BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
gbvetracer

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon
Default calls go straight to v-mail???

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone had a problem where you cant get calls... they just go straight into v-mail? Also, under the "phone" icon, I dont see incoming numbers, only out-going numbers?? Thanks for any comments!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
thegallier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

I have that with Verizon. Happens when data mode is active (email or im).
Old 06-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
gbvetracer

Model: 8703e
Default so if I.M. or e-mail is active, the phone wont work?

I never heard of "data mode" .... are you sure? That would mean the phone is NOT multi-task capable.. if the phone doesnt work JUST because data mode is active, what good is it?????
Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

I have Nextel 7520. When I am browsing or emailing and I get a call, the call comes in and prompts to "Answer". Mine does not go voice mail b/c of being in data mode. I have had calls go directly to VM at times, and it is aggravating, especially when you are waiting for someone to call you back ... your stareing at your phone, and you get a voice mail message instead of the call. When in data mode, I don't think someone can DC to me. I have been in data mode, and someone try to use the DC to me, and they said that their Nextel phone said "user in data mode".
Old 07-01-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have same thing KMB on my 7520 it has happened quite a bit lately
Old 07-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
cchatagnier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo

Sprint/Verizon and all other CDMA carriers have that problem. It has nothing to do with the device itself. It's the network's abilities, or lack thereof to prioritize voice calls over data. GSM is better at pausing a data session to allow a call through. The current wireless technologies do not support simultaneous voice and data connections...it's either or at any one point. When you're on a call, you cannot send or receive email or run any other data programs during that call.

Looking into the future, this will be supported, but don't hold your breath. UMTS, which is what Cingular is trying to figure out, will offer that ability. CDMA EV-DV will offer that, but that standard will not even be completed until 2006 or 2007 at the earliest...if it ever does get created. Keep in mind that just because the network may be able to support it, devices will need the same technologies built in. I wouldn't expect this functionality until several years out.

Sorry if I get a little "geeked out" here, but rest assured that you're not the only experiencing this. It is something that everyone using a converged device has experienced at one time or another. That is one of the reasons I carry two phones...a regular cell and a BlackBerry and use the BB for voice/data, but if I'm on a long conference call, I use the regular phone so I can still send/receive emails and access corporate data.

Current - 8700g TMO
Previous - 7280 AWS, 7730 TMO, 7290 TMO
Long ago - 950 model (still have it)
Old 07-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
malibu

Model: 7290
Default solution

could it be the phone set under profiles to do not disturb option
Old 07-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
McD

Model: 7100g

You do not say which version of the Blackberry you are using, but this may apply to you, as far as the logging of phone calls is concerned. Go to your phone screen (press the green button once if you are unsure how to get into the phone screen), then press in on the thumbwheel. Click to options, then Call Logging. There you will be able to specify what, if anything you want logged in your call log.

As far as the calls going right to voicemail, as someone else suggested, I would look under your active profile, then Phone, and see if do not disturb is currently on. If it is, all calls will go right to voicemail.
Closed Thread