Please Login to Remove!

the word is getting out

BlackBerry Pearl won't ring in your pocket - Engadget
Old 09-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #62
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

Ha, finally. Too bad the mods won't edit the title of this thread, it kind of loses some credibility regarding the issue "HeLmP My PHonNE dUN WRING!!11"
Old 09-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #63
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

I find this to be a serious oversight by RIM. I can't believe the device passed beta testing with this issue.

So, I have noticed the opposite happening on level 1 messages. I have filters set for some emails to come in as level 1 with a specific ring tone. When those emails come in I CAN'T stop the ring tone by moving the track bal, the exact opposite of the phone problem. It just keeps playing until it is over.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #64
zyprexa

Model: 7130c

Any word on this problem. I just got the pearl and realized I missed 2 calls while it was in my pocket.

I agree, the final solution should not be a case, but an option to "mute/play ringtone" if the trackball is moved during an incoming call.

This is a huge problem. This phone is meant to be a pocket phone, not something to be put in a holster.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #65
StanSimmons
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

RIM and TMO are aware of the problem(s). I was on the phone with 2nd level TMO PDA/BB support for about 1/2 hour today, then was transferred to RIM support.

Don't expect a fast fix.

I told them about the SanDisk 2GB microSD cards not working, about missing calls due to the trackball, and about the sillyness of not supporting AD2P Bluetooth.... I haven't pocket called 911, yet.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #66
blaze420
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Default Software updates

Rim releases software updates about once a fiscal quarter. It gives them enough time to identify and fix multi problems at once. As already identified for any messages that have specific mp3 ringtones associated will not stop playing at all. tmobile has identified and reported to RIM! I know I'm the one that did it!! (Ssssh) the only logical solution is a sleeper case which is comming just cool your heels! Another option would be assigning these functions to the external volume keys. Which is probably in the works but they are sensitive and same issue can occur. Get a case its a blackberry not a freakin razor!! The smart card support is way more important! The 911 deal is bad though I will escalate that up tomorrow hadn't had that happen yet! Thanks all for being such great beta testers!! Love the comments!!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #67
jasondmilch

"the only logical solution is a sleeper case which is comming just cool your heels! Another option would be assigning these functions to the external volume keys. Which is probably in the works but they are sensitive and same issue can occur. Get a case its a blackberry not a freakin razor!!"

it's the thickness of a razor and is designed to be carried in a pocket, not a case.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #68
wogg

If it was meant to be in a case, wouldn't it come with one like the other blackberrys? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I definitely consider this bug a showstopper, and I hope RIM can see the urgency in this.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #69
nickbee

I've never had a case for a phone.... What's the point?

It sucks that you can also turn the phone off with the keyboard is locked (hold down the end key)... I hope these problems all get fixed in the 1st software update...
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #70
ediamond

Carrier: T-mobile

I'm with the "I don't want a case" crowd. It seems to me this could be easily solved if the call mute was something the user could turn off, or map to the camera key when the call was incoming. The 911 problem is just dumb. Solve it by accessing emergency call dialog with holding down zero (5 sec.) after a trackball click when the phone is locked.

Better yet, how about dialing 911 with a confirmation dialog box?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #71
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

There's another problem too I've experienced. I lock the phone by holding down * and it comes up with the padlock etc and the screen turns off. Then I press a button, and voila, it's unlocked. Sometimes it just comes unlocked with a single button press. It appears to be random and unreproducable.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #72
dwc

Carrier: tmob

1. "Mute Ringer on Trackball Roll: On or Off"

Yes! this is what's needed.

2. Screw "needing" a case. This is a small device, the point is to keep it that way.

3. I am using my daughter's small wrist sweatband as a slide-on "case" for the time being.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #73
StanSimmons
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just got off the phone w/ RIM. They call this function a FEATURE.

RIMs suggestion is that you put the phone in Standby Mode when it is in your pocket. To do this you press and hold the silver Mute button on the top of the phone. Your phone will still ring and you can answer it. To get out of the Standby Mode, just press the silver Mute button again.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #74
nickbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons

RIMs suggestion is that you put the phone in Standby Mode when it is in your pocket. To do this you press and hold the silver Mute button on the top of the phone. Your phone will still ring and you can answer it. To get out of the Standby Mode, just press the silver Mute button again.
RIM is smoking something. The roller still mutes the ringer in standby mode. LAME!!!! (not this post, RIM)
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #75
jasondmilch

That's simply not true. Try it yourself. Even in standby, if you move the trackball while the phone is ringing, it STILL mutes the ringer.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #76
dwc

Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons

Stan you put the same post in two threads. The post is false for this thread. (May be true in the "key lock" thread, though)
Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #77
ple

Yes...mine still mutes even in standby mode. And after my phone has been in standby mode for more than a few minutes, it begins to respond just as if I had locked the keyboard by pressing * . In other words, it only stays in standby mode for about 4 or 5 minutes, then ...all by itself... goes into key lock mode.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #78
StanSimmons
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oops, I guess I should have tested it instead of taking the word of the RIM guy.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 AM   #79
heespharm

Carrier: cingular

my solution to the problem... was... sleeper case (sorry not so original)

i took an motorola SLVR case and cut off the belt clip (cause i didnt like it) then i cut then sewing on the top side of the speaker hole and slid a disc magnet i cut out of an old cell phone case i had.... pics below

yes ladies and gentleman.. these pics were taken whilst i was on the crapper... bon appetit

edit: i've tested it out tonight... it rings in the case.. and the track wheel isn't moved while sliding it out... so even after i took it out it was still ringing.... i'm thinking of replacing the disk magnet with a strip magnet... maybe a cut up fridge magnet... that way it'll be in sleep all the way until it's fully out of the sleeve... eitherway..very pleased with the result
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	5212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00011.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5214  

Last edited by heespharm; 09-20-2006 at 02:59 AM..
Old 09-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #80
heespharm

Carrier: cingular

yet another silly solution....

i took a motorola screen cleaner/ dangly thingy and opened it up and loaded it with magnets.... next i connected it to the lanyard hole right next to the battery

so when i put it in my pocket, i just stick the back side of the dangle thing on the battery and it sticks putting the phone in sleep mode....

when i take it out of my pocket, i just slide the dangle off the phone and it dangles (as the name implies)

don't know how this solution will handle w/ rough play but it's withstands me jumping up and down

plus you can use the other side to clean the screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00013.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	5215  
Closed Thread