Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Motivo

Model: 8350i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Angry 8350i Nextel <Problems with Direct Connect>

Please Login to Remove!

All-
For those of you interested in the 8350i primarily for the direct connect features and would decidedly overlook the problems with slow data network and or text messaging issues, etc...etc.

*********************************BEFOREWARNED***** ********************

I have experienced nothing but problems with this phone being a reliable DC/PTT phone that you can rely on to receive and or deliver PTT effectively.
The issue seems that several times throughout the day this device will go into some kind of sleep mode regardless of NXTL or NXTl or NxTL, which will prevent others from direct connecting your device. It will not under any circumstance start receiving DC/PTT calls again UNTILL YOU TRY AND DC/PTT someone else. Each time the very first try will return a PLEASE TRY LATER, and suddenly the second try will go through and cause the phone to work again for some time.

The PHONE WILL AT SOME POINT GO INTO THE SLEEP MODE AGAIN, and you will not know untill someone either voice dials you and lets you know the DC is not working or you try and DC someone else and get the PLEASE TRY LATER.

I have spent countless hours testing the unit, even carrying two DC/PTT phones to stay up on the issue and know when it does and doesn't do it. The message others users will see when they attempt to DC you is USER NOT REACHABLE A4 or USER NOT REACHABLE A5. If while the device is in the "sleep mode" you attempt to direct connect yourself, as opposed to the USER BUSY IN DIRECT CONNECT message you are supposed to receive, you will get " INVALID DIRECT CONNECT NUMBER" or as one Tier One Voice Tech told me "PLEASE TRY AGAIN 304".

************************************BEFOREWARNED** **************************

IF YOU ARE A HEAVY DC USER - DO NOT EXPECT A RELIABLE DC/PTT DEVICE OUT OF THE 8350i, and NO IT IS NOT A FAULTY UNIT AS THIS IS THE THIRD ONE. IT IS NOT THE ACCOUNT SETTINGS AS WE'VE TRIED EVERYTHING.

I AM INTERESTED IN HEARING HOW MANY OTHERS MAY BE EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEMS? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN A "PLEASE TRY LATER" when trying to DC someone or if anyone has told you that you are Unreachable for several hours throughout the day when you know the DC/PTT should have come through at those hours due to phone being on and full 5 bar coverage.

THANKS -
Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
fldionisi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: 325C8119
Carrier: Sprint

I am a Nextel customer since 2000 and bought the new Blackberry 8350i last December.
I don't have this problem with the PTT. The only problem I have is when I am using my Bluetooth, I can not hear when someone is attempting to DC .
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
jmerritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldionisi View Post
I am a Nextel customer since 2000 and bought the new Blackberry 8350i last December.
I don't have this problem with the PTT. The only problem I have is when I am using my Bluetooth, I can not hear when someone is attempting to DC .
I got around this by setting the right side function/option button to "manage connections" - disable bluetooth when using PTT.

It would be great if I could find a compatible headset for the 8350i (wired preferred) which has a PTT button. Jabra used to make a model (JAB7323R) for Nextel standard cell phones.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Chrisstar2

Default No problems with my 8350i

I've had the 83501 since the day it was released & have not experienced the problems you speak of.......I'm thinking that it may be the area you live/work.........here near Detroit there are a few spots where connecting is a little more difficult, but not enough for me to even complain about. This device works better for me than the Treo & because it includes DC, I'm a WAY happy camper.......this being my first BlackBerry, & the feature set being SO diverse, it taking me awhile to learn how to customize it for my use, but other than that, I'm a BIG fan!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
cougar0018

Model: 8350I
Carrier: Sprint/Nextell

The only issue i ever had was the text issue, my DC worked perfect from day 1.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
zx12richard

Model: 8350
Carrier: nextel

I only had MMS troubles also everything else fine..
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Motivo

I actually learned of another individual who was experiencing the very same issue with his 8350i and turns out that he also was using a 930 with bizessentials prior to making the switch to 8350i.

As this appears to be an exact mirror of the issue and or previous setup I was using, maybe it has something to do with that. I can't grasp why as I did not keep the same sim, but rather activated the one that shipped with the phone. Maybe it is something caused by transferring contacts from 930 sim to the 8350i sim? Who knows, hopefully I am one step closer to resolving.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Don't have that problem at all with my 8350i!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.

Nope. not any DC problems here either... I have multiple Nextel phones on my desk at any given time, most of which are just set up as two-way. I can pick up any one of them at any time and connect with my Blackberry.
I'm thinkin you may have solved your problem, but if not, good luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
talos4

My only problen with DC is everyone keeps calling me on it!

Can't get anything done!

Nextel really needs to address this issue.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
quake809

Default same issues

i have all the same issues with my 8350i. when someone tries to dc me, it says user not reachable A5. nextel has not been able to resolve this. the only time my phone does work is the first 10 minutes after i turn it on. somebody help me!!!!
Closed Thread