Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Sefirato
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask God by praying for my PIN :-)
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8320 Continuously Reboots

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I tried the search feature and only got past about a page before I got a headache trying to find the thread that might mention about this. Might as well make a new thread about it if there's already one somewhere down the bottom of the pile.

Here's the tale of woe for my 6 month-old Curve in near-perfect condition except that it was running OS 4.5.0.55 for two, maybe three weeks now. It had been running flawlessly without much issues, and since I'm hearing-impaired, I do not use the phone feature at all - I only use it for data purposes. The only 3rd party applications that I have installed on the phone are: JiveTalk, Google Maps, BB Maps (not really a 3rd party), KA-GLOM, Opera Mini, Telenav and a couple of other apps that I do not remember the name to.

Before I went to bed last night, the Curve was running great, I plugged it into the wall charger right before I went to bed and checked for any mail or IM's before snoozing off and it was working fine.

When I woke up, picked up my 8320, it was on the hourglass screen and then all of a sudden it reboots with red LED as if I had pressed alt, right shift key and delete except I had performed no inputs to the blackberry itself. It continuously reboots every 10 seconds after it does the reboot thing - which means that the phone will not be able to connect to the Desktop Manager. I tried removing the microSD card and checked the contacts on the SIM card and powered the phone without the SIM card and it's still doing the reboot dance every 10 seconds.

I have jl_Cmdr running but I don't know if it will work on a phone that continuously reboots like that. I do have several back-up files for my Curve but I am unable to push them to the device.

Any help will be appreciated. I don't know what to do short of having to call T-Mobile to fix the phone. The nearest T-Mobile store is at least 3 hours away. That can't do. (However, I can always go to an AT&T store in town, but that can't do too!)

EDIT: I think I posted this in the wrong forum by accident - I think I meant to post it in the 8300 Series Discussion subforum but I'll see what happens with this subforum since after all I *am* running beta OS on it.

Last edited by Sefirato; 08-17-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: maybe posted in wrong forum, but will leave it as it is for now
Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Bcaldwell85

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted

Dude, hate to be the barer or bad news... But you gotta take your phone back. I had the same problem with my 8320 (tmobile) hope u have it under warranty.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Have you tried this?

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 08-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
bb_maniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: option>status
Carrier: T-MOBILE

I had the same issue... what i figured out was that it was a Media Card problem...you might have some korrupt files in there... do this, back up ur Media Card to ur PC then go to options>Media Card>Menu>Format card.... hopefuly this helps... it worked for me.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Sefirato

PIN: Ask God by praying for my PIN :-)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I was waiting for you to show up, LOL. You're late to the party, John. The 8320 has been warranty exchanged (as of today, will ship it out in the morning) but I could try it later tonight though if I do that, Tmo might think that the phone is in working condition and then I'll be shafted for the warranty exchange so I won't play around with that. ;) Thanks though, I'll keep this for future references.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
chrisbimmermd

Carrier: T-Mobile / 4.2.2 OS

PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently RIM knows there is an incompatibility with most T-mobile 8320 curves and the 4.5 OS.

After trying everything, I got free tech support from RIM that's normally $50/hr by calling through t-mobile blackberry technical support and requesting it.

The SOLUTION is to reinstall the 4.2.2.180 OS.

That solves the problem, no more constant reboot.

I was soooo mad, especially after 30 hours of troubleshooting (not including sleep).

I have the file on my computer if anyone needs to acquire it; just tell me how to distribute it.

Last edited by chrisbimmermd; 12-10-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's what you got from RIM support??????????????

There is not an incompatibility with OS 4.5 and the 8320. They actually told you this?? The continuous reboots are usually attributed to the media card having a corrupted file. Simply removing the media card and/or formatting it in OS 4.5 will fix the problem.

I have OS 4.5.0.110 on my 8320 and it is flawless. It does reboot once in a while during a long UMA phone call but it's not "continuously rebooting."
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
chrisbimmermd

Carrier: T-Mobile / 4.2.2 OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That's what you got from RIM support??????????????

There is not an incompatibility with OS 4.5 and the 8320. They actually told you this?? The continuous reboots are usually attributed to the media card having a corrupted file. Simply removing the media card and/or formatting it in OS 4.5 will fix the problem.

I have OS 4.5.0.110 on my 8320 and it is flawless. It does reboot once in a while during a long UMA phone call but it's not "continuously rebooting."
WRONG

That is NOT the case. I had installed it with/without the media card (the entire OS). No fix. I took out the media card. No fix. I reformatted the media card. No fix.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

WRONG

My Curve has not rebooted itself in months (aside from the rare reboot while on a UMA phone call--and even that hasn't happened with .124.) I don't know what's wrong with yours but it's NOT just an "incompatibility" with the device.
Closed Thread