Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Question Can not find BBAS-AS Log File in Log Folder

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

Just finished BES 5.0.1 installation.
All Services are started now except MDS Conn Service.
I am trying to access BB Administration Service. But I am constantly getting Page Can not be displayed Error
Strange thing is that I can't find BBAS-AS log file under today's folder in BES installation location. I can see log files for all other services.
I am not sure why AS logs are not getting generated.
Both the AS services are running properly.
Even when I start/stop AS Service, still there is no log file generated.

Is BBAS logs generate at diff location? Or am I missing something.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hemant
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
hemant.bobade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Still having the same issue.
ANy idea what may be going wrong here.

Environment Details:-
BES 5.0.1
Windows Server 2008 SP2
MS Exchange Server 2007
Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
hemant.bobade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question Still having Same ISSUE!!!!

Hello All,

I ran the setup.exe once again, but still having the same issue.
All services are started except MDS Conn Service.

When I am trying to access the BB Admin Service and BB Web Desktop Manager, I am getting Page Can't be displayed Error in browser.
Log for these services are also not getting generated.

Even when I go to BES --> BlackBerry Server Configuration --> Logging, I can see only entry for BlackBerry Controller in BB services Log setting frame. Is it proper(shouldn't there be entry for all the services)? OR is there any issue here.

When I am starting the MDS COnn service, it immediately stops.
Three is no log for MDSS is generating, I found following entry in the initialization.log file generated under today's date folder.

Quote:
invalid srp id - MDSCS could not start because it has no BES instance defined..
For above issue, I found that I need to assign BES to the MDS service, but here I am not able to access BB Administration Interface.

Any idea what may be going wrong here?
I am not getting any clue to solve this issue, as log is also not generated.

Thanks and greatly appreciate you response,
Hemant

Last edited by hemant.bobade; 01-29-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
hemant.bobade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

Strange!!! This is my 3rd reply to my own post. haven't got any solution yet.
Any way, just a small update from my side.
AS there is no log generated for BAS service, I am not going to move forward.
When I start/stop BAS-AS OR BAS -NCC service I am getting following entry in Windows Event Log.

Quote:
The description for Event ID 1 from source BAS-AS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of 0, the service is being stopped.
Similar entry is generated for BAS-NCC service in Event Viewer.

I came across a post describing the similar issue, that guy has resolved this issue by moving back to Windows Server 2003 from 2008 SP2.
But I checked the compatibility matrix for Windows OS and BES, and for BES 5.0.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2 is supported platform.

Any suggestions?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hemant

Last edited by hemant.bobade; 02-03-2010 at 01:33 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
banthon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: various

I experienced the same issue here.

BAS services are starting according to services.msc but not log files are created and BAS website is not accessible. There is an entry in the Windows Event-Log that BAS-AS created an unknown event with event-ID 4....

Issue first occured after upgrading BES 5.0 to SP1 including MR1 (BESX)

Did you solve the issue ? I have no clue what this is....
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
notes_pclp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

For what it is worth, I have a remote BAS install and the logs are in the standard directory. Also running 2008 SP2, BES 5.0.1..

But built the servers at this ver. so might be a upgrade related issue.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
cblay

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Same Issue

as of last week my logs for BBAS-AS are not showing up. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
paulab

Model: 7100t
Carrier: vodafone
Default Admin console Issue as well

Hi all
Same issue as Hemant, but on a diffent setup.
No BBAS-AS log file is generated although the service is running.
My configuration is Win 2003 standard, Exchange 2003 server is a DC and GC
Followed the guides to the letter and the online tutorial.
Also completely removed SQL, BES Express, and JRE and reinstalled them again but still cannot access the Webconsole on the address that it should be on.........
Later that day......
Strangely, after changing the services account to local system and then back to the besadmin on AS and NCC services (I did that because of the dependancy) the BBAS logs suddenly appeared..weird, what. The browser is IE8 and running in compatability mode. Language set to Auto.
I have tried to use the MR1 and MR2 upgrades but I suspect that because the bundle version I have installed is 5 according to Add/remove progs>BES for Exchange>support info, the upgrade will not continue (In the upgrade notes bundle 5 is not included) should I get the MR2 from elsewhere for the Express version??
I Don't want to waste my free support call until I have exhausted the forums but this issue seems to be out there quite a lot without a a real cure.

Any help appreciated
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
corebin

Model: 8900
Carrier: rogers
Default Resolution to Missing BBAS-AS

This is a known bug not sure if updates, SPs, and MRs have fixed it.

But to resolve the problem well workaround it:

Log into the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account.
Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Administration Service\Key Store\CacertsKeyStorePass

If the CacertsKeyStorePass key exists, export the HKEY_Current_User\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Administration Service\Key Store registry key.

Delete the CacertsKeyStorePass key.

Restart the BlackBerry Administration Service - Native Code Container and BlackBerry Administration Service - Application Server.

Note: A restart of the BlackBerry Administration Service - Native Code Container will also restart the BlackBerry Administration Service - Application Server.

After the BBAS-AS.exe process has reached 300MB in Task Manager, attempt to launch the BlackBerry Administration Service web console.

this fixed my problem. Hope it works for you!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
PsPaPa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

Hear hear !!! in just three hours time solved. so how do we change the PW on the CACERT then ? Any ideas
Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Azmere

Model: 8300
Carrier: Telstra

I also had the same issue after updating to SP2. However the fixes mentioned above(corebin's post) were what I had previously done when these issues cropped up. However after the most recent one I found that bas-as.exe service would not go past 20mb in processes and that the BAS-AS log file was no longer being updated.

I located the bas-as_err.log file and this gave me the TDP error mentioned in another thread I've posted in. In my case this appears to be related to certificates we had updated a week before. The issue only became apparent after we restarted the BES.

So if the comments in the above posts dont work for you look for the bas-as_err.log file and see if you are not in the same boat as me.

Last edited by Azmere; 10-21-2010 at 09:37 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
DFcontra

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Can not find BBAS-AS Log File in Log Folder

Running BES 5.0.2 MR2:

I ran into the same problems mentioned above (no BBAS-AS log and BAS-AS service only reached ~23MB) after trying to import a cert into BAS via "KB12887-How to replace a self-signed SSL certificate with a custom certificate after the installation of BlackBerry Administration Service" (Sorry can't post URLs yet).

On Azmere's tip (thanks!) I checked C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BAS\jboss\ejb\bin\bas-as_err.log and found:

Code:
[Fatal Error] cluster-service.xml:136:23: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.
Error encountered while starting server: Existing configuration files seem to be corrupted.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Existing configuration files seem to be corrupted.
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.TransportProtocolConfigurator.configureTransportProtocols(TransportProtocolConfigurator.java:318)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.BASMain.initialize(BASMain.java:1354)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.BASMain.main(BASMain.java:1065)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
	at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.basprobe.XMLFileEditor.<init>(XMLFileEditor.java:95)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.basprobe.BASConfigFileTransportProtocolEditor.<init>(BASConfigFileTransportProtocolEditor.java:106)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.basprobe.ConfigFile.getEditor(ConfigFile.java:248)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.basprobe.ConfigFile.setToUDPMulticast(ConfigFile.java:276)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.basprobe.ConfigFile.setAllToUDPMulticast(ConfigFile.java:333)
	at com.rim.bes.bas.system.TransportProtocolConfigurator.configureTransportProtocols(TransportProtocolConfigurator.java:242)
	... 2 more
I checked C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BAS\jboss\ejb\server\default\deploy\cluster-service.xml and found that it had been truncated to exactly 8.0KB. I WinMerge compared it to another copy of the file from another BES and the first 8KB were identical, so I replaced the file and restarted the services and everything came up fine.
Closed Thread