BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #41
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

This may warrant its own thread, but why does RIM make such heavy OS upgrade's. I went through the .69 package and removed 224 of 422 .cod files - most of them support for non-English languages, preloaded media (video and pics) and apps I don't want (PTT, Blackberry Maps).

I know that additional languages can be deleted with the apploader, but why should people have to do this manually? Couldn't they just ask what languages you want. Plus, why not give people the option to delete the preloaded pictures?

The guy in the next office has a pearl with free device memory of only about 6 MB. That's ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone speaks English. PTT is 'limited' to Cingular's Pearl. Typically speaking, you'd rather have something unlocked, loaded and available rather than not having it on there. Also, do we know the specifics of contracts between RIM, the carriers, and the digital rights owners and/or application vendors for a lot of these modules?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #43
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

RIM writes the code for the carriers. If a carrier wants to release an English-only version then they can do it. And risk losing customers.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #44
jonpwil
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I upgraded from the latest T-Mobile code (.64 I think?) to this release.

I seem to have lost the Task List / To Do List Application.

Can anyone else confirm?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #45
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

I wish these things would come with release notes.
Anyone see any difference. upgrading from .67 to .69
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #46
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Contrary to popular belief not everyone speaks English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
If a carrier wants to release an English-only version then they can do it. And risk losing customers.
Jibi, did I say that there should be an English only version? No. I merely said that the software should be written so as to "ask what languages you [i.e., the user] want[s]," with the obvious consequence that only those languages would be loaded. NJBlackBerry, how would a carrier risk losing customers by allowing them an easier option to not load unneeded languages?

Of course, not everyone speaks English. That's why my Pearl came loaded with language files for UK English, Spanish, Mexican Spanish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, French, Catalan, Greek, Turkish, Swedish, and German. Did I forget any? My Pearl runs blazing fast now with all of this crap deleted (plus the preloaded ringtones and preloaded pictures deleted]. I just thought that others could benefit from this, and many don't have the time/interest to do it themselves.

Last edited by Spamdumpster; 12-12-2006 at 09:18 PM..
Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #47
mrpg

Model: 8320

^^ What language should it ask in?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #48
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpwil
I upgraded from the latest T-Mobile code (.64 I think?) to this release.

I seem to have lost the Task List / To Do List Application.

Can anyone else confirm?
was that a third party application? if so, then you most likely removed it by accident and need to reload.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #49
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpg
^^ What language should it ask in?

Point taken.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
Jibi, did I say that there should be an English only version? No. I merely said that the software should be written so as to "ask what languages you [i.e., the user] want[s]," with the obvious consequence that only those languages would be loaded.
Unfortunately(/fortunately), this isn't Burger King. You order a device and it has the software/OS preloaded with the default configuration. There are no alternate configurations. The customer will receive the device and have the ability to remove these languages if they want to do so. Honestly, it's not that complicated of a process and it's pretty flexible as to the modular add/remove options. I suppose they could send out step-by-step instructions on how to do so, but...

As far as the customer-base, as mentioned, not everyone is English. And unfortunately in the world of big business and cost-effective means of delivery and support, it makes perfect sense what the carriers have done in terms of issuing these devices. Some have chosen to offer the English-only downloads of them, but it's honestly been a while since I've seen one.

If we really want to look at a stupid/un-wise move by someone, just look at the Asian markets that don't even have input support for their native languages. Shame on no one but RIM for that blunder.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #51
nandosze

Model: 9000

Well guys I have tried to search for my answer. I just upgraded to the cingular s/w but I am confused. Why is it that my vendor id is still 100 when I do the alt/race shortcut? Also, my bookmarks are still tmobile. Was I wrong in thinking that this software would basically make this a cingular pearl and get rid of all the tmobile stuff? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, I am on Cingular.

Last edited by nandosze; 12-13-2006 at 03:02 AM..
Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #52
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Someone should really make a formal changelog for these things...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #53
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default I <3 my pearl. But...

Why does it take so long for a few bug fixes on anything blackberry related?

Why does blackberry's software download so slow? (Every update < 50 k/s)

Why does it seem like no ones listening?

Why are these things so expensive?

