BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
deathbyblackberry

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default How to: Stop Email in the evening and weekends?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone

Please please... can someone tell me how i can setup the BES to not send emails to my phone late in the evening and over the weekends?

Cheers

deathbyblackberry
Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

go to Options and auto on/off. you can set that in there.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
PaCharger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T Cingular

Death,

Jacks reply is correct if you want the PHONE off as well, otherwise, pick up a cheap phone and slip your sim card in for the weekends to remove the temptation of the 48 hour work weekend too.

I find discipline to be easier. After an 11 day Mediterranean cruise I can say I only looked at emails to see if they were from one of my kids or friends we were communicating with. It was hard not to pay attention, but OH SO worth it!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I guess the other semi-option - turn off any sound alerts for email an hide the icon on the main screen. Or I guess you can turn off ALL DATA from Manage Connections, leaving the phone ON.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Here are some ideas. (Some of these are repeats from other posts)

(1) Turn off the phone. This can be done automatically via Options. This is especially good where this is a work BB and you don't want to receive voice calls either.

(2) Create a profile where e-mail messages (at least from work) carry no notification (sound, visual, or vibrate). You'll still get the messages, but you'll won't know they are there unless you look. You'll need to manually switch to this profile (and back again) unless you have (name escaping me right now) which lets you set times on when to activate different profiles.

(3) Turn off data at night/weekends. However, you won't be able to do anything data related.

(4) Look at Rexwireless's AlertMatrix software. I haven't tried it (I suspect I'll like it and I don't want to spend any more money right now), but from what I've read about it, it seems quite powerful and should be able to help you with this situation, as well as others.

(5) Talk to your BES administrator to see if there are options on his end. This is a long-shot, but maybe.

(6) You're using BES, but BIS users can stop messages by going into e-mail setup and removing the e-mail account. A little easier is to just set the password to the wrong thing.

(7) Sigh. You could just deal with it. Train yourself to ignore messages when you're "off." With practice and self-control, maybe you can resist looking. I can't. But maybe you can.

(8) Similar to #2: setup your notification profiles differently for holster vs. not. Use a holster (that has the "holster magnet") when you want to receive notifications and use a case (or simply use no case) that lacks this magnet. This is sort of what I do. During the day, I keep my BB in a slider case that has the holster magnet. I get my alerts via vibration. At night, I remove it from the case and my profiles are set to not vibrate. Again, the messages still arrive, but I don't know that they're arriving unless I look.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

(9) Manually set the default filter to not forward mail. Reverse to resume mail delivery.

(10) Options->Email Settings->Send Email To Handheld -- set it to No when you don't want email.

(11) If you have a PC on the same network as the BES install DM and check the "Disable message redirection while your device is connected" option under Email Settings (and connect the BB when you don't want mail delivered).

2 & 7 are my recommendations assuming that it is important for you to actually receive email the rest of the time. It's too easy to overlook re-enabling email delivery and I haven't seen an automatic solution aside from auto on/off which has its own set of caveats. Surely there's a place you can put the BB and ignore it? That's what I do on evenings and weekends (and vacation).

In any case, surely one of the 11 possible options will work for you.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-04-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

For BES users there is a setting for this on the device. In your Messages list hit the menu key and go to Options >Email Settings and change Message Services to "Desktop." Then set "Send Email to Handheld" to "No."

You can also do it with Email Filters in the same Options menu.

Last edited by John Clark; 06-04-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Closed Thread