Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Wtf! EZ is personally angry about this! How can flying the American flag on an appropriate flag be aesthetically unappealing?

This man was awarded the congressional medal of honor, fought in thre wars to defend the very freedoms we enjoy and he can't fly the symbol of our nation?

F-you home owners association

This guy has his own wikipedia page because his efforts in combat

judging by the comments left in the below article he has much support
He certainl has this Marine Veterans support

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/90yearold-medal-honor-winner-battles-keep-flag-pole.

Last edited by ezrunner; 12-03-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

link is broken.

That is pitiful. The homeowner's association should be charged with raising and lowering the flag each day at sun and sun down for the hero.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

That is absurd that he cannot fly the American flag. Absolutely absurd!

Here's the link: Richmond WWII vet gains supporters in flagpole battle | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

This kind of stuff just pisses me off. Even if its technically not allowed, they should just live with it out of respect. The guy isn't going to be around much longer and seems like he's earned the right to a little leeway.

Yeah I know if you don't enforce it, you open the way for other people to ignore the association rules, but is that the side to be on? Forcing an elderly Medal of Honor winner to take down his flag?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
craig3010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000, answers to HAL)

This pissed me off just reading the headline the other day. WWII Vet. Medal of Honor, no less. He could take a whiz in the bushes when he gets his morning paper for all I care, he's EARNED the right to do whatever he damn well pleases as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't have very many years left as it is, treat him like the hero he is.
Can't we just take up a collection to send him a supersized flag, say 100'x50'?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
dmead

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

you brought up an interesting point there monkeypaw. on the one hand you have a man who's more than earned the right to do whatever the f%##@ he wants. on the other you have the HOA who has in their bylaws/rules/whatever he signed the verbage that states no flagpoles in the front yard. what do you do? if the by laws also state you can't paint your house bright orange then who's to stop someone from doing that if they let the old vet keep his flagpole.

this argument isn't about the american flag at all really, it's about whether or not some one is allowed a flagpole in their front lawn. i am pretty sure that the HOA allows some way to display the flag but from what i have manged to find on the news topic a permanent flag pole in the ground isn't one of them.

would i give the old vet a break? hell yeah! would i give the old codger down the street a break if he chooses lime green for his shutter paint? well now i have a problem. how to accommodate the both of them. you simply can't.

now don't get me wrong HOA laws rub me wrong no matter how you look at it. however if you buy into a neighborhood with them then well there really isn't much you can do. you could have bought elsewhere. Or you take it to the press if you feel you are really being wronged. as is the case here.

this man fought for real freedom. the kind of freedom we can only dream about these days. he'll prevail in one way or another i have no doubt, because he fought a fight many years ago that threatened more than his right to cement his front lawn. he brought down the very face of evil in ww2.

whether he is forced to remove a pole from his lawn or he gets to keep it, he has done more fighting in one hour of his life than ANY one has done in the last 25 years.

/rant over
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Not a fan of HOA's you buy a house and land and you are restricted to what you can do on your own property!
Lived in one once as a renter and we were told that we couldn't park in the driveway vehicle had to be in the garage! WTF
What is a driveway for? So we parked on the street which upset them but not much they could do as the roads were city property!

What really irritates is that they say the flap pole in unaesthetic. To me that is purely subjective or their opinion!
I think it is beautiful particularly when the flag is flying upon it!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
this argument isn't about the american flag at all really, it's about whether or not some one is allowed a flagpole in their front lawn. i am pretty sure that the HOA allows some way to display the flag but from what i have manged to find on the news topic a permanent flag pole in the ground isn't one of them.
This.

Vets haven't just earned their own freedom, they earned everyone else's as well. That's one of the cool things about being a vet.

Like it or not, this guy's service also bought permission for the HOA to act like b***ards (sorry). Past service to one's country is no excuse to break a contract, which is essentially what his HOA membership is.

A wise HOA that wanted to attract good families to their neighborhood would give this man a pass. Because they won't do that, they won't have that opportunity. The only people who will want to live there now are people who care more about the appearance of homes than about the people who live in them. Not a place I'd choose to raise my family, that's for sure...

I'd say they've done the very thing they were trying to avoid: driven down the value of homes in the neighborhood.

Last edited by kathrynhr; 12-04-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Closed Thread