BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
panaph0bic

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default 3 questions for Nextel Blackberry 7520...(webviewer & keypad)

Please Login to Remove!

haha so dont flame me if these have been asked before. I've searched for them and haven't found anything posted for what I'm looking for.

1. Webviewer - I understand the concept behind this - basic browser. From what I've read, it was pretty much made for browsers before RIM integrated the online browser in the new 4.0 software. However, I have read misc reports saying it is faster than the built in blackberry browser. Does anyone know anything about this? I find the built in browser to be really slow (yes, i know its limited by Nextel's rough 56k speeds)... but perhaps the way it handles compression, etc. Or if its got a cleaner interface, etc... Just curious to see if theres any point in getting it since i have the built in browser. If some say its somewhat faster than the built in one, and its true, i dont have a problem purchasing it. They don't offer free trials anymore :(

2. keypad - ok heres a stupid question - i dont memorize the letters on the keypad/numberpad. By this, i mean if someone said to call 1-800-HELP-ME or whatever, do i need to guess what number is H, and what number is E, etc... ? i use to be pretty decent with it on my i860, but i still need to look at them when im dialing stuff - havent completely memorized them yet. Just curious to see if theres any on screen dialing that shows these, or if i should just memorize them and stop being lazy ;)

3. IRC client - ive seen sites with free irc clients. However, ive only seen them in jad/jar format, which i dont think works on a blackberry? ive tried OTA transferring them, which didnt work. Ive also tried using the desktop manager and that didn't work either. Anyone know somewhere i can get one that works with my 7520?

also - one more question non-aftermarket software related...ive read some stuff on browsing webpages if you have BES. are there any advantages browsing pages on my blackberry if i have BES? I thought BES just handles email so it gets delivered to the blackberry almost instantaneously. Im using a redirector, and it works perfectly fine...

Any input is appreciated. Sorry for being a noob - just got my 1st blackberry a couple days ago and im still trying to get use to it.

Thanks!

Last edited by panaph0bic; 07-18-2005 at 11:45 AM..
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
panaph0bic

well i just found my answer to the alphanumeric phone #'s....just hold down the ALT/HALF MOON key while dialing, and it will type the letter

just need help on the other ones!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaph0bic
haha so dont flame me if these have been asked before. I've searched for them and haven't found anything posted for what I'm looking for.

1. Webviewer - I understand the concept behind this - basic browser. From what I've read, it was pretty much made for browsers before RIM integrated the online browser in the new 4.0 software. However, I have read misc reports saying it is faster than the built in blackberry browser. Does anyone know anything about this? I find the built in browser to be really slow (yes, i know its limited by Nextel's rough 56k speeds)... but perhaps the way it handles compression, etc. Or if its got a cleaner interface, etc... Just curious to see if theres any point in getting it since i have the built in browser. If some say its somewhat faster than the built in one, and its true, i dont have a problem purchasing it. They don't offer free trials anymore :(Biggest difference for me is the nextel browser is free. I dont do alot of internet surfing so its not a big deal for me..

2. keypad - ok heres a stupid question - i dont memorize the letters on the keypad/numberpad. By this, i mean if someone said to call 1-800-HELP-ME or whatever, do i need to guess what number is H, and what number is E, etc... ? i use to be pretty decent with it on my i860, but i still need to look at them when im dialing stuff - havent completely memorized them yet. Just curious to see if theres any on screen dialing that shows these, or if i should just memorize them and stop being lazy ;)

3. IRC client - ive seen sites with free irc clients. However, ive only seen them in jad/jar format, which i dont think works on a blackberry? ive tried OTA transferring them, which didnt work. Ive also tried using the desktop manager and that didn't work either. Anyone know somewhere i can get one that works with my 7520? I OTA programs all the time and havent had any issues

also - one more question non-aftermarket software related...ive read some stuff on browsing webpages if you have BES. are there any advantages browsing pages on my blackberry if i have BES? I thought BES just handles email so it gets delivered to the blackberry almost instantaneously. Im using a redirector, and it works perfectly fine... BES is the fastest but not cheap

Any input is appreciated. Sorry for being a noob - just got my 1st blackberry a couple days ago and im still trying to get use to it.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
panaph0bic

do you haev a specific irc client that you suggest for me to use?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i dont use IRC but try verichat
Old 07-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
BigJay.Inc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

to answer #2......u can simply hold the key and type the letter u want to call......

for instance to call Best Buy which is probably 800-BESTBUY u can simply type it in just like this from the Phone call screen....800 B-E-S-T-B-U-Y

That will convert the letters to the proper number...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
JesseD
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Default I can only

give advice on the IRC.....I use VERICHAT and I love it....takes up alot of battery but it logs into 4 or 5 different chat formats and it has BOTS ( If you pay about $10 a year. They give directions and movies, flight status etc.
The way you use them is just like a messenger.....I love it...hasnt failed me yet!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #8
wireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: SPRINT-TMobile

I wholeheartedly agree, Verichat has performed Very Well For Me. Reccomend it. But you will pay for it as it runs on a year to year agreement.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
panaph0bic

i use verichat for AIM and love it. i need a good IRC client though - that's something verichat won't do....
Closed Thread