Why is software so expensive? (ffs $95 for idokorro's ssh)

Why is open-source software almost non existant? (note the almost)

hmm I should really learn how to code on the blackberry.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #54
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandosze
Well guys I have tried to search for my answer. I just upgraded to the cingular s/w but I am confused. Why is it that my vendor id is still 100 when I do the alt/race shortcut? Also, my bookmarks are still tmobile. Was I wrong in thinking that this software would basically make this a cingular pearl and get rid of all the tmobile stuff? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, I am on Cingular.
Vendor ID is hard coded to the device.
Splash screens are hard coded to the device.
One a T-Mobile Pearl, always a T-Mobile pearl.
Regardless of what SIM you have.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #55
nandosze

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That sucks. I wish it were like my razr. DL carrier s/w
and that's what you get. Ünbranded is even better. Thanks

Last edited by nandosze; 12-13-2006 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #56
kingkronik

Model: 8100
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
Nevermind, I figured it out...Thx
Care to share why it downgrades the maps?????
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #57
stac

Model: 8110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
PTT is locked to Cingular-branded devices (vendor ID 102). You can open the Platform.alx and remove the vendorID listing in there, or you can use my prepared Platform.alx in the zip file provided in the ALX thread.
Hey Jibi - how about putting a link to the page with the ALX files in your sig so people don't have to constantly ask you for it?

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #58
krmtdfrg25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Upgrade from .64 to .69 and have had no problem. I like the options for all the themes. Works great!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #59
srotman

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazeat
Why does it take so long for a few bug fixes on anything blackberry related?
Most companies, RIM included, plan ahead. So by now, RIM is focusing hard on getting the 8800 out next month. That means less people on Pearl development. Also, they don't fix a bug when one person complains, they need a large group to make enough of a fuss to get the ball rolling. My buddy works over there and told me they have a "task list" of things that need to be fixed and people just post new bugs they've found and they vote on the prioritization of the list. So if your bug isn't anywhere near the top, sitting around and playing Solitaire comes ahead of you.

Quote:
Why does blackberry's software download so slow? (Every update < 50 k/s)
Get better internet service! Granted I live in Toronto so I'm not far from RIM HQ, but I was downloading at 970KB/s just fine. There have been times where it's a tad slower, but that's when not coming from RIM (such as the O2 OS release a couple months ago).

Quote:
Why does it seem like no ones listening?
Because you ask 47 questions in one post. But apparently I have no life so I can take the time to answer.

Quote:
Why are these things so expensive?
Ever bought a computer before? Ever seen the price tag for a computer? Now try to estimate the cost of building that same computer with parts 1 millionth the size that can run on a single battery for roughly 2 days and, oh, ya, let you COMMUNICATE WITH THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' WORLD! I understand 1,2,or $300 isn't chump change, but I can definitely see it as justified compared to the feature set.

Quote:
Why is software so expensive? (ffs $95 for idokorro's ssh)
Now HERE we see eye-to-eye! How can people charge $20,$30,even $100 for BB software!!! I can't remember the name, but there's that full "office suite" program for BB that costs $199!!! Yet I can download OpenOffice for my computer for free. The BB software market is complete BS. The day someone figures out how to decompile COD files into JAR's we'll see a big drop in price because competition will grow immensely among software developers.

Quote:
Why is open-source software almost non existant? (note the almost)
See my answer above. I agree, though, that we need more open source projects. And there's really no excuse for it, I mean it's Java we're talking about here! Such a universal language! But it doesn't help that every other mobile phone on the planet uses the standard Java ME platform and BB's have their own "special" Java BB-ME platform.

Quote:
hmm I should really learn how to code on the blackberry.
Yes. Yes you should. Then no waiting for someone to release a program that does something simple that you like, like MAKE A DECENT ALARM CLOCK ALREADY!!! (and then charge $49.95 for it ).

Last edited by srotman; 12-13-2006 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #60
PressureDrop

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

So last night I did the .64 upgrade that Tmo emailed me about earlier in the week. Today I decided to try the .69 upgrade but nothing happens. I cant get it to install. I tried from my lap top with a clean install of the desktop software and then a clean install of the .69 handheld software and then plug in the 8100 and nothing happens. How do I do it manually? I have read several other threads but I haven't managed to find the step by step instructions to do an upgrade. When I did the .64 last night when I plugged in the 8100 I got instant notice than an upgrade was ready but now, as I said, nothing. I am not an idiot but this is completely new to me Thanks!
-Zac-
Closed Thread