BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
phoenixlee

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telkomsel
Default Re: Phone won't turn on, flashing red light sequence, PC won't detect it

Please Login to Remove!

had this same problem using my old Huron. somehow i solved it using this method (pls note it may not work for Bold)

i took the battery out of the unit (turn it off first), then i connect the unit with the usb cable to my laptop (leaving the bay opened and battery put away). the charging led should lit red. leave it for few minutes (mine for 10 minutes). later i disconnect the unit from usb cable and put the battery in. i try to power it on, and voila! it worked.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
zecis

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2
Default Re: Phone won't turn on, flashing red light sequence, PC won't detect it

Same problem again here.... the computer recognises the BB but won't talk to it because it says the battery is dead (it's not dead) or the BB is resetting.
The problem is it never resets - it stays on the white screen for around 90 secs, then goes dead for another 20 secs or so, then the red light for around another 20 then back to the white screen.
I searched somewhere on this forum and there is a thread that says it is the USB connector that has disconnected.

As the BB is dead I've had a look, the USB connector looks to be fine, but there is a hair thin wire from it that is trailing - however what it is meant to be connected to (if anything) I have no idea!!!

Any ideas??

Thanks
Adam
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
stormydog

Model: bold
Carrier: o2

any news here ? i have this problem on my bold too now ! what is the pin number i should be using on the bb device manager ?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #24
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

I do believe that the default pin # is 9999 if that doesn't work try 0000

Those are the only two I have ever used - mind you that was when connecting to a BT device..but I would think the same principle goes for this..??

I have a cpl of 9000's .. and one of them also exhibits these symptons...will try BB Techs method - see what happens.

stk
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

steakman, nope. its asking for the PIN number of the device, like the one you have in your profile, not a passcode pin number.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

hmm. Well here I am with exact same issue. Dead phone. Switched fully charged battery out of personal 9000 and put it into daughters..get single red - 3 red - single and then dead. First 2 times phone connects to laptop...then disconnects in seconds. I pull battery and plug in with usb...zero action - no led .. nadda. Disconnect usb, put battery back in .. now nadda ... connect to 'puter .. voila "ding" and red continuous light for 5 seconds then deadsville.

Damned phone is less than 6 months old and Rogers, of course, will not honour jack. Seems daughter took phone with her into bathroom, put it on counter well away from shower while she showered...apparently that is the only way I can figure the tell strip truned red.

stk

Last edited by steakman; 01-21-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
geek

Carrier: CSL

I hope i can help some of you out here who are experiencing right now with flashing red light and black screen. i just recently solved this problem today as i also experienced this red blinking LEDs and no display at all after i connected it to Desktop Manager doing the update. so here are the steps i did.

1. Try to pull out the battery and insert it again
2. If nothing happens, just leave the battery inserted with the red light blinking then press simultaneously on your key pad the ALT, SHIFT/aA button and DEL
3. If nothing happens again, then try to press again ALT, SHIFT/aA button and DEL twice in simultaneous motion (this is the HARD RESET for BB phone)
4. Pull out the battery after doing the reset
5. Connect your phone (without the battery) to your pc with the usb cable, wait until the red light appears again and for your pc to detect it.
6. Open your Desktop Manager, it will pop up an error message just press ok or retry.
7. Your device manager must detect your phone with a label of USB: Blackberry-0 (it will not show your phone's model for the mean time coz you did a hard reset)
8. On your Desktop Manager, you must see Device Connected (PIN): Blackberry-0, then go to Application Loader then Update Software.
9. During the Initialization of JV, you will be prompted to connect your device/phone although it is already connected, DO NOT REMOVE THE USB CABLE, just insert the battery then press retry.
10. Then you're done! it must continue load the necessary OS and files then wait for atleast 30 mins to finish the restore. you must see a loading bar with blackberry logo in your device after you inserted the battery and press the retry.

I hope this will help you guys. This is just my own method and i didnt even search the net for help. anyway im a techy lady and knows few tricks and just want to share it here. cheers!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
geek

Carrier: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBnoober4388 View Post
Hi guys, i have a similar problem but a little different. My bold doesn't want to start up also. I get a "PING" sound when i plug it into my computer, but it gets the disconnect sound shortly after, instead of a series of on/off's from the led i get a steady 6-8second long on-light, then it disconnects and shuts down. Sometimes the phone will look like it's going to boot up but goes to a blank screen and then shuts down shortly after without getting past the blank screen. I tried the process shown on the second post, i downloaded the OS, i got into the app loader and found my phone as an "unknown pin", ive even gotten far enough to select the OS and applications to load, then i'll get about half way through the install until i get to the "wait for device initialization" where it says "reconnecting to JVM" then i get a connection prompt that says "application loader was unable to connect with your device, please reconnect etc"

Please any help will be great!!
I hope i can help some of you out here who are experiencing right now with flashing red light and black screen. i just recently solved this problem today as i also experienced this red blinking LEDs and no display at all after i connected it to Desktop Manager doing the update. so here are the steps i did.

