Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Now it really "grinds my gears" to see what RIM is doing with the new AppStore.

RIM must know that they have a very huge market outside of Canada and the USA and I think its just in poor taste (maybe even an insult) for them to be doing this. Its as if we're good enough to buy their product and get their balance sheet looking great, but not good enough to participate in their new venture. And to date they have given no reason for this.

What also bugs me is the fact that you have developers now who are only providing their application via the AppStore (vPost most recent I can remember). So eventually anyone living outside of Canada and the USA, may not be able to get updated applications for their devices.

I wish RIM would make a statement about the AppStore segregation (or if they have someone point me there). It really rubs me wrong when I encounter that message telling me that my device does not me the specific requirements. Its just wrong.

I would like to ask the developers to not do as RIM has done and forgotten about the hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of BlackBerry users outside Canada and the USA and not place your applications only in the AppStore. We are still out there and we still use our devices.

We use to laugh at iPhone users only being able to get stuff on their phone when Steve says its ok. But now it looks like we might be heading in the very same direction.

Please RIM release the AppStore and let us all enjoy it just the way we all enjoy our BlackBerry smartphones. Release the AppStore so that we will all be able to talk about it on our forums and at our water coolers and coffee stands.

Release the AppStore RIM!!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Agreed, there are many many users outside of the US, UK and Canada who could use many of those apps. I understand we will see some expansion in the next couple months, so if patience can be had...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
BB8900awesome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I believe what the issue RIM is facing by doing this into other countries right now is copyright laws, and such. i remember reading that somewhere from a RIM employee. It will take some time for RIM to get all the proper paperwork done to be able to be around the world like that. US, Canada, and the UK right now were the easier for them to do, but dont worry it will come to you soon
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
glopezur
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: COMCEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8900awesome View Post
I believe what the issue RIM is facing by doing this into other countries right now is copyright laws, and such. i remember reading that somewhere from a RIM employee. It will take some time for RIM to get all the proper paperwork done to be able to be around the world like that. US, Canada, and the UK right now were the easier for them to do, but dont worry it will come to you soon
If this is the case then why we are able to buy applications all around the world trough places like Handango and Mobihand. I'm pretty sure that those web sites didn't had to deal with every country's in the world copyright laws. It's pretty different to sell software to sell music. That is why the apple store sells software all around the globe but only sells music in countries that they have an agreement with.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
kirrinjones

JSanders, I agree that we should be patient, but I'm sure this has been over 2 months now, maybe even more, and we're still out "in the cold" with no idea when we will be brought in, and what is making it even more worrying, is that developers are now only putting their updated apps on the AppWorld.

BB8900awesome, I would love to know if you could find that article. Its just strange that a decision like that would not be followed by some form of PR activity so that your users outside of the "promise lands" would know what the reason and logic was behind the decision and have some indication as to when the honor of AppWorld membership would be bestowed upon them.

I just wish we could get something official at least as a start.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
clevebb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint always

Rim will just be like any other cell phone company out there if they keep on copying bad examples. DRM free rocks, RIM has tons of languages, doesn't go crazy about 3rd party software and overall is "user friendly." the app world doesn;'t help anyone out, takes longer to use and gives less freedom to the user.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
JSanders, I agree that we should be patient, but I'm sure this has been over 2 months now,
Hey, I agree with you.

But just for correction's sake, it has been less than two months.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
kirrinjones

less than two months, hhmmmm, I stand corrected, but it still "grinds my gear" JSanders
Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
rjw3000

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Not sure the big hoopla over these app stores anyway. It's been more than easy enough between blogs and sites like this to find good apps and see plenty of reviews and opinions on them. An app store is more to benefit a company and developers than to the actual customers.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Rjw3000, I agree with you on that, however the reason why I'm peeved (as stated) is not that I want to be able to access it for the sake of accessing it, its that developers are slowly putting their new apps and upgraded apps on the app store ONLY. So eventually you will have an issue where you can still get apps for your phone from blogs and sites like this one, but they maybe out-dated, all the new apps are being placed on the app world.

So I was just bringing that to the fore and hoping the mike and his RIM team would be aware of this and hurry to prevent isolation of thousands of loyal BlackBerry users. That's all.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

App World... It really needs some type of BIS correlation to make moving apps from one device to another a heck of alot easier... I've use JL_CMDer twice in 2 weeks and it's a pain installed all my Apps again and again.... and "My World" is empty!!!

:(

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread