BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #41
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Please Login to Remove!

Also, remember that this forum is dominated by "power users" or people who THINK they're power users, so either way they aren't the core audience for something like bbspell.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #42
W-N
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhut
If your time to setup and maintain a bbCorrector server is worth less than $25 in a year (or you just enjoy tinkering), and you have the skills to properly secure and maintain such a server, and the other bbSpell features are not important to you, then bbCorrector would be a good choice.

There are significant differences between bbSpell and bbCorrector:

1. bbCorrector requires proper installation and configuration of a web application server, exposing it in a secure way through your firewall, and maintaining the server from a security and availability perspective. When using the bbSpell service, this is entirely unnecessary - somedevelopers hosts the bbSpell server in a highly available and secure datacenter.

2. bbSpell has Thesaurus and full Dictionary lookups.

3. bbSpell has a much more efficient UI for correcting messages.

4. bbSpell has custom user dictionaries.

5. bbSpell supports spell checking in English (US, UK, CAN), Spanish, German, and French plus Legal and Medical dictionaries.

6. bbSpell supports SSL for enhanced security.

7. bbSpell support BB OS 3.6 through 4.0. bbCorrector requires version 4.0 (not an issue for most here, but you would be surprised how many users are not on 4.0!)

8. bbSpell service includes free support.
Is bbSpell SSL automatically enabled, or is there something that has to be configured to make it work?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #43
wireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT-TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeford
I'll second that. All of the fees add up after a while. I would love to have the spell checker but I also feel $35 is a bit steep. As you mentioned, just about everything has a cost. I have seen some of the programs as much as $125. No way will I pay for anything with a price tag like that for my BB.
Perfect example is WorldMate by Mobimate. An absolutely great application. They now want $74.95 for Pro and $34.95 per year for standard. Thats again, PER YEAR! But I also have a Palm, PPC 2003 and MS Smartphone. Yes my choice to be Gadget Man but SW expense is just getting outta hand.. Too much for my blood. You just have to make do, and /or use Prooducts like the "Berry" family line of products. Add them all up and they are close to a "WorldMate", and FREE Works for Me!!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #44
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I tried world mate out and I dont see 74.95 worth of program in it especially a year
Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #45
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmo

SSL is enabled in bbSpell by checking the "Use SSL" option in the bbSpell application.

Your device must have the SSL/TLS libraries installed if you are not on a BES. When "Use SSL" is checked for BES users, the data is kept secure between BB and BES via the standard BB platform, and SSL is used between the BES and somedevelopers server.

We released version 2.0.003. It includes:
  • Added licensing to support free BerryTris for bbSpell users (more info soon)
  • Adds German localization (already had German dictionaries)
  • Use system font instead of 7 point font on Thesaurus and Dictionary lookup results
  • Dictionary and Thesaurus can now be used while reading inbound messages
  • Eval period is 3 days unlimitted with no ads
  • Fixed bug for tmobile 4.0.2.32 OS causing wrong spelling correction to be selected (RIM OS bug)
  • Fixed bug in 3.7 devices where reply history text was spell checked instead of actual reply(RIM OS bug)

jeff
Old 07-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #46
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Greenhut:

When did you guys release 2.0.003? How do I check whether I've got it on my spellcheck.?

And what is SSL, please? Not all of us here are "power users"', as Sempei calls all you fully conscious bb guys.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #47
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

2.0.003 was released yesterday. You can check your bbspell version by going to the bbSpell Application, clicking the scroll wheel, and selecting "About". Please note that starting with 2.0.003 there is a pre and post BB OS 3.8 version. The "pre" version will work on >3.8, but you will lose the ability to check the subject of a message.

SSL is a way of encrypting traffic between your BB and the spelling server. IMO, it is not necessary for users that are not on a BES since your email is going to be sent to the recipient unencrypted anyway.

jeff
Old 07-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #48
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Greenhut:
Thanks for your quick reply. "2.0.003 was released yesterday", which means I don't have it. How do I upgrade?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #49
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Uninstall your current version - BB Options (Wrench Icon) -> Applications -> Click bbSpell -> Click Delete.

Then either hit the install link from the email we originally sent you, or visit the following page to have the install email re-sent.

http://www.somedevelopers.com/download.htm

jeff
Closed Thread