Carrier: is Better than BB :)

looks that way to me as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

ok so i am going to open the proverbial can of worms here...

i don't think there should be any special circumstances invoked for "hate crimes". if you assault/murder/maim/degrade someone then the punishment should be what it is.

perhaps we as a country need to get off our sorry empathetic asses and make the punishment fit the crime. if you murder someone then make the punishment fit the crime. no added BS because the person was a minority or homosexual. murder is murder no matter what color or preferred gender.

my .0255 worth
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I think the rationales is the motive. Some of the hate crimes may be more heinous than those for material gain.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

It is a crime regardless
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post

i don't think there should be any special circumstances invoked for "hate crimes". if you assault/murder/maim/degrade someone then the punishment should be what it is.

perhaps we as a country need to get off our sorry empathetic asses and make the punishment fit the crime. if you murder someone then make the punishment fit the crime. no added BS because the person was a minority or homosexual. murder is murder no matter what color or preferred gender.

my .0255 worth
I agree with you in principle but there has to be a federal oversight for some crimes. I'm no lawyer but I think that in some areas an assault can result in very little punishment. So I think you need the oversight to make sure that people committing "hate crimes" do not get minimal punishment because of where the crime is committed.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post

my .0255 worth
I agree with you completely. I am concerned about someone's motivation only when we're talking about rehabilitation and future crime prevention. When we're talking about punishment for breaking a law, motivation should not be a factor -- with the sole exception of defense against another's illegal behavior. Otherwise: either you killed someone or you didn't. Either you broke into someone's home or you didn't. Either you stole or you didn't. Either you jaywalked or you didn't. &c.

It drives me crazy when people plead insanity to things. Of course they're insane! Sane people don't go around killing, raping, taking hostages, whatever. I don't care how sane they are, I care whether or not they're free to be crazy (or not) on the street after behaving that way!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Well look at it from the other end. If someone assaults another individual based solely on lets say their race or sexual preference is it just simple assault? Felony assault? If the person has done it in the past does that matter? Major differences in the sentence if any.

your right though, a crime is a crime. I think the problem to me is that too many of these situations get swept under the rug and treated as just another assault or murder when there is a deeper issue.

Last edited by test54; 09-17-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Well look at it from the other end. If someone assaults another individual based solely on lets say their race or sexual preference is it just simple assault? Felony assault? If the person has done it in the past does that matter? Major differences in the sentence if any.
If the person has done it in the past, yes, I think it should matter. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior that judges have available. Also, clearly someone has not learned his lesson if he is continuing to offend.

If I get assaulted, as the victim I don't give a flip whether it's because they don't like women (or because they were abused as a child, or because they were having a bad hair day, etc.). Heck, if you catch me on the wrong day, I don't like women. It does not and should not matter, when passing out sentences, why someone chose to break the law.

Seperately, I think we need less focus on punishment for non-violent crimes, and more focus on restitution and on rehabilitation. But that's another debate entirely.

Quote:
your right though, a crime is a crime. I think the problem to me is that too many of these situations get swept under the rug and treated as just another assault or murder when there is a deeper issue.
I guess I feel that deeper issues are the province of therapists and theologians. Our legal system is simply not equipped to deal with all those varying shades of gray.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

This article angered me as I read it. This guy is a monster as mriff stated. I find it appalling that in this day and age people commit crimes against other individuals of a different race, gender, or sexual preference. These are all things people have no control or choice over. I didn't choose to be Caucasian, I didn't choose to be male. So how could I possibly hate someone of a different gender or race when they had no choice either? This is something I never have and never will understand.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
angelbear1973
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
I agree with you in principle but there has to be a federal oversight for some crimes. I'm no lawyer but I think that in some areas an assault can result in very little punishment. So I think you need the oversight to make sure that people committing "hate crimes" do not get minimal punishment because of where the crime is committed.
Do you want gov control on everything ge whiz come on. A crime is a crime is a crime. Death needs to be punishable by death. If you rape someone your testicles need to be removed. The blleding hearts of this country are the reason we have monsters like this in the first place
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
dmead

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!

I dissagree with the last sentence above. I believe there have always been monsters, the difference now is we have wall to wall media coverage of the monsters.

it is the interpretation of the 8th amendment that you can pin on the bleeders.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear1973 View Post
Do you want gov control on everything ge whiz come on. A crime is a crime is a crime. Death needs to be punishable by death. If you rape someone your testicles need to be removed. The blleding hearts of this country are the reason we have monsters like this in the first place
State / Local government is still government.......thanks though.
A criminal is a criminal but a habitual criminal is even worse.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
angelbear1973
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
State / Local government is still government.......thanks though.
A criminal is a criminal but a habitual criminal is even worse.
And your federal oversights are the ones letting these criminals go.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear1973 View Post
And your federal oversights are the ones letting these criminals go.
Yeah, that's the problem....
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #17
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

isn't one way to remove racism is remove the labels?

Don't get me wrong, a crime is a crime, hate crime, w/e the case may be, but these titles are stupid.

heres, lets take a look

guy: you dumb wh**e(sexist)
girl: you wetback (racial)
guy: S**t (sexist)

now to nitpick this is really moronic.

violence fine, hate crime, give me a break, i think Generation X killed racial slurs, since they are used in every day music, tv etc.

and for something like this, also puzzles me, since were all "seen" as equal, why do we draw / segregate this into racial motives, over what can be just Generation X.

Edit: whats next calling a fat kid fat a hate crime now too....
Closed Thread