Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Some leters and numbers
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

The important thing to insuring a long batt life, is when you first get the phone instead of pulling it out of the bax and immediatly talking on it and messing with it. It needs to go on the charger and completly charge 1 full cycle to 100% before the first use.

I use mine for Bus. and I talk on mine ALL day and send loads of IM's, emails and texts. It goes down around 1400 hours. The useage starts around 0730 hours. To me thats pretty good since the batt is so small and the phone is constanly commuinicating with the network. For those new to Verizon our phones are constantly commuinicating back and forth with the network and as some said its a lot worse when your bouncing between coverage. Just my $.02
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #22
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

So no one has released a more powerful battery in the same form-factor as the original Pearl battery?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #23
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Seidio has released a slim extended battery (1250 mAhr; with door) for the original Pearl that only added a tiny amount of depth to the back. I don't know if that will work with the 8130, though. I would assume they will be creating one soon, though.

1250MAH SLIM EXTENDED BATTERY FOR 8100 - *BACY13BB8100G02-BK

Update: I just noticed Mark_Venture's post about the 8130 using the same battery as the original Pearl. I would assume, then, that one could use Seidio's extended battery designed for the original Pearl. I just don't know if the back cover would work, though.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 11-13-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #24
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Seidio has released a slim extended battery (1250 mAhr; with door) for the original Pearl that only added a tiny amount of depth to the back. I don't know if that will work with the 8130, though. I would assume they will be creating one soon, though.

1250MAH SLIM EXTENDED BATTERY FOR 8100 - *BACY13BB8100G02-BK

Update: I just noticed Mark_Venture's post about the 8130 using the same battery as the original Pearl. I would assume, then, that one could use Seidio's extended battery designed for the original Pearl. I just don't know if the back cover would work, though.
Ask Seidio if it will work (the guy used to be on this forum quite a bit, esp when a new product came out). They also make a 2400mAH battery/cover. The cover has a speaker opening that makes it a lot louder too. I have the slim extended one (Tmob) and am a moderate user (on all day, off during night, not a lot of talk, mostly email/txt/mms). Mine goes about 4-5 days to 20%. I have a hunch some email accounts drain it more, but my OEM battery went 3 days. Be aware that you can't use the thin snap on cases with the bigger battery, the skins/pouches are fine.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #25
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Ask Seidio if it will work (the guy used to be on this forum quite a bit, esp when a new product came out). They also make a 2400mAH battery/cover. The cover has a speaker opening that makes it a lot louder too. I have the slim extended one (Tmob) and am a moderate user (on all day, off during night, not a lot of talk, mostly email/txt/mms). Mine goes about 4-5 days to 20%. I have a hunch some email accounts drain it more, but my OEM battery went 3 days. Be aware that you can't use the thin snap on cases with the bigger battery, the skins/pouches are fine.
Thanks for the info, guys.

That sounds like a potential option...I'll give it a look. The current back cover won't work w/the 8130 due to the differernt orientation of the camera/vanity mirror, etc., on the back of the 8130, but the battery should work fine.

I was going to use the silicon case from Verizon, but I'll give that up for longer battery life...what I'm hearing here and on HoFo about battery life is concerning to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #26
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

FWIW, while the battery isn't the most stellar I've experienced, it is definitely sufficient for heavy usage and not by any means a show stopper.

I've been using it for a few days on BIS with 5 accounts, run BBWeather with updates ever 15 minutes, surf the web for about 30 minutes, have google talk running all the time, send about 20 emails, and make and receive on average 15 phone calls totaling 45 minutes.

After all that, my battery shows about 15% remaining at 11:00 pm. I've always charged my battery every night so this is not a problem.

Just FYI, I always lock the keypad, keep the backlight set to auto, and keep all system sounds off. I don't know if it makes a difference, but those are my settings.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #27
jnyost

Model: 9550

I also lock the keypad. I've also turned the backlight brightness down to 50% hoping it would help but it didn't.

Can't wait to get my new battery from ebay and see how it does. I installed my battery from my 7130e but it wouldn't power up. It looked like it was going to boot but it came up to a picture with a battery with an line through it. It's a little thicker, but the door still fit. I was stoked and thought I'd be able to use it but no go...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

I wouldn't expect anything more from your new battery than the one that comes w/the Pearl, unless the ebay battery has a higher mAH rating...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
digital21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Battery is Great !

