Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
--G--
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g
Default BlackBerry Usage in Bangdladesh

Please Login to Remove!

Is this possible?

We have a small network of 7100g's (edit: forgot to say we are with BT in the uk) and our company travel to Bangdladesh frequently. The last person out there failed to recieve any mail at all.

I have checked all the usual things, and it just appears that the device is not talking to the BES.

The handheld works fine as a phone, however can only find a GSM network out there.

Can anyone help me please? Can we use it in Bangdladesh? Do I have to make changes to the handhelds that are going out there? Even if you could point me in the right direction I would appricate it.

I have searched this forum and I cant find anything on it. And trusty sidekick google is strugglin as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and girls can give.

G

Last edited by --G--; 02-28-2006 at 05:08 AM..
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Fkewl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell

I think you have analog-only coverage in that area (no digital, no email)

check with your service provider and see if they have a roaming coverage map of bangladesh

i know my provider (Telus in Canada) has "international" sim cards, which let you use the GSM network (we are PCS and iDEN) with selected international providers when overseas

they cost $CAN 25 , so it's not a high-priced solution
but youll need to pay roaming charges

With sufficient thrust, Blackberrys can fly

Last edited by Fkewl; 02-28-2006 at 12:37 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
--G--

Thanks very much. I will get in touch with British Telecom and find out what they can tell me.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
sato

Model: 7780

Your problem is most probably related to the fact that you don't have GPRS access in that country.
You can use the device as a phone because you do have digital GSM coverage, but you don't have the data option that the RIM uses so you can get/send emails.
Even with the Telus roaming option, it has to be seen if GPRS is enabled in all countries.

Check BT list of roaming partners, and see where GPRS is supported.

Sato
Old 03-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
--G--

I have checked with BT, and there is NO coverage in that area. :<
Old 03-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by --G--
Is this possible?

We have a small network of 7100g's (edit: forgot to say we are with BT in the uk) and our company travel to Bangdladesh frequently. The last person out there failed to recieve any mail at all.

I have checked all the usual things, and it just appears that the device is not talking to the BES.

The handheld works fine as a phone, however can only find a GSM network out there.

Can anyone help me please? Can we use it in Bangdladesh? Do I have to make changes to the handhelds that are going out there? Even if you could point me in the right direction I would appricate it.

I have searched this forum and I cant find anything on it. And trusty sidekick google is strugglin as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and girls can give.

G
Through trial and error we've found that on some devices' settings, SMS is set to GSM by default. However, on newer devices like the 7100, data really wants to go through GPRS, and we found that some problems, including not being able to perform an Enterprise Activation, won't work without SMS being set to GPRS Preferred. This theory was recently confirmed by an Enterprise Cingular support person.
I suppose this won't help if no service is available, but it's worth double checking and setting anyway.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
--G--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
Through trial and error we've found that on some devices' settings, SMS is set to GSM by default. However, on newer devices like the 7100, data really wants to go through GPRS, and we found that some problems, including not being able to perform an Enterprise Activation, won't work without SMS being set to GPRS Preferred. This theory was recently confirmed by an Enterprise Cingular support person.
I suppose this won't help if no service is available, but it's worth double checking and setting anyway.

do you mean the "Network To Send Over" from GSM (which it is on) to GPRS Preferred?

Do you think that would work?

(please excuse my lack of knowledge!)

Cheers
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #8
--G--

I tried this, with no luck..

What I am confused over, is WHY the device will not work out there. There is a GSM network (according to http://www.grameenphone.com/index.php and http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_bd.shtml ) Am I correct in saying that GSM is no good to send data over? must is be GPRS?

Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, it must be both GPRS and the carrier must support BlackBerrys. Not every GPRS network does. The carrier needs to have BlackBerry data relay set up too...
Old 03-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #10
--G--

ah ok...can you please help me understand the differance between GSM and GPRS...I understand that GPRS is faster data transmitter...is GPRS the lowest level that a blackberry will work on?

I know this is not the correct forum, but I have been asked if a ipaq would work out there, my logic is that it wont, seeing as the Blackberry cannot get GPRS out there, surely you need GPRS to transmit data?

I read about this EDGE, but it appears the the highest level we can get out in Bangladesh is GSM...which, from what I can gather, is just basically voice only (inc sms) am I corrent?
Closed Thread