2. If nothing happens, just leave the battery inserted with the red light blinking then press simultaneously on your key pad the ALT, SHIFT/aA button and DEL
3. If nothing happens again, then try to press again ALT, SHIFT/aA button and DEL twice in simultaneous motion (this is the HARD RESET for BB phone)
5. Connect your phone (without the battery) to your pc with the usb cable, wait until the red light appears again and for your pc to detect it.
6. Open your Desktop Manager, it will pop up an error message just press ok or retry.
7. Your device manager must detect your phone with a label of USB: Blackberry-0 (it will not show your phone's model for the mean time coz you did a hard reset)
8. On your Desktop Manager, you must see Device Connected (PIN): Blackberry-0, then go to Application Loader then Update Software.
9. During the Initialization of JV, you will be prompted to connect your device/phone although it is already connected, DO NOT REMOVE THE USB CABLE, just insert the battery then press retry.
10. Then you're done! it must continue load the necessary OS and files then wait for atleast 30 mins to finish the restore. you must see a loading bar with blackberry logo in your device after you inserted the battery and press the retry.

I hope this will help you guys. This is just my own method and i didnt even search the net for help. anyway im a techy lady and knows few tricks and just want to share it here. cheers!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
amit9000

Model: 8230
Carrier: RELIANCE
Angry Re: Phone won't turn on, flashing red light sequence, PC won't detect it

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post

Not Work for me ....
maybe some hardware fault.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #30
wiiwee

Model: Bold
Carrier: att

Ok guys, I just had this exact problem tonight (Failed Bold 9000 software update, phone went completely dead and only had blinking red LED). Could not get blackberry desktop manager to recognize it. JL Cmder method didn't work as well, even after trying it at least 6x. If NOTHING has worked for you guys as was the case with myself, then try this below method, it will probably work.

Sorry for posting this huge post, but it won't let me post URLs' yet, it's actually copied and pasted from a link from a thread on here I found from 2008. I'm not sure if it matters, but I had my battery in the entire time. After the JL Cmder method didn't work, I was ready to write a check to my GF for a new phone b/c I was stumped. Thanks to this message board though, it's 100% fine now

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe
From BlackBerryFAQ

* Note: If you are connecting via a USB HUB then these instructions may not work. Try connecting via USB on a PC that is not using a HUB

Pre-Install Tasks

1. Disconnect the device from the PC

2. Download and install Desktop Manager and the Handheld OS to the PC (if they have not already been installed): (you need to download the blackberry OS from RIM, I can't post URL's yet though) If you download desktop manager without downloading the OS it won't work. Also have to install the OS onto your computer once you download it, can't just load it directly into your phone from apploader.)

Command Line Tasks

1. Start a Command Prompt in DOS from the PC (Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt)

2. Change the directory to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

* If you do not know how to navigate to this directory follow instructions in 2a)

2a)

From C:\ prompt type:

cd \Program Files <hit enter>
cd Common Files <hit enter>
cd Research In Motion <hit enter>
cd AppLoader <hit enter>

3. Make sure Desktop Manager is not running

4. Connect BlackBerry to the PC

5. Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window:

loader.exe /nojvm

Installation

1. The Application Loader Wizard window will open

2. Click on Next

3. You will get a drop down list with the COM ports and one USB port entry

4. Select the one which says USB:UNKNOWN

******(MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!)****** If you do not see USB:UNKNOWN or USB:BBPIN, then follow instructions listed in a1-a5:

a1) Disconnect the device from the PC.

a2) Keep the Application Loader Wizard window open

a3) Remove the battery and put it back

a4) While the red led is on, reconnect the device to the PC. The led will only stay on for a few seconds

a5) When USB:UNKNOWN appears in the drop down list, you need to immediately select Next

5. The loader should now connect to your device and you will be able to reinstall the OS

Last edited by wiiwee; 04-09-2011 at 02:18 AM..
Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #31
carib