I dont know what you guys are talking about , I use my verizon pearl all day - tons of texts and emails - surf the web / facebook and myspace - make tons of calls and still have plenty of battery life at the end of the day. If its that big of deal for you people then leave the wall charger at home, bring the usb charger to work or the other way around and cough up 20$ for a car charger !
Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #30
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

I think the expectation is that it should last a minimum of a full day of regular use w/out needing "band-aid" charging thoughout the day...saying "just keep recharging it all day" would not be an acceptable option for many of us.

It does seem like there are widely varying results in terms of battery life....looking forward to seeing my results in this area.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #31
digital21

"would not be an acceptable option for many of us."

Ok?

Unless you work in the woods in the middle of no where and are never in a car or near a computer or outlet all day everyday - then maybe I can see it not being an acceptable option. If not then just plug it in! Why does it matter if you plug it when driving or sitting at work. If its such an "unacceptable option for many of you" - buy an extra battery ! jezzz
Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital21 View Post
"would not be an acceptable option for many of us."

Ok?

Unless you work in the woods in the middle of no where and are never in a car or near a computer or outlet all day everyday - then maybe I can see it not being an acceptable option. If not then just plug it in! Why does it matter if you plug it when driving or sitting at work. If its such an "unacceptable option for many of you" - buy an extra battery ! jezzz
I won't keep a phone that won't run a minimum of a full day (morning until lights out at night) w/out needing charging...having to be sure I could get a car, or wall outlet or computer charge every day just isn't meeting the my most basic requirements for a phone.

Not asking you to agree w/me, just expecting you to understand that everyone doesn't agree with you.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #33
digital21

I’m not aware of any phone (blackberry or not) that can hold a charge ALL DAY while still being used for emails,web,calls,texts, the whole day. Good luck trying to find that. But I have an idea that will fix your problem, take back the phone if the battery is not up to your standards. That way you wont have to worry about it anymore ! All will be well in the world.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #34
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I wouldn't expect anything more from your new battery than the one that comes w/the Pearl, unless the ebay battery has a higher mAH rating...
No. I was more-so thinking that maybe there is something wrong with mine as I'm not getting what others are.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #35
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital21 View Post
I’m not aware of any phone (blackberry or not) that can hold a charge ALL DAY while still being used for emails,web,calls,texts, the whole day. Good luck trying to find that. But I have an idea that will fix your problem, take back the phone if the battery is not up to your standards. That way you wont have to worry about it anymore ! All will be well in the world.
My 7130 and my 8830 held a charge all day while being used extensively. Don't know why you think it's not possible.

Here's an idea... take a look at the original thread. I'm asking for input on how other's batteries are doing compared to mine. It appears that the split is about 50/50 on good/bad. We are not bashing the phone.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #36
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

3 things kill phone batteries fast: BT, constant searching for a signal, and call time. All of these use radios constantly. Even searching shuts down every so often. The other stuff (email, music, browsing) is small change. I think any battery should last a whole working day unless you make hours of calls of course.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #37
obeythelaw

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

i want to modify my response to this thread. i was playing around with my pearl last night and noticed that i had many programs open like VZ Nav. media player, and opera mini. Now I close them when I'm not using them and today i've still got half of my battery left after 20 or so emails and 30 or so text messages and about 2 hours worth of talking.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #38
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
i want to modify my response to this thread. i was playing around with my pearl last night and noticed that i had many programs open like VZ Nav. media player, and opera mini. Now I close them when I'm not using them and today i've still got half of my battery left after 20 or so emails and 30 or so text messages and about 2 hours worth of talking.
That's good news...thanks for posting the update. I can see how VZNav could be a drain, but I'd hope Opera and Media Player would be pretty negligable just sitting in the background.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #39
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
No. I was more-so thinking that maybe there is something wrong with mine as I'm not getting what others are.
OK, thanks...didn't read it that way. Hope things work out.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #40
ejfiii

Carrier: verizon

Day two update.

Unplug from allnight charge at 7:30am. 6 or so short calls and 10 emails before 9am. 9-10am conference call. 10 more short calls and about 20 emails by 1pm. Low battery indicator on. On 10 minute call at 2:30 and the phone hangs up from lack of power. Here's where it gets interesting. Plug into car charger and it shows as charging. Problem is it says the battery is so low it wont let me use the radio (phone). This lasted 30 minutes of being plugged into the car charger. Finally it let me make a call.

This is all with BES and no pop email, yes BT headset, no roaming, no internet or text messages.

So I called the VIP number and got a note in my account that my phone was defective and I went to the local store and swapped it out for a new one tonight.

BES is synchronizing right now and I will charge it through the night again. I will update as appropriate tomorrow. I hope its not the phone design.
Closed Thread