Strawberry7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default New BB user - with a few problems! =o(

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All and everyone!! =o)

I am probably one of these people who is going to be a pain and ask a million questions about my new Storm 2.....

Firstly when you reply please will you type in really simple step by step terms as I have no idea how to use this phone yet!!!! Thank you!!!

Ok here goes....

1. I can't open my email attachments, JPEGS, word docs, pdfs etc and wondered how I can set this feature up as it's really important for me?

2. My Vodafone Music Downloads have stopped working when I get unlimited music!

3. Finally (for now!!) I can't get onto my hotmail.com site from my browser, it says that this website type is not compatible or something similar, the browser can not look at this site or something.... and I dont know why, cause I would have thought I can browse any kinda of website?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
=o)
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

1. word docs should open with docstogo. pdf's should open from the email, but once downloaded and saved to the device need docstogo premium, or another 3rd pary pdf reader.

2. talk to vodafone.

3. go to google, search for hotmail. the top listing should be the mobile version (as it recognises your on a mobile). The regular hotmail.com page won't work.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

There is native support for Hotmail. You can just get your hotmail via the regular email client. You don't need to deal with web versions.

1. tap on the touch screen's empty area to expose all the icons.
2. Scroll down to where you see the folder with the green sprocket icon called 'setup'.
3. Tap on the 'email settings'.
4. Click on the 'add' button.
5. Click on 'Windows Live' icon and follow the instructions.

Now for attachments, you need to run Docs2go once.

1. Tap the screen in the empty area to expose all the icons.
2. if you don't see all the icons or are in a folder, you need to reverse out. Look at the four buttons on the bottom of the Blackberry. The second to right most is an arrow which starts on the left and heads towards the right, then turns to go back to the left. This is essentially the 'back' button. Press that until you get to the main area where all the buttons are.
3. Scroll down to where the 'Applications' folder is.
4. In here, you'll see 'Word To Go', 'Sheet to go' etc. Tap on one of those.
5. Accept the terms. You do this by selecting 'Option' key and choosing 'Accept'. The Option key is key with the Blackberry icon on it. It is the key right next to the green phone key on the bottom of the Blackberry.
6. Press the Back key and go into 'Messages'.
7. Find an email with the paper-clip indicating an attachment.
8. Open the message.
9. Click on the attachment
10. A menu opens with several choices. Two of which are Open Attachment and Download attachment.
11. Select 'Open Attachment'

You should be able to open DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, JPEG, PDF, JPG files. You can even save them in the file system so that you can create a new email and attach those items.

On the music issue, talk to the carrier. You can use iTunes if you already have that though. It's what I do on the Blackberry. I have found just about every other solution to be problematic. iTunes with the Blackberry Media Sync is drop-dead easy to use and you can easily manage your playlists from iTunes.

Let us know how your doing. I still remember my first time using the Blackberry. I was so completely lost. None of the icons meant a thing to me. Stick with it. You'll find that the Blackberry makes a lot of sense. Things are not in 5 different places. Once you get past what the icons are for, you'll find this is perhaps the best phone OS ever made.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Strawberry7

Thanks so much for your help everyone. Really Really appreciate it.

Im sure I will get the hang of these awesome phones soon enough, its just the inital set up Im struggling with! I will have a play around now and let you know how I get on!! Thanks so much =o) Especially you Stale Pancake, there was an excellent amount of information there. Just what I need!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Strawberry7

Sorry just quickly, I cant find the "Accept" option when Im in word to go... on my list I have:
Help, New, Open, Clear Recent Docs, Check for Updates, Register, Activate Premium Edition, Try Premium Features, About Word to Go, Show Keyboard, Switch Application, Close ...

Do I need to register mine or something?! Literally switched the phone on yesterday and charged it, so today is my first day of using it, sorry if I seem a little dim and slow! Maybe I should have brought my instruction book to work to pass the time!!! =o)
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry7 View Post
Sorry just quickly, I cant find the "Accept" option when Im in word to go... on my list I have:
Help, New, Open, Clear Recent Docs, Check for Updates, Register, Activate Premium Edition, Try Premium Features, About Word to Go, Show Keyboard, Switch Application, Close ...

Do I need to register mine or something?! Literally switched the phone on yesterday and charged it, so today is my first day of using it, sorry if I seem a little dim and slow! Maybe I should have brought my instruction book to work to pass the time!!! =o)
No, it's been done for you. You could upgrade to premium if you like, which gives you the DataViz version of PDF viewer. But I'd wait just a little longer until you get more familiar with everything. I guess they pre-did this for you. So nothing to worry about, just pretend you already hit accept. Or if you do upgrade it, you may be asked to accept later.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Also, your blackberry will have come with a few little tiny manuals. One of them has a picture of the device with details about what each of the buttons does. I would read over that. It's typically just one or a few pages. It will give you the vocabulary of Blackberry. What the keys are called and what they do. That sort of thing.

After that, just keep exploring until you begin to remember where things are and what they do. There is Setup, and Options for example. Knowing what those do is very helpful. Just keep exploring like crazy. It will all sink in soon. Keep asking questions. All though I'm off to my office so I won't be here, but others will chime in and I will as time allows.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Strawberry7

Thank you!! Much much appreciated!!! Its so nice to have people who help you out on these forums!! Great stuff....

I have done what you have suggested with the file, and the message coming up now is
"The document conversion failed" The image is simple a JPEG image. Nothing fancy!

I have been playing on it all day and night so far....!! Yippee.... My boyfriend has also received his BB Storm2 today aswell so we are going to be a right unsociable pair sitting on these trying to work them out this evening!!!! Fun times though.... Im impressed so far!!
Closed Thread