Carrier: bmobile

hello, bb9000 fell off bed and has not powered up since. when battery is inscerted- red light stays on for about 10 secs then goes to a four blink sequence then pause then four blink etc

tried another battery- didnt work

tried this forum suggestion- is making connection sound but not connecting to desktop manager
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #32
christienjanson

Model: 8900C
Carrier: vodaphone

I am having the same problem. The phone stopped during a software update , and then became undetectable. ( no 'ping'of the usb ports)
The phone is not detected so when i try to fix it via the application loader i also get stuck at the selection of the communication port. Some of you did get past this point ; please how did you do that?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #33
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well this is my second time here on this thread. the first time we cannibalized 3 phones to make 2 good ones. the spare is still good and just now re-charging in case the re-loading of the app software does not finish...but so far so good.

I would like to know what it is that causes these issues.? Is it simply software that gets corrupted after a certain amount of time or is this hardware related...or a combination of both..??
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well...its been 4 months since we cannibalized 3 9000's to get two good ones, and today i get the 4 blinking red LED series. it took me one attempt to update and re-load the software (I went from 4.60 to 5.00 mind you), and it seems the phone is back...at least it is going thorugh a normal re-boot..,.so Far.??

I think maybe I spoke too soon, damnit.!!
Seems to be 3/4 way through re-boot and now stopped..??

..oh..its going again.

man this painfull watching the progress bar.!!
cmon, cmon, cmon........

cmon...just a teeney lil bit..?...please, pretty please...?????

EUreka..!!!! we is back.. Awesome.!

stk

Last edited by steakman; 05-03-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok...so what I did notice is this..Issues since downloading the software version: v5.0.0.900

Cannot send an e-mail reply (Gmail on BIS)

Now why the hell would that be..?? Anyone.?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 AM   #36
charvaklakhia

Carrier: vodafone

Hello all, hopefully I can get some help here

I have a Blackberry Bold 9000. It had been working fairly well. Now the whole phone looks dead, except for the red LED in the corner that flashes once and then again three times, in that sequence over and over again.

I've looked around on the internet and it appears that it may be a problem with the operating system(?) I've tried taking out the battery and reinserting it. Didn't work. I left the battery out over night and reinserting it. Didn't work. I had the battery out all day today and then reinserted it. Didn't work. I have Blackberry Desktop Manager on my computer but my phone won't connect to it. I open the program and it just says "Before you begin, verify that your current Blackberry device is connected to your computer." However, it won't connect at all.

I have also tried to go straight to the AppLoader. It won't work either. I open it, press "Next", it goes to the page "Communication Port Selection". Yet, I can't select any connection or press next because the phone isn't being detected AT ALL by the computer. It's as if it's not connected, even though it is clearly connected through the USB port.

I've seen a number of steps that other people have used to try to fix their dead phones. However, they always seem to have some process to do with AppLoader or the Desktop Manager (which are not working for me).

Hopefully someone out there has some sort of trick or suggestion, or knows something I may be doing wrong or have overlooked in my frustration. Thanks a Lot!

Pls Pls Help Me out SomeOne.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #37
blackberryperry

Model: 9800
Carrier: rogers

Hey! howz it going guys? New to the site and been reading up on the 4 blinking lights problem. I am having the same issue with my 2 Bold 9000's and was excited to hear that Steakman got his issues resolved. Dude, how did you resolve your issue. What program did you use? any tips? I really don't want to toss the phones if I don't have to....
Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #38
pevc

Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post

Hey, Im stuck at Step 5, my pc still wont detect it. What can i do?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
pevc

Carrier: Orange

Hi there, i Have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and it turned off, i get the blinking red light, once, three times, once, dead, then the same thing again. Ive done everything posted here, reset doesnt work, hard reset doesnt work, pc wont detect it, apploader wont detect it. i need help someone pleaseee!!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #40
jambrul

Carrier: Telkomsel

Tested on my dead Bold 9000

- Do not plug the phone any time soon.
- Delete current version of Desktop Manager and install v4.6 preferrably without media manager
- Uninstall any Blackberry operating systems on your PC (Windows control panel)
- Re-boot the PC.
- Installed the phone OS I knew my phone had.
- Delete vendor.xml from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
- Re-boot the PC
- Connect phone via usb
- Launch Desktop Manager> Update Applications>START or
- Launch via console "loader.exe /nojvm", then COM1 should appear on the list

If pc can not detect phone>on Blackberry Device Manager on taskbar klik Device Connection.
then activate COM1

- The USB error should no longer appear and the software check list should.

Hope this will Help.
Closed Thread