Old 11-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
EVOSF

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default WiFi not turning on

Please Login to Remove!

New Bold -1st Blackberry.
Setup wifi for my home and office networks. Worked fine. configurations still stored but wifi will not turn on. Go to Set Up WiFi and Scan For Networks and get ! Unable to turn Wi-Fi on. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMobile

battery pull.... Welcome to the forum
What is the 1st step to take if my device is having problems? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
EVOSF

Model: bold
Carrier: at&t

OK, that did it. Thanks! Now I know the re-boot rule. So, when WiFi is detected and active, does the BB default to using that rather than the Mobile network, or do I somehow need to tell it to do so?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
fjrohlf

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

I am having the same problem. Pulling the battery does not seem to work every time. Is there an actual solution to this problem? Is lots of messages on different forums about this problem.

After pulling the battery I sometimes get many message about java.lang errors. For example, NullPointerException. When I get those errors I lose my icons for my e-mail accounts. I think I will stop trying to have wi-fi until there is some update to the OS. This OS seems rather buggy!

Jim
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Tzachi

Model: Bold
Carrier: None Yet
Default I had the same yesterday..

I solved it by removing a font installation that I have done earlier..
problem was solved!.
try to remove the downloads\applications one by one untill you have reached the problematic one.
Another possibility is shortage in memory.
Hope I helped
Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

EVOSF, under Mobile Network options, choose Wi-Fi Preferred as your Connection Preference. This will make the phone default to the wifi connection when available as long as you also make sure that under Wi-Fi Options, Wi-Fi Selection is set to Automatic. Check your phone before calls to make sure wifi is operative, tho, until you know how trustworthy the set-up is. Sometimes for reasons I can't explain the connection goes out and the mobile network kicks in and any calls you make will be counted against your minutes.

Tzachi, it has been my approach, too, deleting apps. However, when it didn't work recently, I reinstalled the OS, which seemed to solve a lot of wifi problems. My BB is working better now and I somehow gained a couple of mg of memory. Definitely worth doing if deleting apps isn't working too well.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
fjrohlf

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Tzachi: was this a font installation on the desktop or the BlackBerry? I have not had a chance to install anything on the Blackberry except some bookmarks and a shortcut icon to go directly to CNN.

newberry52: I don't see any choice to specify wi-fi as preferred under Mobile Network options. It just says AT&T. Under wi-fi connections I do have the selection mode as automatic.

Tonight for some reason it works fine on my home network. I have not made any changes I know of since yesterday when it did not work. Strange.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim