad click noise. Just set "LED Coverage Indicator" to off. I have mine off as I know I always have coverage and it saves (albeit minimally) battery life.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
yoAlbby

Carrier: T-Mobile

Is there any way of changing the light colors for different alerts?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
kart3r

Carrier: Vodafone Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoAlbby View Post
Is there any way of changing the light colors for different alerts?
You can go to AppWorld and look for BeBuzz, it does what you want. It has both free and premium versions.
Closed Thread